Changing head lamp Bulbs !!! - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 96 (permalink) Old 01-20-2009, 06:15 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Changing head lamp Bulbs !!!

Hi All Newbie Here
1st off loving this site its brill.

I have Just bought a new Versys in Blue 2008 model and I love it, but whilst driving to work in the dark the other day i was not that impressed with the headlights so I have ordered a pair of H7 Philips X-treme Power +80% Xenon Bulbs.

Im new to bikes and have checked the handbook but it doesnt say how to change these bulbs,

is it easy??????, Can some give me a quick quick tutorial

Cheers All
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 96 (permalink) Old 01-20-2009, 06:26 PM

Have you adjusted the light? My V's headlight was pointing at the ground when I bought it and it didn't shine more than 20ft ahead. The adjustments are done with a philips screwdriver up behind the headlight. I think the left side is for side to side and the right is up & down. Not that brighter bulbs are not a good thing but this adjustment might help you out until you install the new bulbs.

pmac
post #3 of 96 (permalink) Old 01-20-2009, 06:34 PM Thread Starter

Ah Cheers I didnt think of that, I will check them tomorrow, so see how they shine.

new Philips H7's should be here in the morning so I will go ahead and fit them,,,,

When I find out how

post #4 of 96 (permalink) Old 01-20-2009, 06:53 PM

Beam Adjstment

Kind of hard to explain, but I'll try. Up behind/on the back of the headlight you will see a round dial type of chingadero about 2" in diameter, with "teeth" cut into the sides of it. From the bottom there is a couple of guides or funnel type of plastiic rails that you insert the screwdriver into to fit it into the teeth in the dial, then turn the screwdriver for adjusment. Really easy, takes 5 minutes. Made the difference for me.

Good Luck
post #5 of 96 (permalink) Old 01-20-2009, 07:04 PM Thread Starter

Thank you very much for that, im sure I can figure it out from your description.

Do you know how to change the lamps?????
Any advice would be great

Regards
post #6 of 96 (permalink) Old 01-20-2009, 07:11 PM

I've changed bulbs, and it's really simple.
Behind the head light find where the wire is going into the light, that's the socket.
Basicallt the socket rubber/plastic and twists out (I don't remember which direction though...), once twisted it pulls right out, you swap the bulb out of the socket, stick the socket back into the headlight, and twsit it back into place. Fairly easy. Took about 10 minutes in the dark to do so my first time.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 96 (permalink) Old 01-20-2009, 07:11 PM

As far as headlight adjustament goes... how far out should the low beam be? 20 ft? 30 ft?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 96 (permalink) Old 01-20-2009, 07:24 PM

I adjusted mine to just below level out front, to keep the low beam just below the side rearview mirrors of cars 3 to 4 car lenghts in front of me. Then your highbeam really reaches out there. It takes a little playing with. If people traveling the opposite direction start flashing their lights at you with only your low beams on, you may want to adjust it down a bit.

Place your bike facing a wall about 10ft in of you with your bike running and while sitting on the bike adjust the beam (actually adjust the beam and then get on the bike) to just under level in front of you. You can use a piece of tape on the wall to track your adjustments if needed.

I do plan on replacing my bulbs with Silver Stars which I gather from posts here are some good replacments.

pmac
post #9 of 96 (permalink) Old 01-20-2009, 11:17 PM

+1

Quote:
Originally Posted by amir_zwara View Post
I've changed bulbs, and it's really simple.
Behind the head light find where the wire is going into the light, that's the socket.
Basicallt the socket rubber/plastic and twists out (I don't remember which direction though...), once twisted it pulls right out, you swap the bulb out of the socket, stick the socket back into the headlight, and twsit it back into place. Fairly easy. Took about 10 minutes in the dark to do so my first time.
As an added note GET THE OSRAM SYLAVANIA HYPER 65 W BULBS!!! No other considerations necesary. They are so much brighter than stock its unreal!! I got mine from suvlights.com (ithink). Direct plug n play-no additional wiring required!!

2008 Versys
Muzzy Exhaust-race core!!

Upgraded Kawi Windshield
Madstadd Bracket
Fiamm 132 db low note horn

Osram Hyper 65 h7 lights

Kawi/Givi V35 Bags
Shad SH-29 Top Case
SW-Motech Quick release Brackets
Sw-Motech Alu-Rack
Garmin GPSMap 60csx

Joe Rocket Manta Tankbag-Red
Kawi Tank Protector
post #10 of 96 (permalink) Old 01-21-2009, 12:23 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Osram's Hyper H7 clear 65 watt bulb (bigger H9 burner on H7 base) from their high-wattage rally and professional offroad bulb line offers 2100 lumens (brightness) and a 500 hour life, compared to:
1780 lumens, 340 hours for the Osram Night Breaker with slight blue tint.
1750 lumens, 350 hours for the Osram Silverstar (not Sylvania) also with slight blue tint.
1620 lumens, 200 hours for Philips X-treme Power H7... = [
(Standard H7: 55w, 1500 lumens, 500 hours)

I got a pair of the awesome Osram Hyper H7 for $21 each plus $8 shipping to Canada from http://www.suvlights.com/advanced_se...7b8cf5eb003ebc and they're great!

Last edited by invader; 01-21-2009 at 07:05 PM.
post #11 of 96 (permalink) Old 01-21-2009, 05:21 PM

On the H7's, was it two of the same bulbs for high and low beams?

Thanks, pmac
post #12 of 96 (permalink) Old 01-21-2009, 06:33 PM

You got it

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmac View Post
On the H7's, was it two of the same bulbs for high and low beams?

Thanks, pmac

Yep same bulb.

2008 Versys

Upgraded Kawi Windshield
Madstadd Bracket

Osram Hyper 65 h7 lights

Kawi/Givi V35 Bags
Shad SH-29 Top Case
Sw-Motech Alu-Rack
Garmin GPSMap 60csx

Kawi Tank Protector
post #13 of 96 (permalink) Old 01-22-2009, 09:04 AM

Are there any problems with heat from the extra bright bulbs? I'm probably overthinking it, but I wouldn't want to melt the headlight enclosure or socket.

-Alan
post #14 of 96 (permalink) Old 01-22-2009, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wordguy View Post
Are there any problems with heat from the extra bright bulbs? I'm probably overthinking it, but I wouldn't want to melt the headlight enclosure or socket.

-Alan
No problems with mine whatsoever. There probably is more heat-but not enought to cause a problem

2008 Versys

Upgraded Kawi Windshield
Madstadd Bracket

Osram Hyper 65 h7 lights

Kawi/Givi V35 Bags
Shad SH-29 Top Case
Sw-Motech Alu-Rack
Garmin GPSMap 60csx

Kawi Tank Protector
post #15 of 96 (permalink) Old 01-24-2009, 02:55 PM Thread Starter

Im confussed I orederd a set of

PHILIPS X-TREME POWER H7 XENON BULBS for my kawasaki Versys 2008------ Philips type number 12972

as this link told me 12972 were the ones i needed

http://www.lighting.philips.com/in_e...ghting&lang=en

I went to fit them yesterday and they dont fit

The original H7 have wider pins than these philips H7 so the plug wont fit

Anyone know why?????????
post #16 of 96 (permalink) Old 01-24-2009, 04:31 PM

Well,
nything has to be better than the crappy Sylvania Silverstar Ultras I bought recently. $45+ for a pair and the first one blew after a month and a half of buying. The second blew in the high beam about 2 months later. I ride 5 days a week to work 45 minutes each way. That's poor quality! So, e-mailed their customer service and they said to send them both bulbs. So, I did and they sent me a brand new 2 pack......Great customer service, but let's see how long they last! They've made it through the week, so far.....

My Titan & Versys Website:

My Rubicon Website:

My Super Duty Website:

20,000+ Versys miles and loving every one!

post #17 of 96 (permalink) Old 01-25-2009, 10:38 AM

I've been running the Silver Star Ultras for two months with no issues. Our roads are in pretty good shape, wonder if that could be part of the issue with yours?

Four bikes bought in four years needed the headlight adjusted. Dealer prep is apparently just a fee. The owners manual usually has a diagram of the setting.

Dan

$100 an hour for therapy or...
$100 for gas...
I'm going riding!

post #18 of 96 (permalink) Old 01-25-2009, 11:52 AM

One thing not mentioned in the thread so far-probably because you all know it-but never touch the bulb with your hands, use a cloth or soft gloves.

Any grease from your fingers will shorten the life of your bulb dramatically and can even blow it first time you fire it up.

Machog
post #19 of 96 (permalink) Old 01-25-2009, 05:10 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by pantsdavies View Post
Im confussed I orederd a set of

PHILIPS X-TREME POWER H7 XENON BULBS for my kawasaki Versys 2008------ Philips type number 12972

as this link told me 12972 were the ones i needed

http://www.lighting.philips.com/in_e...ghting&lang=en

I went to fit them yesterday and they dont fit

The original H7 have wider pins than these philips H7 so the plug wont fit

Anyone know why?????????
You got the right bulbs (H7). You just have to remove the connector base from your original bulbs, and put them on your new bulbs...
post #20 of 96 (permalink) Old 01-25-2009, 05:17 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by invader View Post
You got the right bulbs (H7). You just have to remove the connector base from your original bulbs, and put them on your new bulbs...
I am so stupid , I hope nobody gets as stupid as me, Cheers for that

There is indeed a big plastic reducer block which you have to swap over onto
the new Lamps

Stupid stupid stupid i am :0

i should be banned for my stupid question
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode