A little help please. - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-18-2009, 09:47 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Talking A little help please.

Hey guys, I'm new here, & was looking for a little insight. My last bike was a 2008 Kawasaki Concours 1400 ABS. I am a sales manager for a Kawi/Suzi dealership, that's why I sold the Connie. A fellow came in & offered me a ridiculous some of money for her,,,,,& off she went. Now to the question. How is the V on the interstate? I commute about 60 miles a day all straight line interstate riding. I was thinking about the sport bike wheel base of the V, & that is may not be too comfortable. I hope that is not the case because the V may be my next bike. Thanks for any input.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-18-2009, 10:19 AM

Howdy and welcome,

I take my V on the interstates all the time. It's no Goldwing, but I find it plenty comfortable. You may want a different windscreen than stock, but the ergos and the ride are fine IMO.

-Alan
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-18-2009, 10:21 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Like they say, it has the stability of a sport tourer, with the handling of a supermoto. It does have a good solid and responsive feel, with plenty of engine grunt to haul it from legal highway speeds up to over 110 easily and without downshifting... Raising the front seat mount a bit made it very comfortable too, and I'm 6'1". A larger windshield does help.

Last edited by invader; 01-18-2009 at 10:24 AM.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-18-2009, 10:31 AM

Not much new to add beyond what invader and Wordguy have said, but I can echo their testimonials.

I specifically bought the V because of the improved comfort and power over my workhorse KLR. It is as good as any bike on the interstate. Certainly not the screaming power of a full-on sportbike, but you will never find yourself lacking power to accelerate, pass, or whatever. I've never reached the limit on her.

I took a road trip with a friend once who was driving his Connie, so I have a bit of a comparison. I would think that the Versys, with a proper windscreen and one of the many approaches to seat modification, would be much more comfortable than the Connie over the long haul. The sitting position is more upright and provides more opportunity to reposition. Many of us have fitted crash bars with highway pegs that further help out.

Chris in Oneonta, NY
08 Versys that replaced my beloved 07 KLR650

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

>>>> states on a bike <<<<
>>>> East Coast done <<<<
>>>>> Westward HO! <<<<<
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-18-2009, 11:37 AM Thread Starter

Thanks guys. I had the opportunity to ride one earlier this year, & consequently fell in love with the handling. Alas the ride was oh so short, but is stuck in my head. So when I was trying to decide which bike will be my next, I kept coming back to the V. So now I'm sure that it will be my next bike. I just can't get the handling out of my head. When I got off of it I kept telling myself, "that shouldn't have performed that way." I was expecting V-Strom. Not that there's anything wrong with that as the V-Strom is a great bike too. But it can't handle like the V.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-18-2009, 01:05 PM

You may miss the Connie's torque sometimes, but so many other positives about the Versys that you'll soon forget about it .

Montani Semper Liberi
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-19-2009, 01:18 PM

this V is plenty comfortable on a 60 mile run. I've cruised for hours at 85 GPS with no down side. You will be sitting in the wind, so if its cold, slap on a neck gator. Stock up on ear plugs, and wear a tight helmet. The good news is the air is smooth with no bobblehead. Plenty of power, and the seat can be made comfortable. If the seat bothers you, first try the peg lowering option...cheeeep from moto werks. That cured my seat. I'm very comfortable now on the OEM seat. Before I lowered the pegs I could barely do 60 miles. When it comes time to trade, you will find every other bike will give up something the V has. You might gain some power, but you'll add weight, visibility, handling. This bike will be the last to leave the garage for me.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-19-2009, 04:43 PM

I had went about 10 years from when I rode dirt bikes for a couple years as a kid to getting onto my first real road bike, a 500cc Interceptor. After only about a year of riding it, it was about 13 years before the high gas prices had me looking seriously at them again. After much internet searching (and before finding this site I might add), I stumbled upon the versys on Kawi's website and it just stuck out. So, without looking at any other motorcycles at any other dealers I asked to test ride the Versys and I was hooked.
I don't have nearly as much riding experience as others here, but for such long periods of not riding, getting on the Versys made getting back into the groove so easy. And now that my confidence is built up a little I feel very good and natural with it and really don't desire any other bike, it does what I need it to do and with a little speed and style.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode