Help for highwaydirtbikes handguards - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-26-2013, 12:14 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Help for highwaydirtbikes handguards

Hello all,

I used to ride a XR650L with a group of guys a few years back and one of them had hand guards from Highwaydirtbikes.com. They are basically indestructible and look awesome, especially with the mirrors they offer, and I was always jealous. So I contacted them about hand guards for the Versys and, although they have never outfitted one, they are interested in adding to their line. Paul has returned my emails and this is what he had to say:

"The easy part would be pics and an idea if there would be any fitment issues with the levers, perches or big reservoirs.

The bars, if they're steel and already have threaded inserts would be what size they're threaded for the bar end weights. Also the overall width is important because I only make 2 lengths of guards.

I have longer guards for applications with bar end weights and I usually like to keep the weights too, but mainly on account of these types of dual sports typically have longer levers and I hate it when guys cut the balls off or try and shorten them.

Then the usual top clamp bolt pattern since we'll be replacing yours with a one piece version.

Get me as much info as far as the top clamp bolt pattern and pics along with anything you can see that might be an issue with fitment, key location, instruments and large brake reservoirs that you can, and I'll see what I can do.

Thanks,
Paul"

First, I have an '09 and definitely want a set of these, are there any others out there that are also interested? I am hoping he is able to develop a direct bolt-on product (including keeping factory bar-end weights) that can be completely reversible back to stock if needed.

Second, while I can take all the pictures he wants, my skills in measuring don't go beyond your basic measuring tape. Does anyone know some of the above measurements and/or can predict whether there might be a fitment issue?

I know there are other options out there like Barkbusters, Cycra, Acerbis, etc but really like the look of these if they are possible. Thanks in advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-28-2013, 06:08 PM

HDB's are the best handguards anyone makes, period. Paul will work with you, just measure what you can & explain what you are measuring with. Or take it to a shop or friend that is capable of measuring it closer than you can. Because everyone adjust their bars & levers slightly different, I always wind up tweaking the handgaurds a bit in my vice to make the ends square with the bars & the clamp end flush with the bar clamp. Some of the lessor brands are thin enough that some just tighten the bolts & pull them up. but the HDB's are enough stronger it's best to massage them to fit perfectly.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-29-2013, 09:02 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4play View Post
HDB's are the best handguards anyone makes, period. Paul will work with you, just measure what you can & explain what you are measuring with. Or take it to a shop or friend that is capable of measuring it closer than you can. Because everyone adjust their bars & levers slightly different, I always wind up tweaking the handgaurds a bit in my vice to make the ends square with the bars & the clamp end flush with the bar clamp. Some of the lessor brands are thin enough that some just tighten the bolts & pull them up. but the HDB's are enough stronger it's best to massage them to fit perfectly.
Yes it's surprising just how rugged they are. Ive seen them hold up in quite a few trails crashes. I figured I would post it here to see if any others were interested and I've taken some basic measurements and pics to send to Paul.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-28-2013, 12:20 AM

HDB handgaurds

post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-28-2013, 02:08 AM

Garage
BarkBusters work for me and you don't have to reinvent the wheel.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-28-2013, 07:37 AM

Garage
Where is Paul located, it is possible that if a member was within riding distance, they my be willing to ride over and let Paul take a first hand look.

I highly doubt it, (because I'm never close to anything) but if he were within 200 miles of me, I'd be happy to take my bike over to him for a day.

Mitch
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-28-2013, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slow-Steady View Post
Where is Paul located, it is possible that if a member was within riding distance, they my be willing to ride over and let Paul take a first hand look.

I highly doubt it, (because I'm never close to anything) but if he were within 200 miles of me, I'd be happy to take my bike over to him for a day.

Mitch
Niwot Colorado ......

Northwest suburb of Denver
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-22-2013, 01:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tin Man View Post
Hello all,

I used to ride a XR650L with a group of guys a few years back and one of them had hand guards from Highwaydirtbikes.com. They are basically indestructible and look awesome, especially with the mirrors they offer, and I was always jealous. So I contacted them about hand guards for the Versys and, although they have never outfitted one, they are interested in adding to their line. Paul has returned my emails and this is what he had to say:

"The easy part would be pics and an idea if there would be any fitment issues with the levers, perches or big reservoirs.

The bars, if they're steel and already have threaded inserts would be what size they're threaded for the bar end weights. Also the overall width is important because I only make 2 lengths of guards.

I have longer guards for applications with bar end weights and I usually like to keep the weights too, but mainly on account of these types of dual sports typically have longer levers and I hate it when guys cut the balls off or try and shorten them.

Then the usual top clamp bolt pattern since we'll be replacing yours with a one piece version.

Get me as much info as far as the top clamp bolt pattern and pics along with anything you can see that might be an issue with fitment, key location, instruments and large brake reservoirs that you can, and I'll see what I can do.

Thanks,
Paul"

First, I have an '09 and definitely want a set of these, are there any others out there that are also interested? I am hoping he is able to develop a direct bolt-on product (including keeping factory bar-end weights) that can be completely reversible back to stock if needed.

Second, while I can take all the pictures he wants, my skills in measuring don't go beyond your basic measuring tape. Does anyone know some of the above measurements and/or can predict whether there might be a fitment issue?

I know there are other options out there like Barkbusters, Cycra, Acerbis, etc but really like the look of these if they are possible. Thanks in advance!
Any luck in fitting those HDB handguards on the Versys?
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-27-2013, 04:45 PM Thread Starter

I gave up on the HDB guards. I didn't have the know how to give exact measurements and it seemed like he would have needed a bike to actually work from. I would still be interested in getting them if he ever stocks them.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-27-2013, 06:13 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
Seems like you could give a call out for versys owners near him, and maybe he would give them a discount or if they aren't interested they would be helping others who want them. Worth a try.

I have the OEM handguards and am happy with the fit and finish. Might look at the HDB if he makes them in kawi green for my KLX250S.

My Versys Travels:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode