Metzeler SPTEC M-3
Bridgestone BT023
Michelin RD3
Metz Z8-INT
Pirelli D-Rosso 2
Dunlop R Smart 2
Michelin Tire Power 3

99% street ride.

Leaning towards Michelin RD3 (Road Pilot 3)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-15-2013, 11:12 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
You can't go wrong with Pilot Road 3s. I actually still buy the PR2s as I think they look better and in the rain offer way more grip then I'm game to test (and PR3s aren't that much better as the PR2s are already stunning). Place your order you won,t regret.

Metz M-3 grip but melt like butter. Really look at all the reviews on the web, the PR2s and PR3s are really in a league on their own and best combination of wet-dry grip, short warm up, and durability. I've tried doing a burnout on wet cold road with my FZ8, I leaned forward, reved it, and popped the clutch...well the front lifted instead of the rear spinning...I think that says it all. My brother was following me in his car he was also surprised of the grip consider how cold and wet the conditions were and I just left home so tires were cold too.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-15-2013, 11:14 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kawa007 View Post
You can't go wrong with Pilot Road 3s. I actually still buy the PR2s as I think they look better and in the rain offer way more grip then I'm game to test (and PR3s aren't that much better as the PR2s are already stunning). Place your order you won,t regret.

Metz M-3 grip but melt like butter. Really look at all the reviews on the web, the PR2s and PR3s are really in a league on their own and best combination of wet-dry grip, short warm up, and durability. I've tried doing a burnout on wet cold road with my FZ8, I leaned forward, reved it, and popped the clutch...well the front lifted instead of the rear spinning...I think that says it all. My brother was following me in his car he was also surprised of the grip consider how cold and wet the conditions were and I just left home so tires were cold too.
have heard allot of good reviews of that tire no one complains that's for sure...

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-15-2013, 11:20 AM

You can find a few people complain about the occasional weird wearing pattern just like on any other tires you can get a bad one maybe out of every 20000 tires sold, but I can say for about 5 years its pretty much all I put on all my bikes...and the only reason I would put something else is to improve off-road capabilities.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-15-2013, 11:22 AM

This was the front tire on my FZ8 after about 20000km...and I ride probably 50% of the time on the highway...and no obvious cupping occuring. Really they are brilliant.
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-15-2013, 11:29 AM

PR 3's would be my pick
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-15-2013, 11:34 AM

PR3's or tge /metzler Z8's are both great tires

Bikes:
65cc Benelli Dynamo
Yamaha ttr-125
Kawasaki KX-125
Yamaha Yz426-f (current)
2010 Kawasaki Versys! (very current and loving it!)
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-15-2013, 11:38 AM

I shred M/C tires on all of my bikes. The Michelin STs, PR3 and PR2 are fantastic tires. My latest favorite tires are the Bridgestone S20 and Dunlop Q2. For a frame of reference I get 2,000 mikes from a set of S20s before the sides are to the chords (front and rear). PR2s go 2,500 on the V. That is a 20% improvement so if you normally get 5 to 7K out of a set of tires that is a lot of value.

I am in the middle of testing the new Roadsmart 2's on my VFR. Fantastic tire that I heartily recommend. They steer quicker than the PRs and have equal, maybe slightly better grip.

One thing about the PR3...best wet tire ever. This is well documented on the web so it must be true, no? Even French models get this fact. I use only PR3s on my Tiger 800. With the Triumph's ABS and the PR3's crazy wet traction I have never felt safer riding wet mountain roads.

If you ride in the rain at all then PR3 FTW.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-15-2013, 12:06 PM Thread Starter

Thanks all PRs's have been ordered!
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-15-2013, 10:15 PM

Quote:

This was the front tire on my FZ8 after about 20000km...and I ride probably 50% of the time on the highway...and no obvious cupping occuring. Really they are brilliant.
That's a PR2?

I have over 20k miles (over 32000 km) on my front Z8 Interact on my Versys and it's less worn than that. I realize they're on different bikes, different conditions etc. and it doesn't prove the Z8 lasts longer. But I'm still impressed by the longevity. Got about 12k miles out of my 1st Z8 rear.

One thing that really impressed me about the Z8 was getting good grip and longevity from a single compound tire. If a multi-compound sport touring tire doesn't give me better grip or longevity why would I use it? Maybe if it's a lot cheaper...
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-15-2013, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kebrider View Post
One thing about the PR3...best wet tire ever. This is well documented on the web so it must be true, no?

Where on the web? Not here (under Test Results) by any chance?
http://www.metzeler.com/site/us/prod...-Interact.html
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-15-2013, 10:33 PM

I use Metz Z8 Interacts too. I like the single compound because it doesn't develop any hump between the wear of the two compounds, just one non-humpy parabolic curve. (Apologies to math geeks if I have that wrong.)

Someday is not a day of the week.
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-15-2013, 11:16 PM

Bought the PR3's. They've worked really well in the wet, and look to last a long time.

Felt more confident (in dry conditions) with the stockers though.

Black 2012 Versys-Sold!
Blue WR250R
Green Bolens
Black GSX-S750
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-15-2013, 11:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMA213 View Post
Bought the PR3's. They've worked really well in the wet, and look to last a long time.

Felt more confident (in dry conditions) with the stockers though.
That's kind of shocking... The stocker I had were by far the scariest tire i've ever ridden on in the dry or wet

Using Pirelli Diablo ST's right now... awesome grip but I think i'm only going to get 8k out of the rear so I'm going to the Z8's next

Bikes:
65cc Benelli Dynamo
Yamaha ttr-125
Kawasaki KX-125
Yamaha Yz426-f (current)
2010 Kawasaki Versys! (very current and loving it!)
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-16-2013, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidg View Post

Where on the web? Not here (under Test Results) by any chance?
http://www.metzeler.com/site/us/prod...-Interact.html
Do a google search for Pilot Road 3 wet grip and you may turn up something but the sheer number of online testimonials for PR3 wet weather performance is ridiculous. Look into enthusiasts websites like ADVrider or any sport touring model owner's forum and it is always mentioned in their tire review section.

Here is a link to a British Bike Magazine's online review of a PR3 http://www.visordown.com/features/mi...iew/18694.html

When you want to know how stuff works on the rain ask a Brit.

KEB
post #16 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-16-2013, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidg View Post
That's a PR2?

I have over 20k miles (over 32000 km) on my front Z8 Interact on my Versys and it's less worn than that. I realize they're on different bikes, different conditions etc. and it doesn't prove the Z8 lasts longer. But I'm still impressed by the longevity. Got about 12k miles out of my 1st Z8 rear.

One thing that really impressed me about the Z8 was getting good grip and longevity from a single compound tire. If a multi-compound sport touring tire doesn't give me better grip or longevity why would I use it? Maybe if it's a lot cheaper...
Yes that's a PR2, but specially with my FZ8 I rod quite aggressively all the time, so for me that kind of longevity was quite impressive. I was either full throttle or hard on the brakes. And I need to ride about an hour to get to any fun twisty roads, so lots of highway. Really I can't recommend them enough. I'd rather have 15% more grip then 15% more longevity.
post #17 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-18-2013, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Same here, I've had Bridgestones on the Versys and just changed them for my trusty PR2s. BTs were actually ok, but the PR2s are much better.
On my VFR, switching from stock BT21s to PR2s meant stopping to crap bricks and starting to really enjoy the ride again. Michelin Pilot Roads are a no brainer.
post #18 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-18-2013, 07:17 PM

I'm currently getting to know the Dunlop Roadsmart 2s and they are performing really well in cold temperatures. Previous set was Michelin PR3s , absolutely loved those but wanted to try something else for comparison. Next one in line is the Pirelli Angel GT.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode