Putting into Gear - Kawasaki Versys Forum
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-20-2009, 06:49 AM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 2
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Red face Putting into Gear

I had got myself a V 2008 (blue) from another hand and enjoying it very much. But I have this problem putting into low gear when slowing down in busy traffic. Have to rev the throttle to put into gear. Got the oil changed to semi-synthetic, was ok for a while, but the problem came back. Even checked with a friend & he does not have that problem. Anyone with a V having that problem & got it rectified? The bike has only gone about 8000km.
kusumux is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-20-2009, 07:37 AM
Member
 
dallasdon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Dallas, TX
Posts: 1,253
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
You might need to adjust your clutch cable to make the clutch release sooner. Also, going into 1st gear needs to be done when you are at a very low speed or almost stopped.

'09 Versys -Green

TET'68 Survivor
dallasdon is offline  
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-20-2009, 08:08 AM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 2
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Thanks dallasdon, will try working on it.
Just a thought, did you have this problem?
kusumux is offline  
 
post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-20-2009, 08:23 AM
Member
 
dallasdon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Dallas, TX
Posts: 1,253
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kusumux View Post
Thanks dallasdon, will try working on it.
Just a thought, did you have this problem?
Yes, to an extent. It seems that the thumb wheel on the clutch adjustment part of the cable works loose somehow and I am always adjusting and retiting it.

'09 Versys -Green

TET'68 Survivor
dallasdon is offline  
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-20-2009, 10:00 AM
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 9
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Clutch Adjustment

Remember guys, your clutch lever should have 10-15mm of free play when properly adjusted. I can't tell you how many worn clutches we see because everyone seems to think that the clutch lever should be tight against the handle bar housing. If your slow speed downshifting continues to be a problem after you have adjusted your clutch cable, you may have a gear spur. It is not very common, but it does happen. Kawasaki warranty is transferable, so make sure you transfer the warranty. Go to your local Kawasaki shop and ask them to look at it. Clutches are never covered under any factory warranty, and neither are transmission failures due to improper clutch adjustment.
The Cajun is offline  
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-20-2009, 10:11 AM
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 9
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Another Thought

Kuz, I was thinking. Does your bike have a problem going into 1st from stopped, or is it just downshifting? Because you could have a slightly bent shift shaft. Again, not too common, but it does happen.
The Cajun is offline  
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-20-2009, 10:39 AM
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 81
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Take it easy...

Just treat the bike with love...

I never put it into first while rolling...

If I am rolling, 99.9% of the time the bike can pick up from Neutral just fine.

But if you try to put into 1st, it will protest one way or another.

Some bikes will protest more then other which allows for some people to get away with murder.

If you like is picky and it doesn't like 1st while rolling, then just always use second gear unless you are at a complete stop.

If you are at a complete stop and your bike doesn't like first, then it does have an issue...
SVNET is offline  
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-20-2009, 11:12 AM
Member
 
redline's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Brimfield, Ma.
Posts: 349
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVNET View Post
Just treat the bike with love...

I never put it into first while rolling...

If I am rolling, 99.9% of the time the bike can pick up from Neutral just fine.

But if you try to put into 1st, it will protest one way or another.

Some bikes will protest more then other which allows for some people to get away with murder.

If you like is picky and it doesn't like 1st while rolling, then just always use second gear unless you are at a complete stop.

If you are at a complete stop and your bike doesn't like first, then it does have an issue...
That could be why you are having some issues. There is no harm to downshift while rolling, {into first at about 5mph..} and will help the "process". Make sure your idle speed is correct, and as everyone has stated earlier, make sure your clutch free-play is within spec. I have found that my bike likes the engagement "tighter" rather than loose.
redline is offline  
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-20-2009, 04:44 PM
Member
 
Friendlyfocus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Friendswood, TX
Posts: 61
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Often if I come to a stop before shifting down into first, it won't go. There is no 'click' and it stays in neutral. I have to hold the shift lever down and rock the bike back and forth a little bit. This happens whether or not the bike is running. Not all the time, but it has happened a handful of times now. Is this a symptom of the improper cable, or something else? I thought it was normal. I have just made sure that I click all the way down before coming to a complete stop to prevent it.
Friendlyfocus is offline  
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-20-2009, 05:55 PM
Member
 
redline's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Brimfield, Ma.
Posts: 349
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Friendlyfocus View Post
Often if I come to a stop before shifting down into first, it won't go. There is no 'click' and it stays in neutral. I have to hold the shift lever down and rock the bike back and forth a little bit. This happens whether or not the bike is running. Not all the time, but it has happened a handful of times now. Is this a symptom of the improper cable, or something else? I thought it was normal. I have just made sure that I click all the way down before coming to a complete stop to prevent it.
I have had quite a few Kawasaki bikes that exhibited the same trait. Mine does the same as yours. I found that by downshifting....while rolling....eliminates the problem. It's quite possible that the "positive neutral finder" has something to do with this {I'm not sure}, but if you change your methods it isn't a problem anymore. Come to think of it, I had a few cars that if the gears weren't "synched" correctly, they wouldn't go into gear either, unless you played the clutch or managed to roll it a little. I know for a fact that Mercury outboards cannot be shifted into reverse without either the motor running or physically spinning the prop shaft. Bottom line is that I don't think we have any issue at all..........
redline is offline  
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-20-2009, 06:34 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Ottawa, Ontario
Posts: 687
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Smile

Friendlyfocus,
Try letting the clutch out with the bike in neutral at a stop. Pull the clutch back in and shift into first. It should work without the need of rocking the bike back and forth.
Mt. Versuvius is offline  
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-20-2009, 06:51 PM
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 81
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Different issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by redline View Post
I have had quite a few Kawasaki bikes that exhibited the same trait. Mine does the same as yours. I found that by downshifting....while rolling....eliminates the problem. It's quite possible that the "positive neutral finder" has something to do with this {I'm not sure}, but if you change your methods it isn't a problem anymore. Come to think of it, I had a few cars that if the gears weren't "synched" correctly, they wouldn't go into gear either, unless you played the clutch or managed to roll it a little. I know for a fact that Mercury outboards cannot be shifted into reverse without either the motor running or physically spinning the prop shaft. Bottom line is that I don't think we have any issue at all..........
Well, what you are mentioning here is a different issue that happens to all motorcycle I have ever owned, not only Kawasaki.

If you make it to stop on a red light in 5th gear per say, you will have to do a lot of rocking back and forth to get it down to first. Further more bikes are evil... If the bike senses an increase amount of urgency due to the light turning green, the bike will automatically double the amount of rocking required to do the job. So at that point you better off just walking the bike to the side of the road and catching the next light...

I don't think that is a clutch problem, at that point it is just a transmission issue that must bikes share. But there is a lesson to learn from this particular issue...

If you operate a motorcycle, you can NOT be a lazy operator, you always have to be on top of your game, that means to always be in the correct gear by anticipating the road events. Don't wait until you rolling to at 1mph before you realize that you are still in 6th gear have to get to 1st or 2nd gear pronto....

But, what the original poster is describing is something else. It is symptom that is more common found on new bikes with virgin transmission. These bikes are rebellious and they just won't give in to any mistreatment and for you to stick first gear on a bike that is already rolling let say at 5mph, that is raping the transmission in my opinion.

Just like human beings there are some of us that can stretch more then others by nature, but at some point it will hurt and everyone will protest at some point. The are some bikes that will tolerate shifting into first gear at higher speed then others.

There are also tricks that you can use to allow your body to be more flexible like warming up before a work out. Same with bikes, owners get to know their engines and learn how to get away with murder. Some people give the bike a little burp of acceleration before the shift to try to sync the engine with the clutch and that help the process.

The poster here might just have a very rebellious transmission that will not fall for that at this point, may after some more miles things will start to get better.
SVNET is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome