Top rack and trunk or side cases??? - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 35 (permalink) Old 03-25-2013, 10:14 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Top rack and trunk or side cases???

I'm trying to decide if I want a top rack and trunk or side cases for storage.

I have never liked the look of a trunk, but I don't like how wide a bike gets with side cases either. Mostly i'll ride solo, however will take my daughter for rides once in a while and wonder if she may feel more comfy with a trunk behind her.

Any thoughts from people who've had or have either or?? and which they prefer and why? I know some will say get both, but that's not going to happen, I have to decide between one or the other.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 35 (permalink) Old 03-25-2013, 11:04 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...ad.php?t=22986

2009 Blue Versys.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #3 of 35 (permalink) Old 03-26-2013, 11:07 AM

Garage
I have both on my bike.

If I had to choose between one or the other that would be difficult. I prefer the look of the bike with just the side cases. But I like the functionality of the top case. I can fit more stuff in the 2 side cases together, but bigger things in the top case.

On my bike I have bolted the top case onto the rack(it had a tendency to fall off if I jumped the bike off speed bumps! ) I usually have the side cases on as well, but they come and go, while the top is always on even before bolting it. My side cases are no wider than my bars, so the width is not something I worried about.

08' Versys
Givi racks with V35 sides, and V46 Top-case, Garmin Zumo 450 GPS, Powermadd Handguards, Motowerks GPS Mount, Peg Lowering kit, Flat Foot, Arrow Exhaust, Adjustable Levers, GIPro Gear Indicator, Oxford Heated Grips

post #4 of 35 (permalink) Old 03-26-2013, 11:32 AM

Top case is more convenient and less cumbersome, but side cases hold more and look nicer. the V35 or E21 and probably most other cases aren't much wider than the bars, if at all. My $0.02, since you asked, is go with side cases if you can't have both.

Jon
'09 Versys in Blue
post #5 of 35 (permalink) Old 03-26-2013, 04:16 PM

+1 on the topcase route. Plenty of room without the wide hips.

BTW, a back rest for any passenger is a BIG +, I would not let my daughter ride without.

post #6 of 35 (permalink) Old 03-26-2013, 07:23 PM

Top case for certain then side cases if you need more storage.
post #7 of 35 (permalink) Old 03-26-2013, 09:12 PM

Didn't we just have this discussion last week?

Landon
09 Verseys
06 KLX250s
post #8 of 35 (permalink) Old 03-26-2013, 09:42 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Landon View Post
I think we should get back chain lube
post #9 of 35 (permalink) Old 03-26-2013, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLACK DOG View Post
I thought oil was the next revolving topic up.

Landon
09 Verseys
06 KLX250s
post #10 of 35 (permalink) Old 03-26-2013, 10:48 PM

Quote:
Gottta remember that this is a growing community with a multitude of skill sets and knowledge levels.
post #11 of 35 (permalink) Old 03-26-2013, 11:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avande View Post
Any thoughts from people who've had or have either or?? and which they prefer and why? I know some will say get both, but that's not going to happen, I have to decide between one or the other.
Depends on your riding and your needs. Like with everything else there are tradeoffs.

I had both on my last bike, and while I had the trunk on most of the time and used it a lot, I pretty much only mounted the sidecases when I would be traveling.

I've only added one of those two to my Versys. Considering how much I relied on the top case on the last bike you might guess it was that. But it wasn't. I still only use my big sidecases traveling. I have some smaller ones for local stuff. But mostly I only use a tail bag or tank bag.

Side cases are better for heavier stuff--tho most setups of either top or sidecase will have low weight limits. A pair of sidecases will typically have more volume than a top case.

Top case is much better than sidecases if you filter through traffic. OTOH it doesn't hold as much, and it can increase the effect gusty cross winds have on the bike.

Even the contoured Givi V35s sidecases and the tiny Givi E21s stick out wider than the bars. Narrower than the bars is better but can still cause trouble if you forget it's there.
post #12 of 35 (permalink) Old 03-26-2013, 11:46 PM

+1 top case...don't now where you live, but if lane-splitting is legal there, that might sway the decision. I see people doing it, but I wouldn't like to split lanes with sidecases...I need to know that if my handlebars fit through, so will the rest of me! If I need more space than my top trunk, out comes the expandable magnetic tank bag. If I need even more space, out comes the expandable tail bag. If I need even more space, I take the truck.

It seems most people like the looks of the V better with side cases as opposed to a top case. I am the opposite...I think the side cases block one of the cool (distinctive?) features (side view, rear end) of the bike and with them on it looks a lot more like an "ordinary" sport bike to me. Then again, Hawk's front fender fixes that problem and I catch crap from by dirt bike buddies for that "pizza box" hanging off the back of my V!
Besides, from directly behind, I don't like that "wide-body" look, just like with...well, nevermind.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CIMG1216.jpg (68.4 KB, 70 views)
File Type: jpg 2012-08-03_17-56-53_110.jpg (71.2 KB, 77 views)

Ride to live, live to ride.
2009 Kawasaki Versys
2010 Yamaha YZ 250F
2008 Honda CRF 450
2006 Honda CR 250R
I've owned a Maico.
post #13 of 35 (permalink) Old 03-27-2013, 05:04 AM

Quote:
Ummm, Yeah. And the week before and the week before and the week before
post #14 of 35 (permalink) Old 03-27-2013, 12:05 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLACK DOG View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capn Kirk View Post
Ummm, Yeah. And the week before and the week before and the week before
ISN'T it time for a "tire thread"...?

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #15 of 35 (permalink) Old 03-27-2013, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
ISN'T it time for a "tire thread"...?

fools dance where angels fear to tread
post #16 of 35 (permalink) Old 03-27-2013, 01:04 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
I remember when i was new here and asked a lot of questions i'm sure had been asked many times and the folks on this forum were always helpful and very patient with me. Thats why this forum and its members have more "class" than any forum i've been on.

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #17 of 35 (permalink) Old 03-27-2013, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weljo2001 View Post
I remember when i was new here and asked a lot of questions i'm sure had been asked many times and the folks on this forum were always helpful and very patient with me. Thats why this forum and its members have more "class" than any forum i've been on.
post #18 of 35 (permalink) Old 03-27-2013, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weljo2001 View Post
It seems to me that the majority of the posters are positive & helpfull.
There is a group with a warped sense of humor (like myself), but group that could be described as a horse's rectal orifice is amazingly small.
post #19 of 35 (permalink) Old 03-27-2013, 05:39 PM
FSM

+1 on top case.

I have both, while I definitely think the bike looks cooler with the side ones, the top is hands down more convenient (at least for me) I commute with it.

Side ones are more for trips.

Gotta say that for a passenger, the top case gives them a lot of security.

I would say that I couldn't go back to the backpack after having a top (or side case).

Heck, why dont you get both lol.

F.
post #20 of 35 (permalink) Old 03-27-2013, 10:01 PM

I went with Kawasaki rear seat bag and Kawasaki Rack. Had boxes on my 1050 Tiger and they were ok, but over rated unless you are traveling long distances, IMO.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode