New Owner Needs Windshield Advice - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-17-2009, 04:42 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
New Owner Needs Windshield Advice

Ok, I just put money down on an '09 green Versys that I will pick up next week. I've done lots of research and hear some people think the stock windshield provides enough protection. My question is: Since I plan on making this a commuter/touring bike in the Northeast what windshield have people found to be the best at deflecting the cold weather we have up here. I am leaning toward the touring windshield from Mikes Shields or maybe the Givi. I do have to say Mike made a great over-sized shield for my girlfriend's ninja 250. Recommendations? Keep in mind also that i plan on installing hand guards as well. Also, I am 6' tall, and if anyone has experience with this, can you folks talk about the best shield height. I prefer to just look over the top of the shield. Thanks, Rick

Last edited by jeepinoutwest; 01-17-2009 at 04:52 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-17-2009, 04:45 PM

In my opinion, the stock windshield is a joke and a waste of money. This is the largest one made I believe. I have a Givi, but it gave me a lot of problems with the handguards. I'm thinking of buying this new one.

http://www.parabellum.com/

'09 Versys -Green

TET'68 Survivor
post #3 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-17-2009, 08:32 PM

I'm not sure what the stock windshield does,
but it darn sure don't protect you AT ALL
from the frigid weather I've been riding in!
Even if I lean down over the tank it's like
pissing on a forest fire. Wait, I mean like
wearing a baseball cap under a cold shower.

That Parabellum looks interesting! Pricey
but I've been freezing my butt off for
over 960 miles.

post #4 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-18-2009, 12:18 AM

Another windscreen option to consider is the CalSci shield (see link).

I've never used one, but I hear good things about them. Definitely more coverage than the Givi, and a little cheaper than the Parabellum.

I noticed on their site that they offer a trade-in allowance of $60 if you send in a competitor's shield. I thought that was an interesting marketing approach.

With all of that said, I run with a Givi and I like it a lot. I'd like a little more coverage, but not enough to change I guess.

Chris in Oneonta, NY
08 Versys that replaced my beloved 07 KLR650

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

>>>> states on a bike <<<<
>>>> East Coast done <<<<
>>>>> Westward HO! <<<<<
post #5 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-18-2009, 05:24 AM

After reading other's opinions of screens, I ordered the Vario screen when I first bought the bike, so I haven't ridden much with the stock screen. The Vario still gives me some buffetting, but it's not winter here so I don't know how much it is really protecting me from the cold.

On my last bike I had a National Cycle F15 touring screen, which was very good. Here in Oz the F15 costs about half what I paid for the Vario. Now that I've had the bike for a couple of months I wish I had not got the Vario, but adapted the F15 to this bike instead.

Mike's screens look good from here, very impressive.
post #6 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-18-2009, 07:21 AM

If you're not doing anything with that warm air,
send some up here. I call where I live "Oz" too
but it IS winter here. My last bike only had two
choices in windshields; this is too much like when
I would stand in front of the candy counter,
clutching my nickel, trying to decide...
post #7 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-18-2009, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepinoutwest View Post
Ok, I just put money down on an '09 green Versys that I will pick up next week. I've done lots of research and hear some people think the stock windshield provides enough protection. My question is: Since I plan on making this a commuter/touring bike in the Northeast what windshield have people found to be the best at deflecting the cold weather we have up here. I am leaning toward the touring windshield from Mikes Shields or maybe the Givi. I do have to say Mike made a great over-sized shield for my girlfriend's ninja 250. Recommendations? Keep in mind also that i plan on installing hand guards as well. Also, I am 6' tall, and if anyone has experience with this, can you folks talk about the best shield height. I prefer to just look over the top of the shield. Thanks, Rick
My current screen is the large CalSci in conjunction with the MadStad bracket. For me, the range of adjustabliity is fantastic, both allowing me to look through or over, depending on my mood and comfort. I too, ride the cold weather in the Northeast, specifically Mass. Highly recommended.
post #8 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-18-2009, 11:08 AM Thread Starter

Redline, Im from Mass as well. Can you tell me do I really need the Madstad Bracket? if so is it an easy install? I am 6' ish is the large screen my best bet?
post #9 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-18-2009, 01:18 PM

Has there been something on the forum about
the 'MadStad bracket?' I don't remember seeing
that. Pictures, links, cost? I thought I'd found
almost everything about windshields but obviously
I missed this.
post #10 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-18-2009, 02:28 PM

Discussed here.

Chris in Oneonta, NY
08 Versys that replaced my beloved 07 KLR650

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

>>>> states on a bike <<<<
>>>> East Coast done <<<<
>>>>> Westward HO! <<<<<
post #11 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-18-2009, 03:14 PM

Thanks, Chris (see other thread for reply)

I'm still playing catch-up and looks like a
great number of core members already
availed themselves of Marcus' genius.
post #12 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-18-2009, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Redline, Im from Mass as well. Can you tell me do I really need the Madstad Bracket? if so is it an easy install? I am 6' ish is the large screen my best bet?
Well...need is a relative question. I got along without it 'till Mark at MadStad came out with the bracket not long ago. I guess once you have it, it becomes indesposable. It really works that well. I was one of the early ones to actually test the bracket for Mark, and I believe one of the first to mention it needed to be stiffened up, hence the reason for the extra plate he supplies. It really does work as designed and turns a good windshield into a "versatile" one. I had no problems with the large screen, I'm only 5'8", and with the bracket, Looking over OR through is now optional. Where do ya live? Maybe you could take a ride over and have a look-see for yourself.....I'm in Brimfield...next to Sturbridge...BTW,......very easy install.
post #13 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-18-2009, 06:46 PM

Jeepinoutwest, the stock shield is good at keeping bugs off your stomach. Other than that, it makes a neat conversation piece on your coffee table after you take it off. I have the Cee Bailey shield, and I am very pleased with it. http://www.ceebaileys.com/cycle/ Here are some pics. I don't know if they are still offering variations, but get the tall one with the rounded top. You can move it up and down on your mounts to where you get the best result. That calsci looks like it would really protect you well. I think the ceebailey is nicer looking, but out in the "big wind" as I call it, you love a shield for what it does. I tour a lot and ride between 70 and 80 mph. Congrats on your purchase! You picked a really wonderful bike. Be safe and have fun! The top case in the picture is a Shad.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Shad 45 versys front.jpg (167.7 KB, 163 views)
File Type: jpg Shad 45 versys close.jpg (190.4 KB, 117 views)
post #14 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-19-2009, 03:49 AM

I have the 11 inch taller cal-sci. If you go to Mark's web site, you will see my bike with the tall one.

I have been very satisfied with it. By drilling a couple of extra holes, I have quite a range of movement.

I recently purchased the Mad Stad bracket, and the big touring shield that Mike makes. I got the shield with no holes drilled, and then used the wider setting on the Mad Stad for the Wee strom shields. It makes the Stad bracket a little sturdier with less wobble when in the highest position. There is still a little more wobble than I like when on rough dirt roads, but nothing I can't live with.

I think the tilting feature in conjunction with Mike's big shield will prove to be a good combo. What little I have gotten to ride, what with the weather and all, I have noticed that playing with the height and tilt, I have found some quiet spots.

Mike makes a nice shield, I think you might like it. Probably the Mad Stad bracket is worth the price and effort as well. Gives lots more options for finding quiet air.

Anybody else think these buffalo wings taste a lot like chicken?

2008 Concours
2008 Versys
Restored 69 Honda Trail 90
Whizzer motorbike
post #15 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-19-2009, 08:05 AM

I have the Proto Parabellum shields. Excellent coverage with the shorter/narrower one for all but the coldest weather. The tall one is good down in the low 30's. Charly will make it any height you want.

Bill

Versys
F650GSD
FLSTSCI
XR650L
Tri Scrambler
XR50
SRX600
Zuma 125
T100R
Aero 50
EZ90
PA50
States by MC

post #16 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-19-2009, 08:55 AM

You guys are NOT making it any easier to make a decision!

Ha ha, thanks for all the input here. I decided I like the
look of the MP Cycle design on the MadStad bracket
that's made for the Versys but drilled for the VStrom
(wider) holes, as above. Cool thing is I can order both
the w/s and the bracket from MP Cycle. How cool is that?

Also the idea of having more than one w/s never occurred
to me before either. Assuming my financier will release
the funds... (Her birthday is in Feb so that should be
a good opportunity to score some points) (Yeah, I'm
whupped and I LOVE it!)

Who'd have thought the Versys would have more w/s
options than the GoldWing? Man, I'm in the company
of GIANTS! Hope y'all get to ride soon. I'm heading
out to lunch in a distant city on a stupid cruiser, since
my Vs. seat is at Spencers getting modified. Drats!
At least it has a big windshield...
post #17 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-19-2009, 11:33 AM

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by AvaChava View Post
You guys are NOT making it any easier to make a decision!

Ha ha, thanks for all the input here. I decided I like the
look of the MP Cycle design on the MadStad bracket
that's made for the Versys but drilled for the VStrom
(wider) holes, as above. Cool thing is I can order both
the w/s and the bracket from MP Cycle. How cool is that?

Also the idea of having more than one w/s never occurred
to me before either. Assuming my financier will release
the funds... (Her birthday is in Feb so that should be
a good opportunity to score some points) (Yeah, I'm
whupped and I LOVE it!)

Who'd have thought the Versys would have more w/s
options than the GoldWing? Man, I'm in the company
of GIANTS! Hope y'all get to ride soon. I'm heading
out to lunch in a distant city on a stupid cruiser, since
my Vs. seat is at Spencers getting modified. Drats!
At least it has a big windshield...
I know, it's tough! Choosing a different windshield is challenging. That's the beauty of the MadStad bracket. It allows you to have coverage {or not}of MANY different windshields {as long as you have a good starting point..} I think I would recommend that you choose a windshield that might err on the side of being too tall...at least that way, with the bracket you can adjust it lower, and still see over it when you want. Worst case is you can cut the 'screen down if you had to. CalSci gives you instruction on doing just that if the need arose. I drilled a couple of extra holes in mine {the CalSci, like August did} to give me even more freedom of adjustability. Happy hunting!!!
post #18 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-19-2009, 12:01 PM Thread Starter

Hi Redline, Yeah I'm from Worcester and know exactly where Brimfield is. I have an Ex from there. Anyway, I'm 90% sure I'm going with the CalSci (large or XL depending on how the measuring goes) but am not sure if I will use the MadStad bracket. I'm fairly certain once I mount it just below my line of sight i will not want to move it. Also I am a little concerned the MadStad may add some instability to the shield. Send me a PM if your willing to show yours off. Thanks Rick
post #19 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-19-2009, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Hi Redline, Yeah I'm from Worcester and know exactly where Brimfield is. I have an Ex from there. Anyway, I'm 90% sure I'm going with the CalSci (large or XL depending on how the measuring goes) but am not sure if I will use the MadStad bracket. I'm fairly certain once I mount it just below my line of sight i will not want to move it. Also I am a little concerned the MadStad may add some instability to the shield. Send me a PM if your willing to show yours off. Thanks Rick

Rick, you have a PM......
post #20 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-20-2009, 10:31 AM

If you plan to add handguards you need to be careful of the clearance for a full steering lock on the bars. My handguards just barely bump the large Givi shield I have, but I had to adjust the handlebars back and the handguards down slightly to make it fit. I have not heard whether the other shields work OK with handguards.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode