Engine made in Thailand question - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 37 (permalink) Old 03-24-2013, 07:00 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Engine made in Thailand question

Guys, this seems like the best place to get the answer to my question. Tried a search for Thailand and couldn't find this info.

Has the engine always been made in Thailand? If not, when was the switch and is one country of origin showing better long term durability results?

What I'm driving at is other than the ergo / vibration changes of the one redisign, any durability differences?

Concours C14
PGR #192992

Ride Reports Blog:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

on two wheels:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 37 (permalink) Old 03-24-2013, 08:02 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Was the Versys engine (ER650AE) ever made in Thailand? What makes you think it is?

Last edited by invader; 03-24-2013 at 08:24 PM.
post #3 of 37 (permalink) Old 03-24-2013, 08:24 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by invader View Post
Was the Versys engine ever made in Thailand? What makes you think it is?
Pretty sure I read about kaw doing this for more budget oriented bikes. Honda too. I am not sure if the engine is manufactured there or bike simply assembled.

Not saying good or bad, just wondering if there was a factory change and if one seems to be more durable than the other. Looking used - examples out there from all years.

Concours C14
PGR #192992

Ride Reports Blog:

on two wheels:

post #4 of 37 (permalink) Old 03-24-2013, 08:27 PM

My 2007 Versys was made in Japan in September 2006.

http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...ead.php?t=3851

Kawasaki Japan Tour- (Oct 2008)

"There are eight assembly lines for motorcycles on which Kawi builds 50 models of bikes. There is a special area for small-production motorcycles like the Vulcan 2000. At full speed, the factory can crank out 30,000 bikes in a month, 1,000 a day. It operates on the efficient, just-in-time setup in which it is supplied with only one day’s worth of parts stock.

Along the production lines, we saw several bikes being built, including the Z750, Concours-14, Z1000, Versys, Vulcans and KX dirt bikes. We also saw robotic welding of frames and raw ZX-14 and ZX-6R frames prior to the powder-coating process. It takes about 1.5 hours to complete a bike once its engine has been built. A rolling road dyno at the end of the assembly line (including a front-wheel roller so brakes can be checked) makes sure the bikes are ready for public consumption.

Akashi Works also has a separate area for building engines that range from 65cc to 2000cc...

http://www.motorcycle.com/events/kaw...our-87487.html

Last edited by invader; 03-24-2013 at 08:41 PM.
post #5 of 37 (permalink) Old 03-24-2013, 08:48 PM Thread Starter

Yes. When they made the "twist the throttle" episode that was the case too. Not no more.

Concours C14
PGR #192992

Ride Reports Blog:

on two wheels:
post #6 of 37 (permalink) Old 03-25-2013, 01:52 AM

Garage
I do not think your engines came from Thailand since the factory in Thailand is mainy for the Asia region.

I am quite sure Kawasaki will have another factory to make the engines for your market, maybe from Europe or from Japan itself.
post #7 of 37 (permalink) Old 03-25-2013, 05:50 AM
MTS

Maybe the question should be. . . . Has anyone had bad luck with any of the V's (engine, motor) and if so what year is it?

None that I know of!

For the money a very good bike! MO

( RIDE FREE BE SAFE )
post #8 of 37 (permalink) Old 03-25-2013, 06:45 AM

Yeah, as long as it's not a CF Moto engine copied by the crafty Chinese, and equipped with state-of-the-art Ducati ECU, Magneti Marelli injectors, and TO Goetze racing piston rings, no worries are warranted.

http://www.cfmoto-us.com/onroad/deta...x?productId=31

Last edited by invader; 03-25-2013 at 06:52 AM.
post #9 of 37 (permalink) Old 03-25-2013, 07:34 AM

Quote:
Yeah, as long as it's not a CF Moto engine copied by the crafty Chinese, and equipped with state-of-the-art Ducati ECU, Magneti Marelli injectors, and TO Goetze racing piston rings, no worries are warranted.

One of the MC magazines had a blurb about CF Moto titled "Game Changer". I thought hardly, the Chinese are only doing the same thing to motorcycling as they've with everything else. They closely copy an existing product with a cut throat price. At that point the originator either joins them, and has their product made in China, or they go out of business. Either way, the result is an inferior product. I just hope CF Moto doesn't make it. If they do, it will be a "Games Changer" and not in a good way.

I do like their explanation of what a rear shock absorber does, "These absorbers efficiently ease the shocks from the road and allow the driver sit and ride comfortably and stable." WOW!, That's what a shock does. Haha.

Last edited by cyclesarge; 03-25-2013 at 07:36 AM.
post #10 of 37 (permalink) Old 03-25-2013, 09:56 AM

Quote:

Scary, just don't encourage them by buying one. New or used. I think people new to cycling are the ones that buy them.
post #11 of 37 (permalink) Old 03-25-2013, 12:22 PM

Funny...I just bought an accessory made in Thailand the other day and one of their selling points was, "this is a high quality part made in Thailand, not a cheap, inferior Chinese version."

Ride to live, live to ride.
2009 Kawasaki Versys
2010 Yamaha YZ 250F
2008 Honda CRF 450
2006 Honda CR 250R
I've owned a Maico.
post #12 of 37 (permalink) Old 03-25-2013, 12:35 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Garage
I dated a couple of Thai women and they were a great bang for the buck...

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #13 of 37 (permalink) Old 03-25-2013, 12:45 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by weljo2001 View Post
-

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #14 of 37 (permalink) Old 03-25-2013, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weljo2001 View Post
My buddy was working overseas and while vacationing in Thailand just knocked one up. Coming home with wife and new baby. LOL
post #15 of 37 (permalink) Old 03-25-2013, 07:19 PM

I know the KLR is made in Thailand but did know the Versys was. BUT it's a global game now and just because something's made some where different doesn't mean it is better or worse. My KLR has let me down once in 25,000 miles, a shorted wiring harness. It took all of 10 mins to fix.

The Honda Goldwings were for years made in the USA, Marysville Ohio, about 25 mile from me, until the The BIG Crash in 2009. Then Honda move production to a place they had NEVER been built before...Japan! But I bet they run just as well as before.

Or was that look THEN leap?

2012 650 Versys
post #16 of 37 (permalink) Old 03-25-2013, 09:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hades View Post
I do not think your engines came from Thailand since the factory in Thailand is mainy for the Asia region.

I am quite sure Kawasaki will have another factory to make the engines for your market, maybe from Europe or from Japan itself.
Nope, all versyses and er6/ninja650r are made in Thailand for the whole world.

Current : Maroon 2011.
- Fender Extender - Radiator Guard - 19mm Nissin radial master - Nissin 4-pot caliper - SS brake lines - Osram Hyper 65W both low/high beam - LED 30w aux floodlights & 3w DRLs - Rear Hugger - Givi crash guards - Yoshimura TRC Carbon - Dynojet PC5 - Scottoiler - R1 shock with Ohlins 14.2 kg/mm spring - Imitation Givi Windshield - Rear Givi rack with 24ltr Givi top box - Bosch dual tones - Z800 stock mirrors.

Up next :
- Protaper SE ATV Low - PIAA Platinum low
post #17 of 37 (permalink) Old 03-25-2013, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewhtf View Post
Nope, all versyses and er6/ninja650r are made in Thailand for the whole world.
North American Versys from 2007 to at least 2009 are Made in Japan.

VIN's 1st character denotes where the manufacturer is based (J=Japan)

Character 11 indicates the vehicle’s assembly plant:

A = Kawasaki Heavy Industries, Akashi, Japan

B = Kawasaki Motors Manufacturing Corp., Lincoln, Nebraska / Kymco for Kawasaki, Taiwan

C = Kawasaki Motors Corp., Philippines

D = Kawasaki Motors Enterprise Co. Ltd., Thailand

G = MODENAS, Malaysia

K = P.T. Kawasaki Motor Indonesia, Jakarta

9 = Kawasaki Motors of Brazil Ltd. (KMB) Manaus, Amazonas

Mine is in fact an A, assembled by Kawasaki Heavy Industries in Akashi, Japan.

Last edited by invader; 03-25-2013 at 10:30 PM.
post #18 of 37 (permalink) Old 03-25-2013, 10:48 PM

Quote:
North American Versys from 2007 to at least 2009 are Made in Japan.

VIN's 1st character denotes where the manufacturer is based (J=Japan)

Character 11 indicates the vehicle’s assembly plant:

A = Kawasaki Heavy Industries, Akashi, Japan

B = Kawasaki Motors Manufacturing Corp., Lincoln, Nebraska / Kymco for Kawasaki, Taiwan

C = Kawasaki Motors Corp., Philippines

D = Kawasaki Motors Enterprise Co. Ltd., Thailand

G = MODENAS, Malaysia

K = P.T. Kawasaki Motor Indonesia, Jakarta

9 = Kawasaki Motors of Brazil Ltd. (KMB) Manaus, Amazonas

Mine is in fact an A, assembled by Kawasaki Heavy Industries in Akashi, Japan.

Mine: 2009 model, purchased 7/10 in California
Vin # JKALEEA179AXXXXXX

Ride to live, live to ride.
2009 Kawasaki Versys
2010 Yamaha YZ 250F
2008 Honda CRF 450
2006 Honda CR 250R
I've owned a Maico.
post #19 of 37 (permalink) Old 03-26-2013, 02:51 AM

They are made here and all the bikes locally are made in Thailand
Check the VIN to see where yours was made. I would not be surprised that the newer ones in the USA are Thai

BTW it is the most popular "big bike" here due to its Made in Thailand 10,000 USD price tag - comparable bikes are 2-3 times the price with the exception of the "Asian model" 795 Monster at 14,850 USD with ABS

Price is the reason I bought one, but having had it now for 3 years, I like it and would buy another
post #20 of 37 (permalink) Old 03-26-2013, 05:08 PM
ABR

I think the original question of this thread still remains. If the VIN indicates the bike was assembled in Thailand (as, for example, the case with my 2011 US model), does that mean the ENGINE was assembled there as well, or are the engines always assembled in Japan and sent out to the various worldwide factories?

(2011 Versys)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in