That was a stupid thing to do! - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-16-2013, 06:36 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Red face That was a stupid thing to do!

I got the Versys out for the first time this year. It was over 50 and the roads were dry. I had a little running around to do so thought "Why Not"? So being warmish I didn't dress for the arctic just lined tour jacket, regular gloves and boots, After all I was only going about 5-10 miles. My 1st stop went OK, on the second, I was in Lowes a lot longer than I planed, I noticed it seemed chiller when leaving. Then to the Mall (or Maul ) and the Radio Shack, the shoe store and Sears. On walking back out I was shocked at how cold it was. The sign at the bank say 35. I'd left all my gear on the bike, saddle bags and tail truck are great, BUT it was all colder than a brass monkey! It ended up being 10 miles home and I was shivering so bad I almost dropped the bike backing it into the garage. NEVER going to go out without all extra clothing this time of year again.

I parked the bike last Nov. and other than being on the battery tender and being on the pit stands I haven't done anything other than start it once. BUT it fired right up and ran like a champ. I did clean it good, changed the oil and lubed the chain when I stored it. I did have to air up the tires as they were low, the little compressor I bought worked great other than being loud as crap! BUT after dealing with a grumpy old KLR in the spring it was a nice change. I did start the KLR this afternoon...took 10 min to get it to fire up and run right. BUT it did start!

Or was that look THEN leap?
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2012 650 Versys

Last edited by Time; 03-16-2013 at 08:31 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-16-2013, 06:56 PM

Similiar thing happened to me once..

I was working 2nd shift and didn't check the weather like I usually do. As soon as I got to work, everyone was like, are you crazy?? Temps are gonna be in the 20's tonight! I live in Central Florida so that's kinda crazy, but sure enough, temps started dropping.. I went to the kitchen before leaving around midnight and grabbed some cellophane. Wrapped my torso, arms, and made mittens to go over my gloves. Worked pretty good. Always check the weather every day since.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-16-2013, 08:21 PM

Last winter I knowingly used to ride to work (3rd shift) in sub freezing conditions...Lowest I went to work in was 15F . Even got caught in a bit of snow. It's not bad if your dress like an Eskimo but you sure know it when you don't have enough clothes!

Bikes:
65cc Benelli Dynamo
Yamaha ttr-125
Kawasaki KX-125
Yamaha Yz426-f (current)
2010 Kawasaki Versys! (very current and loving it!)

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-16-2013, 11:54 PM

Heated grips are nice for the times when you end up not dressed warmly enough for conditions. They're always on your bike, and adding heat to your hands can help keep your body warmer. Nowhere close to an electric jacket liner, but so much better than nothing.

I wore moto jeans and an uninsulated jacket today, and did not need the heated grips.

Glad things are a bit warmer now, since my Gerbings electric jacket liner needs to be sent in for repairs. Again. Sent it in just before the Winter too, and got it back repaired within a week. Even with turnaround that fast it could be bad if it's a cold week.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-18-2013, 08:26 PM

Where I ride you can start your ride @ 75F go down to 25F and then up again to 90F, all in a single summer day ride.

Got to love Colorado.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-18-2013, 10:20 PM

Garage
Must be interesting for you guys with winter climates to go through these challenges. Glad we dont have that here in the tropics.....all we have is hot, very hot, wet, very wet....ehehehe..
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-18-2013, 10:59 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Send a message via Skype™ to kiwi 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hades View Post
Must be interesting for you guys with winter climates to go through these challenges. Glad we dont have that here in the tropics.....all we have is hot, very hot, wet, very wet....ehehehe..
You forgot to add very, very wet
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode