Went for a long ride yesterday
, so for those who want to know the 'error' in the Versys' speedo (and don't have a GPS), here it is (my "V" has stock gearing and tires):
- the speedo reads 7% HIGH ( ie - at 60 mph your actual is 55.8 mph).
In 6th gear the INDICATED speed per 1,000 RPM is 14 MPH, while the ACTUAL speed per 1,000 RPM is 13 MPH. So, a little math -
- 5,000 RPM INDICATES 70 MPH, but is ACTUALLY 65;
- 6,000 RPM INDICATES 84 MPH, but is ACTUALLY 78; or conversely
- 65 MPH INDICATED is ACTUALLY 60.35;
- 75 MPH INDICATED is ACTUALLY 69.64; and
- 80 MPH INDICATED is ACTUALLY 74.28.
Hope this helps those who hunger to know what their REAL speed is
. For the rest of us - you're SAFE riding at the INDICATED speed limit