KLX 250 SF - Loved it. - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-17-2009, 05:33 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
KLX 250 SF - Loved it.

Hello All,

I visited a dealer today where finally I got to see a Green Versys, what a bike!

I am in love with it. A little skeptical about reliability with the leaking forks, leaking water pump and funny smells, but completely in love with the style and design, most likely my next bike.

Now, while at the dealer, I found ran into this little beauty, 2009 KLX 250 SF, single cylinder. I sat on it and I loved it, the bike is gorgeous.

I don't know anything about this bike, but I sure want to find out every single detail about it.

I am afraid that it might be too under power and it is on the expensive side at $5300 MSRP.

Also it only has a 2gal gas tank, I wonder how many miles per gal it does ?

I love that it resemble the DUKE from KTM, I love the look of Dirt bikes with street tires on them.

I wonder how it would do as a commuter to go to work everyday.

If you have any input, please shine the light...

Last edited by SVNET; 01-17-2009 at 05:40 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-17-2009, 06:28 PM

i would not worry about the reliability of the V as far as i have researched the problems that have been posted appear to be isolated instances. i have read thousands of posts now and i'm pretty much concluded that the V is right for me. its just has that right balance of handling, power, and comfort. also its got one hell of a range with that 5 gallon gas tank. i'm one of those people that over researched everything that i buy pretty much. i have sat on probably 15 different bikes now and i always seem to come back to it.

also the about bike is a nice one but from what i have gathered motard bike are a blast if you are going to push them all the time but they pretty much suck else wise. i as well love the fit and feel of a motocross style bike being so narrow and light but they just aren't too pratical in the long run (would be a great second bike though). if you light the looks and feel of that above bike also look into the KLR650 (more of a long haul bike) or the suzuki DRZ650 (more of a off road bike).
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-18-2009, 12:07 AM

I agree with sir crackien.

I owned a 2006 KLX250S which is the dualsport version of this bike. It was a great bike for what it was, but it lacked range (even after I swapped in a larger tank from a KLX300R). It is a bit anemic from the factory, but there are quick a bit of performance mods that can be done for free or cheap. Carb tuning, airbox mods, removing smog equipment, exhaust changes, airfilter changes, etc. Because the engine is based heavily on that of the proven KLX300R, there are tons of aftermarket options available for performance enhancements. For example, there are at least two different big bore kits available to take the displacement up to about 300cc or 331cc.

Any way you cut it, though, it's an around town bike - especially this super motard version. I just don't see where you could take it and legally have fun with it. At least the dual sport version was made to get offroad and knock around. That's where it really excelled. It was an absolute blast in the woods. Light enough to throw around and do just about anything, but plenty of power to boot.

I sold the KLX250S to get a KLR650. I can't say enough good about the KLR. I have never loved a machine as much as I loved that bike. Everyone has there preferences for dualsports in the 650cc range, but I am a definite KLR disciple. It's the go-anywhere, do-anything bike. Actually, it's a lot more versatile, than the Versys.

I sold the KLR to get my Versys. I think I will eventually love the Versys as much, but it truly is apples and oranges. The KLR was good at things that the Versys just won't do at all (offroad) while the Versys is the street machine that the KLR can't even pretend to be. As many have pointed out, unless you are really going to get a chance to do some offroad with the KLR, you really need to be looking more at the Versys. I was fortunate enough to get a decent amount of offroad time, but not enough to justify the compromise in street performance.

I can say with zero hesitation that if I could choose two bikes to own right now today, it would be my Versys and the 2007 KLR (older generation) that I sold. The KLX250 bikes would be awesome to have, but there are just too many bikes out there that do what they do plus bring other options to the table as well.

Obviously all of this is just my opinion, but I've been told that my opinions are better than most people's facts.

Every bike discussed here is a good bike, though, so pick one (or two) of them and have a blast.

Chris in Oneonta, NY
08 Versys that replaced my beloved 07 KLR650

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

>>>> states on a bike <<<<
>>>> East Coast done <<<<
>>>>> Westward HO! <<<<<

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-18-2009, 05:30 AM Thread Starter

Thank you all...

This is exactly what I was looking for some sound info on this cute little thing that I saw...

See I am just always falling for cute little things, that is why I have a petite wife...

So that little bike got to my heart...

I know it would be nice as a toy or a second bike or for those people who live in a really small community so that they can get around, but it doesn't look like something you would take on a highway for a 2hr trip.

Thanks all...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode