Chain Maintenance - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-18-2013, 12:21 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Chain Maintenance

Just wondering...I have not been ridding on wet roads, so my chain looks great (no rust/corrosion) just curious how often the chain should be lubed and any suggestions on what lube to use. My experience with dirt bike chain lubes is messy to say the least, so I was wondering how not to lube a street chain...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-18-2013, 12:31 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Quite a few people here use this....http://www.google.com/search?client=...=1920&bih=1102 Lowe's carries it. I lube my chain about every 400 - 600 miles. I've cleaned my chain once in 14,000 miles. Some guys prefer the wax lubes. Then theres Fast Eddie that only uses WD-40.... When lubing my chain i lay a piece of cardboard under the bike and place a smaller piece behind the chain so it won't spray onto the exhaust.

2009 Blue Versys.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett

Last edited by weljo2001; 03-18-2013 at 01:44 PM.
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-18-2013, 01:09 PM
MTS

+1 Weljo!

A dude named fast eddie uses WD-40. Been trying to get him to quit, but his chains last a long time?

In manual tells you lub to stay away from! You want lub that is ok for o-rings!

Every 300 to 400 miles! Some guys do 200 miles.

( RIDE FREE BE SAFE )

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-18-2013, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weljo2001 View Post
Quite a few people here use this....http://www.google.com/search?client=...=1920&bih=1102 Lowe's carries it.
Web Bike World discovered that the formula for that stuff got changed in the past year or so, and doesn't work as well for drive chains anymore. I don't remember their new favorite, but they don't recommend the DuPont dry wax now.

Jon
'09 Versys in Blue
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-18-2013, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 80-watt Hamster View Post
Web Bike World discovered that the formula for that stuff got changed in the past year or so, and doesn't work as well for drive chains anymore. I don't remember their new favorite, but they don't recommend the DuPont dry wax now.
I just picked up two fresh cans of the blue Teflon at Lowes. They did remove the photo on the front that said "Chains", but chains are still listed on the back! Been using it since new every 2 fill ups. Just like Weljo, cardboard on the floor and between the chain and the exhaust!
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-19-2013, 01:22 AM

Food for thought...

I have been trying a new variation lately...ever since seeing an ad from Maxima (I think it was them...) in a dirt bike magazine for a "chain maintenance kit" consisting of 3 different cans/steps....
The first step was some kind of chain cleaner solvent type spray, which was to be sprayed on and wiped off and then followed with their multi-purpose penetrating spray lube (ala WD-40). The last step, after wiping chain again, is their synthetic chain lube.

I don't know about the 1st step, but I soak my chains with WD 40 after every bike wash, then wipe it off with a rag and finish with a chain lube...it just never occurred to me to do that process every time I lubed the chain. In the ad, they claimed the 2nd step was the most often overlooked one and that it was very "important" because the coat of penetrating lube actually helped get (they implied "force") the chain lube in to where it needed to be to do it's job...I'm paraphrasing, but that was their basic point. Besides, it's not like they are trying to sell anything...

I have been doing "the process" for about 1000 miles, or a few lubes, and have noticed no real difference--I kind of expected more "fling-off" on my rim and elsewhere, but it hasn't been so. It would be interesting to start with a brand new chain and sprockets and see if there is any long-term benefit to using both WD 40 and "regular" chain lube.
I don't think that would work for me because I can get too damn lazy...in the long run, I'd probably just skip straight to the lube about half the time anyway....(there's a metaphor in there somewhere!)

Ride to live, live to ride.
2009 Kawasaki Versys
2010 Yamaha YZ 250F
2008 Honda CRF 450
2006 Honda CR 250R
I've owned a Maico.
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-19-2013, 02:27 AM

I clean the chain with WD40 and lube with Maxima chain wax. No problems here on any of the bikes.
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-19-2013, 05:10 AM

Garage
I clean my chains with diesel. Then hose them down. Then I go for a short ride about 5 minutes or so to warm up the chain. The logic here is when the chain is slightly warm it will expand and thus when you lubricate it, it will penetrate better and such. Seems logical. Then I apply some 3in1 chain lube ( same company as WD40 ).

I do this every month, but in between I just spray the 3in1 stuff. So far so good. Approximately 8000 km on my EK chains.
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-19-2013, 10:29 AM

Garage
Quote:
Webbikeworld is your freind when it comes to lube !!!

LOP
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-19-2013, 02:07 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTS View Post
+1 Weljo! ...A dude named fast eddie uses WD-40. Been trying to get him to quit, but his chains last a long time?
Well, I am THAT DUDE!

The ORIGINAL chain on my '08 is at 42,000 miles and counting, on a "diet" of ONLY WD40 (during those miles I have adjusted the chain a TOTAL of THREE turns of the adjuster bolt). I spray it while it's still hot after ANY longer ride than 50 miles (WD40's cheaper than chains), when I get home. On my LONG rides (Alaska again this summer...!) I spray it as soon as I pull into my campground UNLESS it's raining, in which case I'll pull over and spray it mid-ride.

Remember - you are NOT lubing the chain (the chain is already internally lubed when manufactured) - you are lubing the interface between the chain links and the O-rings, so they don't 'gall' (means 'stick' to the links) which will tear them letting the lube come out.

IF you have a non O-ring chain - then you HAVE TO BE lubing it - but virtually NOBODY runs non O-ring chains on the street!

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-19-2013, 04:53 PM

Pardon my ignorance, this is the first bike I've had with a chain. How do you know if a chain is worn out, other then it breaking? I just got my 09 and it only has 1500 miles, so I assume mine still has a lot of life left in it.
post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-02-2013, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Interesting.. According to Web Bike World, the Blue can is still the same formula and just fine to use on MC chains. They spoke to Dupont. The new Yellow can (Chain Saver) is just a little thicker formula of the blue can contents and was originally marketed to industry instead of consumers.

http://www.webbikeworld.com/t2/motor...n-chain-saver/

Good for me, I have several blue cans on the shelf..
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-02-2013, 07:28 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by imlvnearly View Post
Just wondering...I have not been ridding on wet roads, so my chain looks great (no rust/corrosion) just curious how often the chain should be lubed and any suggestions on what lube to use. My experience with dirt bike chain lubes is messy to say the least, so I was wondering how not to lube a street chain...
I use Dupont Teflon Chain Saver. Their Multi Use Teflon lube is not recommended for chains while their Chain Saver product is designed for motorcycle chain use. The confusion stems from the fact they used to make a product called Multi Use Wax several years ago, which was a different formulation than the current Multi Use product and was designed for chain use. They introduced the Chain Saver product when they discontinued this. Lube the chain after every second fill up and sometimes more frequently.

Clean it about every 700-1000 miles or when chain looks dirty with a Grunge Brush and some diesal fuel or WD-40. Any grit stuck to the chain is bad for chain life.

Last edited by twowheels; 08-02-2013 at 07:31 PM.
post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-02-2013, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheels View Post
The confusion stems from the fact they used to make a product called Multi Use Wax several years ago, which was a different formulation than the current Multi Use product and was designed for chain use.
Damn.. Your right!!! The words "dry wax" listed on my current can but not on the 4 more blue cans I have on the shelf! I will be taking them back to Lowes for store credit.

Looking like the search is on for a few cans of the the yellow chain saver! My Lowes does not carry Chain Saver.

Many Thanks!!
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-03-2013, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zh2oman View Post
Pardon my ignorance, this is the first bike I've had with a chain. How do you know if a chain is worn out, other then it breaking? I just got my 09 and it only has 1500 miles, so I assume mine still has a lot of life left in it.

It gets noisy... needs constant adjustment... has links that are stuck or tight. It's throwing little bits of rubber. Or, you can measure to see if it exceeds specs. Check your sprockets... if they're worn, the chain is probably done, too. My Versys seems to be pretty hard on chains, but I ride a fair amount of dirt/gravel roads with it. My lubrication interval is about 200 miles at this point.
post #16 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-03-2013, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capn Kirk View Post
Looking like the search is on for a few cans of the the yellow chain saver! My Lowes does not carry Chain Saver.
Got mine at Walmart last week...

GeneHil - Mount Dora, FL
2011 Kawasaki Versys
Viet Nam: Dec67-Dec68 & Jul69-Dec72
post #17 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-03-2013, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by genehil View Post
Got mine at Walmart last week...
What section? My automotive department does not stock it with all the other lubes and stuff.
post #18 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-03-2013, 12:21 PM

Got some at a Super Walmart this morning. Hard to find. The Auto dept. had a small section that had some motorcycle stuff (covers,tankbags) and there were a couple cans there.

Andy
post #19 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-03-2013, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andykisz View Post
Got some at a Super Walmart this morning. Hard to find. The Auto dept. had a small section that had some motorcycle stuff (covers,tankbags) and there were a couple cans there.

Andy
Thanks, just ordered a few cans from an Amazon merchant but I will check the MC dept carefully next time I go.
post #20 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-03-2013, 01:21 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by zh2oman View Post
One of the ways (used "back-in-the-day") is to hold the bottom chain run down, and while doing so PULL the chain away from the rear sprocket at the rear. IF it pulls out more than HALF a tooth - it's TOAST!

IF you take care of it (clean, lubed) LOTS of miles. My '08 has 43,000+ miles on the original chain, and my '09 has 35,000+ kms on it's original! (BOTH get used on dirt roads a LOT...!)

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

Last edited by fasteddiecopeman; 08-03-2013 at 01:24 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode