About to pull the trigger - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 01-18-2009, 10:36 PM Thread Starter

About to pull the trigger

Well, I stopped by the local dealer today ... they've been dogging me for a couple weeks now, and I finally got a look at the green one they've got on the sales floor. They've also agreed to work with me on a trade for my Yamaha TDM 850. I know I won't get from them what it's worth, but if they're willing to consider what I said I wanted from them, then it will probably be worth it. They were interested enough to take the green Versys off of the sales floor and put a "sold" tag on it, without having seen the TDM or having any money from me as a down payment. Maybe they're desperate for sales at the end of the month.

Getting the TDM sold was more than half the battle to get me to buy a new Versys. Considering that I haven't even put it up for sale anywhere and already had two interested parties contact me, I think I could probably have sold it easy. But thru the dealer will be easiest of all, if not the most profitable. The next half of the battle will be getting it put back together and hopefully it runs.

So a couple of questions before I go all the way on the Versys:

First, on the model in the shop I looked at today, there was a whitish stain on the front of the radiator, running vertically from top to bottom mostly on the right side (side stand side). Could this be a coolant leak? I will definitely be sure that the dealer sorts this out before the sale, but is there anything else I should be looking for?

Secondly, for the California owners, has anyone tried to remove the EVAP canister on the Versys? How did you go about re-routing the hoses? I'm asking because I really want to get the crash bars, and the Hepco & Becker ones look like the best option, but it looks like the evap canister shroud would interfere with the mounting points. Any ideas/tips would be helpful.

Thirdly, I haven't seen anyone discuss this, but is there a Service Manual available for the bike? I don't see one offered on the Kawasaki web site.

Of course I have a long list of farkles that I'll be getting once I have this bike in my hands. Hopefully this won't send me to debtors prison. Bad enough that I have two other bikes already ... Anyway, lots of good info on this forum, thanks to all of you for sharing info and pics.

DM
2009 Kawasaki Versys, "Dr Doom"
2009 Suzuki Burgman 650, "StormTrooper"
2003 Suzuki Burgman 400, "Yoda"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by darcym; 01-19-2009 at 12:38 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 01-19-2009, 09:16 AM

Staining

Darcy, The staining you are seeing is probably a packing film. I am a Sales Manager for a Kawasaki/Suzuki dealership & we see this all the time. If you go back to the dealership, just run your finger over the stuff, it should come off as a fine powder. No it's not Anthrax If it were coolant, there would be a definite green tint & the dried material would be crystallized. I can't believe they pulled the bike with no deposit & not looking at your trade, strange indeed. Even if they did mark it sold, I would still leave it on the floor for others to see. I would restrict anyone from sitting on it though. As for the Cali emissions, I have no idea. I hope you enjoy your new bike!! Stay Safe.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 01-19-2009, 09:22 AM
Super Moderator

An answer to your EVAP question:

http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...ght=california

and the service manual:

http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...anual+download

And welcome to the mad house!!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode