mpg view fuel-efficient bikes - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-24-2009, 06:37 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
mpg view fuel-efficient bikes

I was on Kawasaki.com and see they have a thing at the bottom of the web page titled "mpg view fuel-efficient bikes." They list 20 different bikes by mpg. The most efficient bike gets 95 mpg and is only 125 cc. The Versys is ranked sixth on the list with 53 mpg.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-24-2009, 08:54 AM

yep and those numbers that they give are realistic as well.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-24-2009, 11:23 AM

It's a nice start to show people the advantages, but I don't thik that's enough. Most people in the US view bikes as toys for weekend use only.

<rant>

The motorcycle manufacturers/distributors need to lobby hard for motorcycle friendly cities. Despite what they say on their site, in many cities there is no motorcycle specific parking. I've tried to park in lots of parking garages where I was told motorcycles are not allowed due to liability concerns. The city of Portland charges bikes the same as it does cars to park curbside (in the few locations where motorcycle parking exists). If you park more than one bike in a car spot, each and every one of those bikes has to pay for it's own parking spot ("smart meters"), etc. etc. Also, there is no advantage in traffic.

The biggest appeal of commuting on a bike in the rest of the world is that bikes are allowed to filter through traffic (aka lane-splitting) cutting your drive in congested traffic significantly. But outside California, it's illegal in the US. So other than being able to use an HOV lane while on your own (assuming your commute includes highway sections that have HOV lanes), there is little advantage other than those MPG figures.

</rant>

Now that I got that off my chest, we can go back to talking MPG...

Gustavo

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-24-2009, 11:39 AM

Garage
Send a message via MSN to ZaethDekar
I agree with you Gustavo. I live across the river from you and the only spot I know of an HOV lane is... I5 and even then its maybe a 5 mile stretch of road.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-24-2009, 01:04 PM
Super Moderator

Well that, & there's the fun of riding a bike. I didn't buy my bike for the gas mileage or the use of the HOV lane (which I think should be done away with). I bought it because its fun.

As far as multiple bikes parked at one meter having to pay for each bike separately, how do they know which bike paid & which didn't? Besides, the advantage is you can get more bikes in a given area. I believe each bike SHOULD have to pay for his own parking.

Why should bikes get "special" treatment?

post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-24-2009, 03:45 PM

In the city, I like to just park on the sidewalk for free.

I rode like a granny and got 53 mpg on one tank. If I ride maximizing my fun-factor, I get 48 mpg. For me, that's a no-brainer.

Don
"ride more, worry less"
2005 Suzuki GSXR1000 (slightly bent) - Track
2000 Honda VFR800 - Street
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-25-2009, 10:23 AM

The cost of tires offsets any fuel savings the bike has over my truck. That said I still put 15x the miles on my bikes.

Dan

$100 an hour for therapy or...
$100 for gas...
I'm going riding!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-25-2009, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bear on a bicycle View Post

As far as multiple bikes parked at one meter having to pay for each bike separately, how do they know which bike paid & which didn't? Besides, the advantage is you can get more bikes in a given area. I believe each bike SHOULD have to pay for his own parking.

Why should bikes get "special" treatment?
JMO, but the issue isn't really about special treatment. It's about different treatment commensurate with different impacts. MC's take up less space in traffic and parking, reduce fuel consumption, etc. If they use one parking space instead of three, then as long as the space is paid for, that seems a minimal and reasonable "accomodation."

How many fewer parking garages and street parking spaces would be required if riders were legally allowed to use all of the benefits of smaller size, ie parking, traffic, filtering, etc.?
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-25-2009, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddouble View Post
The cost of tires offsets any fuel savings the bike has over my truck. That said I still put 15x the miles on my bikes.

Dan
I've run these costs before. At current fuel prices, higher costs of tires, chains, and sprockets probably make the costs savings minimal. However, when gas prices go way up again, the gap in costs will widen dramatically and riding will become once again a "no brainer" from a cost perspective.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-25-2009, 11:38 AM

I don't spend a lot of time in Seattle where parking is expensive. But the time that I do, I stick on the sidewalk, or between cars parked at meters-never had a ticket or an issue.

I know PDX has a place for bikes undercover near the arrivals entrance. SEA has a similar place, think its on the 5th floor.

Machog
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode