looked at a versys - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 43 (permalink) Old 01-24-2009, 01:40 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
looked at a versys

there was a blue one at the dealer i sat on the machine..im 6,1 and it fit me perfect first thing i notices was the seat felt great and the bars where perfect..kawasaki was only sending them two ,,the other one will be green ...could of got it for 6500... they located a new 07 honda 919 in the crate ......... last year they said there where none around..so i jumped on the 919...there was a sales person there who races the ninja 650 as a professional....he told me he rode the versys and said its the most fun in the street he had and getting the wheel off the ground was easy no problem at all....but you guys all ready know that....what a great bike for the money
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 43 (permalink) Old 01-24-2009, 01:54 PM
Super Moderator

So you're sayin' you bought the Honda?

post #3 of 43 (permalink) Old 01-24-2009, 02:31 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bear on a bicycle View Post
So you're sayin' you bought the Honda?
yes bought the 919 ... i like the old school naked look

post #4 of 43 (permalink) Old 01-24-2009, 07:10 PM

It's hard to walk away from old school naked. 919 is a nice bike.
post #5 of 43 (permalink) Old 01-24-2009, 08:34 PM

Where are you located ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by maybeversys View Post
there was a blue one at the dealer i sat on the machine..im 6,1 and it fit me perfect first thing i notices was the seat felt great and the bars where perfect..kawasaki was only sending them two ,,the other one will be green ...could of got it for 6500... they located a new 07 honda 919 in the crate ......... last year they said there where none around..so i jumped on the 919...there was a sales person there who races the ninja 650 as a professional....he told me he rode the versys and said its the most fun in the street he had and getting the wheel off the ground was easy no problem at all....but you guys all ready know that....what a great bike for the money
I saw a green one at my local dealer but they would not negotiate the price, the lowest they would go would be $7000 Out the Door on a 2009 Green Versys.

I wonder where you are located that they were willing to do $6500, was that out the door or do you have to add tax, tag, title to that ?

They also have a 2008 650R NEW which they are letting it go for $6000 Out the Door ? What do you guys think of that deal ? The bike MSRP was $6500 for 2008 and the $6800 MSRP for 2009.

I would rather have a Versys, but money talks, I would settle for the 650R...
post #6 of 43 (permalink) Old 01-24-2009, 09:25 PM

Quote:
im 6,1 and it fit me perfect first thing i notices was the seat felt great and the bars where perfect
I'm 5'5" and I felt the same way. Everything was right within reach on the Versys that I test rode. It's quite a testament to Kawasaki's design that two people of such different stature have the same feel about the same bike.
post #7 of 43 (permalink) Old 01-24-2009, 11:24 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by josh View Post
It's hard to walk away from old school naked. 919 is a nice bike.
...thanks josh..it was hard the versys look great
post #8 of 43 (permalink) Old 01-24-2009, 11:30 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpenney View Post
I'm 5'5" and I felt the same way. Everything was right within reach on the Versys that I test rode. It's quite a testament to Kawasaki's design that two people of such different stature have the same feel about the same bike.
,,..it was scary how good the bike felt in the within 3 sec i said this is perfect.....problem for me was i always had motors over 1000 ci so it was do i stick with the devil i know or go with the devil i dont know
post #9 of 43 (permalink) Old 01-24-2009, 11:51 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVNET View Post
I saw a green one at my local dealer but they would not negotiate the price, the lowest they would go would be $7000 Out the Door on a 2009 Green Versys.

I wonder where you are located that they were willing to do $6500, was that out the door or do you have to add tax, tag, title to that ?

They also have a 2008 650R NEW which they are letting it go for $6000 Out the Door ? What do you guys think of that deal ? The bike MSRP was $6500 for 2008 and the $6800 MSRP for 2009.

I would rather have a Versys, but money talks, I would settle for the 650R...
im in mass.... dealer was in arlington mass...my buddy knows the sales person he pretty much shows us what they own them for....i did not ask if it was out the door ...my guess would be.. tax, setup would be added...6000 out the door on the r is big savings over a 1000 i would say probably more.......how many do they have on the floor
post #10 of 43 (permalink) Old 01-25-2009, 07:57 AM

maybeversys,

I have a 03 silver sv1000 naked that I suppose is not old school naked but naked enough. The sv is more streetfighter while the V is more adv touring . So it's nice to have both and paid for.
post #11 of 43 (permalink) Old 01-25-2009, 08:53 AM Thread Starter

man that sv1000 is something i like great looking ride..there only making the 650 now ?

Last edited by maybeversys; 01-25-2009 at 08:55 AM.
post #12 of 43 (permalink) Old 01-25-2009, 09:02 AM

Well they are actual changing the sv to the Gladius (Duc want a be). The simple/angular lines of the bike and the engine is what does it for me. If the V had the sv1000 engine character, all I can say is .......Game On ! Enjoy your new ride.
post #13 of 43 (permalink) Old 01-25-2009, 12:13 PM

I'm not liking the Gladius. Granted, I've yet to see one in person, but the pictures and the way they are marketing it make it completely unappealing to me. They took a great bike, the SV650, and dumbed it down and made it look cheap and silly.
post #14 of 43 (permalink) Old 01-25-2009, 01:28 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpenney View Post
I'm not liking the Gladius. Granted, I've yet to see one in person, but the pictures and the way they are marketing it make it completely unappealing to me. They took a great bike, the SV650, and dumbed it down and made it look cheap and silly.
I agree 100%!!

post #15 of 43 (permalink) Old 01-25-2009, 01:41 PM Thread Starter

gladius looks dam good in black..but then again its a naked and i like naked..are the only 6oo 650 bikes to crack 100 hp inlines
post #16 of 43 (permalink) Old 01-25-2009, 02:19 PM

The sv from 1st to 2nd generation was arguably a huge leap in a bike people simply loved. There was no follow the leader or design copy from other brands. This time around they clearly took design cues from Ducati. They could have, for example, pushed the sv650 in a more streetfighter direction with some upgrades and sell a ton of them. Look at some of the svs out there. Some of the coolest variations on the same bike can be found in sv rider forums. Some are unbelievable. IMHO. What is interesting about the V. They stuck their neck out made the commitment in design and performance and judging from this forum were very successful in the 1st generation of bike. I'm certain every other brand will be gunning for this growing segment of the market...Light weight supermoto/adventure touring.
post #17 of 43 (permalink) Old 01-25-2009, 03:34 PM Thread Starter

think the big cc bikes are going to hurting for a while remember buying a suzuki 1150 e in 85 for $3200 vmax was 4200 vmax was unchanged for 23 years the price in my 06 was 10.800 11.200..showrooms are full with big ci bikes...theres to much of a gap between 600 and 1000 ci and over
post #18 of 43 (permalink) Old 01-25-2009, 03:37 PM

Gladious...

[QUOTE=josh;23579]The sv from 1st to 2nd generation was arguably a huge leap in a bike people simply loved. There was no follow the leader or design copy from other brands. This time around they clearly took design cues from Ducati. They could have, for example, pushed the sv650 in a more streetfighter direction with some upgrades and sell a ton of them. Look at some of the svs out there. Some of the coolest variations on the same bike can be found in sv rider forums. Some are unbelievable. IMHO. What is interesting about the V. They stuck their neck out made the commitment in design and performance and judging from this forum were very successful in the 1st generation of bike. I'm certain every other brand will be gunning for this growing segment of the market...Light weight supermoto/adventure touring.[/QUOTE

I think most people have it wrong with regard the SV650 in my opinion...

The SV has always been targeted at the Ducati Monster from Day 1.

The first generation SV was actually heavily based on Ducati tubular frame.
The first generation fared version is also based on an old ducati faring.
The second generation G2, Suzuki ease it off on Ducati with more Japan elements.
Now with the Gladius Suzuki is back to copying Ducati heavily as with G1.

The Gladius actually was designed to answer some of the mayor complains of the SV, Comfort and friendlyness. Gladius also reinforce more of what an SV is really meant to be, weather SVRider crowd likes it or not.

1. The number 1 complaint about the SV is its comfort. The new Gladius has been designed to fix that problem. The bike goes back to its roots, it is an inexpensive and comfortable commuter scooter, not a Track Racing Machine. And this time Suzuki did not left any gray area doubt about that.

The SVRider crowd have been getting away with murder for some time now, people who can not afford $10K to own GSX-R, they actually did not have the need to get a GSX-R, a slightly moded SV could do just as good on the track, so if you go to a track, it is always full of SV.

But the SVRider is a very targeted crowd, one that loves to modify inexpensive used bikes for track days, but it is not a crowd that buys new bikes every year. So, the SV is actually loosing ground on its own market to the 650R due to comfort issues. The market for the SV650 is an entry market, people who are looking for comfort and reliability not a racing bulled.

The 650R nailed that segment, a beautiful inexpensive bike that has enough power to keep the entry level crowd entertain, but most important it keeps its meant crowd riding in comfort. Well 650R, watch out, Suzuki is back in the form of a comfy scoot, named the Gladius.

Now the SVRider crowd should not be crying so much, Suzuki did not abandon them completely, the Fared SV650S still in production for those who value more Track days then to ride in comfort.

Suzuki is not known to make market mistakes, Suzuki is a trade mark when it comes to always have a full lined up to satisfy every inch of every market and once again, the nailed with the Gladius. If it wasn't because of the economy issues that we are having now, the Gladius will sell like a hot cookie.

Suzuki was able to camouflage the same reliable and strong SV engine behind a very friendly scooter, a bike that its design will inspire many of new bees to get into motorcycles and actually buy a motorcycle. Many of those new bees will be actually women which for a couple years straight have been the fast growing market into motorcycles. So do not fall forward when you see college campuses flooded with Gladius, because all those college kids instead of owing a Zuma scooter, they will now be owing a real motorcycle.

I love the Gladius and I am very gracius for such a great move from Suzuki!
post #19 of 43 (permalink) Old 01-25-2009, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVNET View Post
Many of those new bees will be actually women which for a couple years straight have been the fast growing market into motorcycles. So do not fall forward when you see college campuses flooded with Gladius, because all those college kids instead of owing a Zuma scooter, they will now be owing a real motorcycle.
I fully understand marketing to women, but so far it's been condescending at best. That lame Gladius Style website talks about matching boots to the motorcycle. If this were a more widely marketed item I could see Suzuki receiving some of the same backlash as Motrin did after the baby carrier commercial.

The other effect is that by pointing it at women, many men will shy away from the model. I think the marketing is going to kill the Gladius before it has much chance of being taken seriously by riders.

Scooters are easy. Motorcycles are hard. I think most scooter riders would not move to motorcycles as there are totally different parameters when looking at the two. Honestly, using the clutch and shifting is probably enough to scare away most scooter riders. The Aprilia with the CVT may be the type of design that would steal away scooter riders.

I'm interested to see if the ER-6n does as well as the SV650 did.
post #20 of 43 (permalink) Old 01-25-2009, 04:43 PM

Quote:
,,..it was scary how good the bike felt in the within 3 sec i said this is perfect.....problem for me was i always had motors over 1000 ci so it was do i stick with the devil i know or go with the devil i dont know
I've got a ZX11r parked next to my Versys....It's stayed parked since I got the V. Haven't really missed the 1100 cc's, 650 is way more usable.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode