Boy I feel like a dumb ass. - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-20-2013, 09:43 PM Thread Starter
FSM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Boy I feel like a dumb ass.

Just wanted to share with you guys......lmao.

Just spend the last 45 min trying to "jump start" my bike, checking fuses, etc etc. Risking damage to my electrical system while trying to jump start.

Boy do I feel dumb. After work I came out suited and ready to go, well my bike didnt start, made noise as always when turning switch, but nothing.

For whatever reason I "remembered" that headlight when on when switch was open (not side lights but main light) so I thought my battery was done. (Had it since 09 so I thought that could be it)

Well, long story short, I found a ride home, went back to my office and got my suit and gear off came out and ran into a friend that said "what happened" as soon as I started to describe the problem.....i thought to myself "what dumb ass" i jump into my bike immediately (thinking that maybe the stand sensor was stuck ) well........to my surprise i pull the stand up and what a surprise, bike starts immediately.

$hit............how could I forget to put it in neutral?!?!?!?!?! how could I forget that! (and i've been riding for many years friends and this is the first time this has happened to me, to jump start a bike for the wrong reasons, ****.....)

Anyways, wanted to share.

F.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-20-2013, 10:07 PM

Heh, I think we've ALL had this type of moment... I panicked when my 2010 wouldn't start.... took me a good 15 minutes to figure out my kill switch was on... Being i've ridden dirtbikes my whole life you'd think i'd know to check that first-nope. We all have a dummy moment at some point or another

Bikes:
65cc Benelli Dynamo
Yamaha ttr-125
Kawasaki KX-125
Yamaha Yz426-f (current)
2010 Kawasaki Versys! (very current and loving it!)
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-20-2013, 10:29 PM

I did the same thing, though it wasn't 100% my fault (That's my story!). I shipped my bike once and when I went to pick it up it was sitting in the parking lot, waiting to go. Tried starting it over and over until the battery died. The shipper was used to battery issues and brought out a portable jump starting unit. Fortunately I didn't burn up the starter before I noticed that the neutral light wasn't on and so I was trying to start it in gear with the stand down. I always put it in neutral, so I assumed someone else had, too.

Fired right up once I raised the side stand. I felt just as stupid as you did.

Whitehorse Press is going out of business so it's time for a final sale. Signed copies of my book are now $10 with free shipping in the U.S. while they last.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-20-2013, 11:13 PM Thread Starter
FSM

I definitely agree, we've all from time to time mess up a little bit, but man, I tried to jump start that sucker for more than a while and was about to leave it at work.......

Man o man lol, imagine if I would have gone home order the new battery (or probably buy it from the stealer at incredible high price ) and just put it in neutral....

wow....

F.
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-21-2013, 12:17 AM

Or you could accidentally hit the kill switch while doing 120kmh like me... That is a life endangering "blonde" moment... Made it through no problems though, just an arrow straight rear lock up!

[email protected]
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-21-2013, 02:15 AM
MTS

Nice story and thanks for sharing!

And I did that once too. After a couple of minutes the light came on! LOL

I just said oh [email protected]#! Ha! Ha! How dumb!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
( RIDE FREE BE SAFE )
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-21-2013, 05:15 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
You are not the first and wont be the last, so dont feel bad.

sometime work/life pressure get the better of us.
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-21-2013, 06:29 AM
rlj

I think we've all done some stuff over the years that could label us as dumb asses. Some will even go to the grave with me.........

13 Yamaha FJR 1300
09 Kawasaki KLX 250S
05 HD Sportster Roadster 1200
02 Malaguti F12 Phantom 49cc Italian Scooter
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-21-2013, 09:34 AM

I once realized the kill switch on an outboard motor was off by the time I had paddled over a mile back home.
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-21-2013, 09:50 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlj View Post
I think we've all done some stuff over the years that could label us as dumb asses. Some will even go to the grave with me.........
The important thing about being a dumb ass is knowing that you are & learning from it. Stupid is forever (and SHOULD be painfull), ignorance can be fixed
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-21-2013, 11:06 AM

Homer has a word for such occasions, DOH!
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-21-2013, 11:09 AM

Garage
I would laugh at you, but I'm scared it will happen to me soon enough ...

LOP
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-21-2013, 12:19 PM Thread Starter
FSM

LMAO, love this forum, and love the support lol.....

Doh!

F.
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-21-2013, 12:30 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lours_Polaire View Post
I would laugh at you, but I'm scared it will happen to me soon enough ...

LOP
the sooner you accept that you are an idiot the shorter the pain will be
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-21-2013, 12:34 PM

Battery goes dead. Buy new battery. That one goes dead. Gee. do you think you might have a stator problem?
post #16 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-21-2013, 01:10 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
I was way back in the woods, hunting, on my ATV. When I got off it I thought I heard a 'click', but thought nothing of it (...as will SOON become obvious...!).

Came back to it some time later, put the key in and turned it, hit the starter - it turned over but NO start, so I walked back several miles to get my pick-up, and was able to "low-range, 4-wheel drive" to the ATV, then towed it back to camp where I winched it onto its trailer. Next I "low-ranged" out of the woods, then another 150 miles to the dealer with it in-tow.

Went in to get a coffee while the mechanic looked at it, then back out to my truck to go back hunting, but he came out and stopped me from leaving. Told me "It's fixed!" I asked what was wrong, and he pointed to the "kill-switch" which had 'clicked' when I accidentally caught it with my glove turning it OFF....

I had a Suzuki Bandit at that time, and it would NOT turn over if the 'kill-switch' was ON, and I ASSUMED my Can-Am quad was the same....

(What did Forest Gump say? Stupid is as stupid does!)

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #17 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-21-2013, 03:24 PM

I have always wished that there was a simple LED in the instrument cluster that would flash red when the key was turned in the ignition and the bike was either in gear or the kill switch was off. Such an extremely simple thing would take care of these little eye-rolling moments. This should be as standard as......I dunno......an instrument cluster!!

"Nothing bugs a handyman more than a stripper that works too slow" ~ Red Green

post #18 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-21-2013, 04:14 PM

I gotcha beat....I was having battery issues last week and posted a thread on here after taking all my parts off to be painted. Had a battery that read full, and after about 20 minutes someone posted "uuhh... dude, your gas tank isn't on!". Talk about feeling like a dumb ass!
post #19 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-22-2013, 01:39 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Love you guys.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode