Would you please ride more careful, you're killing me!! - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-13-2009, 06:39 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Would you please ride more careful, you're killing me!!

I got my insurance renewal the other day. I had a feeling it was going up (I'm with AIG). I have 6 bikes fully insured and the highest insurance is the V. My lowest bike is a 1993 GTS 1000, which is 20% of the cost of the V. Three of my bikes (2002 DL1000, 2000 BMW R1100RT, & 2000 Buell S3T) are about 55% the cost of the V. Now here's the kicker, my 2008 Kawa GTR14 is less than half the cost of the V.

My agent states it is simply the loss history of the V. Now this where you come in. Please ride safer, you're killing me on the insurnace rate of the V.

It is hard to believe a bike almost half the cost and less than half the HP and torque of the Concours, but insurance cost twice as much. I really thought it should be much less than the Connie.

I'm having my agent do some research. I may have to split up my policy if I can find someone who doesn't rate the V so high.

Let tme know your experience with insuring the V (high or low).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-13-2009, 07:19 PM
Super Moderator

Wife says we're paying $30-$40 a month for full coverage on the Versys. It was less than $10 a month on the DRZ 400.

Still, I'll try to be more careful...

post #3 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-13-2009, 07:28 PM

I have State Farm and my premium on the Versys is $33.55 per month.

Mike................Sweet Home Alabama

post #4 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-13-2009, 07:28 PM

Hey JEJCPA, I'm in Middle Tennessee too, and I'm with State Farm, full coverage 100/300/100 and it runs me about $435 annually. I've got home & auto with them as well and been with them for 15 years. They told me up front that they probably weren't the absolute cheapest, but it's just easier for me to roll it up with everything else than to go hunting to save a few dollars each month.

If you're nearby in Mid Tenn, I'm always up for a ride. Just last Friday I rode about 250 miles roundtrip down to Lynchburg, TN, for a tour of the Jack Daniel's distillery and had a great trip.
post #5 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-13-2009, 08:05 PM

I am with Dairyland Insurance here in Dallas, Tx. My full coverage insurance for a year is about $250.00 with a $250.00 deductible. That includes rental reimbursement of $45.00 per day. Towing is included. Dairyland had the best rates of anyone I could find.

You might want to see what they are classifying the bike as. It sounds like they are quoting you sport bike prices for what Dairyland considers a dual purpose.

'09 Versys -Green

TET'68 Survivor
post #6 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-13-2009, 08:37 PM

I've got max coverage accept for damage I do to my own bike...$375 a year.
post #7 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-13-2009, 08:48 PM

My V is 423.00 per year with Progressive...When I first bought it Progressive quoted me 289.00 per year and I said sweeeeeet. But then underwriting found out the V is a KLE650 not a KLR650 which was the 289.00 quote. The underwriter dude said your V is a sport bike and the KLR is more off roady, hence the amount you get to pay to play on a V...

If I new what I was doing, I wouldn't still be working
post #8 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-13-2009, 09:55 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for being more careful!

I know that insurance is a widely discussed subject, but how can anyone rate the Versys so high or is it that the Concours is so low.

I have been with Progressive and Dairyland. They seem to hook you with low prices and then raise them, but that might have been bad timing. AIG is asking $336 for the V and $178 for the Concours, both with $250 deductible. My total bill for 6 bikes is $1,212. Last year it was less than $700 for 5 bikes (same 5 plus now the V). They want $75 for the Yamaha GTS 1000, which is almost double from last year.

If I can't get some relief, I might have to drop the collision on most including the V, which is $255 for just the collision. Then I'll have to be more careful.

GoFaster, I live near Fairview. Give me a call @ 615-347-2201. I'm real busy until after tax season, but then I ride a lot.
post #9 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-13-2009, 10:08 PM
Super Moderator

Sounds like maybe you need to trim a few toys...

post #10 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-13-2009, 10:45 PM

I'm paying over $600 a year for full coverage with Progressive. To me the insurance on this bike is outrageous and I wish that I'd of never bought it. I'm 47 years old, have no points on my drivers license, and have never had a speeding ticket in my life. It's a good thing I have an old car, 1996 Chrysler Sebring JX Covertible. I have minimum coverage on that which is $278 a year.
post #11 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-14-2009, 12:15 AM

I've got Progressive on my V only, $301 a year. If they even think to increase it come May, I'll be looking for another carrier.
post #12 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-14-2009, 05:21 AM

Here in Oz I pay about $450 for comprehensive per year. That includes a loading for clothing and extras to the bike (rack, topbox & vario screen).

My wife's 1996 Mazda 323 insurance came today, $388 but the car is only worth about $6,000. The Versys value is double that but similar insurance. Can't complain.
post #13 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-14-2009, 06:07 AM

Despite what they told you about the loss history of the V, it is more likely that it is the "lack of history" that is driving the rate. Insurance companies don't like to take risks on things they don't have any history on. Give it a couple of years and I bet you see it go down (as long as some guy in Suches quits hitting bears and poles). They obviously don't understand what the bike is and the demographics of the owners...we are a bit older crowd...many of you have already survived your sport biking days.

Steve

I bought a motorcycle because my wife said that I couldn't! Now I have two and she still says I can't have another one!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sounds like a challenge to me!

Now I have four!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #14 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-14-2009, 08:47 AM

I am 31 and have had my M endorsment less than a year. i use http://www.ridewithrider.com/ and pay 412 for the year. shop around. age, CC size, driving history and location have alot to do with how much you pay.
post #15 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-14-2009, 09:01 AM

State farm 4 me!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEJCPA View Post
I got my insurance renewal the other day. I had a feeling it was going up (I'm with AIG). I have 6 bikes fully insured and the highest insurance is the V. My lowest bike is a 1993 GTS 1000, which is 20% of the cost of the V. Three of my bikes (2002 DL1000, 2000 BMW R1100RT, & 2000 Buell S3T) are about 55% the cost of the V. Now here's the kicker, my 2008 Kawa GTR14 is less than half the cost of the V.

My agent states it is simply the loss history of the V. Now this where you come in. Please ride safer, you're killing me on the insurnace rate of the V.

It is hard to believe a bike almost half the cost and less than half the HP and torque of the Concours, but insurance cost twice as much. I really thought it should be much less than the Connie.

I'm having my agent do some research. I may have to split up my policy if I can find someone who doesn't rate the V so high.

Let tme know your experience with insuring the V (high or low).
Im in Central IL, and Im w/State Farm. I pay $26 per month ($312 per year)which think is pretty decent. I have had cheaper quotes from some companies I am not familiar with-but I went with a cheap insurance quote way back in '92 and got screwed when I needed it! So I will stick with State Farm-I know they stand behind their policies! Not that i plan on using it of course!!
My point i guess is that just because someone is cheaper doesnt neccisarily justify going that way depending on pay history.

2008 Versys
Muzzy Exhaust-race core!!

Upgraded Kawi Windshield
Madstadd Bracket
Fiamm 132 db low note horn

Osram Hyper 65 h7 lights

Kawi/Givi V35 Bags
Shad SH-29 Top Case
SW-Motech Quick release Brackets
Sw-Motech Alu-Rack
Garmin GPSMap 60csx

Joe Rocket Manta Tankbag-Red
Kawi Tank Protector
post #16 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-14-2009, 09:32 AM

Have State Farm. $385 a year, full coverage, $1,000 accessory rider, fire and theft.
On three bikes.
79 KZ650
08 EN500
08 Versys

They also cover house, truck and car. We have been with them for 27 years and have only had two claims and four tickets (all over ten years ago).

Dan

$100 an hour for therapy or...
$100 for gas...
I'm going riding!

post #17 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-14-2009, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEJCPA View Post
snip... 2008 Kawa GTR14...snip .
I believe you meant to say Concours...the "GTR" moniker really chaps some hides within the Concours Owners Group (no, I am not a member, just know quite a lot), and some others within this industry. I'm still jealous of all the bikes you've got, though, you lucky dog, you!
post #18 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-14-2009, 09:35 AM

For real

For real,

My insurance on my SV650S which is a sport bike known for high rate of accidents and it was only $300/yr in FL with Geico.

I just don't understand what it the thing with the Versys, but that is crazy.

Someone needs to take another look at the Versys an fix the rating on this bike.

I understand is more of a street bike then a off road bike, but still it is no race bike and people who usually ride Versys are not the racing type...

Something just doesn't smell good...
post #19 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-14-2009, 10:54 AM

you all have it so good you dont even know. Up here in BC we have ICBC and per month they charge me for both my car and bike 170 bucks, now seeing a insurance rate of 480/year or 300/year makes me happy for you all

Working to make it my Streetfighter
V
post #20 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-14-2009, 06:38 PM

I'm in NY with progressive with full coverage on both my bikes.....a 06 M109r $365 per year and 08 Verys $835 per year. If I don't find cheaper coverage for the V, I'm taking off the comp and coll. I asked progressive why so much, the V is listed as a sport bike.

Last edited by Li432Paul; 01-14-2009 at 06:40 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode