Center Stand Update - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 45 (permalink) Old 01-11-2009, 06:58 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Center Stand Update

Well, here it is a week later and I'll bet I've remade this stupid stand 15 times and I think I'm finally getting close. When I get one part to work, something is always in the way and it has to be redesigned to make that something fit. When that something fits, something else doesn't. Making everything go together is quiet a chore and it's all trial and error.Prototypes are time consuming and aggravatiing, not to mention getting expensive. Getting real close though.

'09 Versys -Green

TET'68 Survivor

Last edited by dallasdon; 02-06-2009 at 08:27 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 45 (permalink) Old 01-11-2009, 09:21 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to hellcatz
Very impressive!
post #3 of 45 (permalink) Old 01-11-2009, 10:17 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Good on Ya, Don!
Be damned nice if you can come up with a good one that someone can make up for the rest of us!
Ed

post #4 of 45 (permalink) Old 01-11-2009, 11:05 PM

Send a message via MSN to joshmedley
don, question...got an idea...did you draw anything out with dimensions???? sort of a cad file? just by the pictures, i think i can cut it in one piece on my water jet.
post #5 of 45 (permalink) Old 01-12-2009, 12:42 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshmedley View Post
don, question...got an idea...did you draw anything out with dimensions???? sort of a cad file? just by the pictures, i think i can cut it in one piece on my water jet.
I have somewhat drawn it out, but the design and dimensions keep changing almost on an hourly basis as I build. I used to be in the oil business and when we needed something we built it first and then drew the plans. Seems kind of ass backwards, but it's the only way this will work. There are three main pieces and their relationship to each other in the design alters each of their design as I see another modification dictated by a small alteration of any of them. When I get it to a truly workable model, I'll draw it.

Do you have a manufacturing facility? I'll need one sooner or later.

'09 Versys -Green

TET'68 Survivor
post #6 of 45 (permalink) Old 01-12-2009, 08:08 AM

not exactly...I'm a mechanical and electrical engineer and I'm the manager of our maintenance department. just an industrial machine shop in a chemical plant. basically set up for making emergency parts.
post #7 of 45 (permalink) Old 01-12-2009, 09:38 AM

Dang - that thing looks pretty complex to put together! I can apreciate all the problems you're running into. Good luck with this project. One consideration you might not have had a chance to check out yet... will it drag the pavement before the footpegs on hard turns?

Jeff in Illinois
07 Bandit
03 KLR
82 Rokon
post #8 of 45 (permalink) Old 02-13-2009, 11:32 AM Thread Starter

It appears that the "infamous" (impossible) center stand for the Versys is going into production shortly. It is solid steel and the weight is turning out to be about 9 lbs. Tubing would put the cost of the stand in the $600.00 + side so I'm not even thinking about it. It is a simple 4 bolt and 1 spring assembly and can be done in 15 to 30 minutes depending on you mechanical ability. This stand allows the use of the side stand at any time.

As it stand now the price of the stand will be in the $225.00 plus shipping range. The stand will be powder coated black as a standard however the Two Stage (two tone as seen in the pictures) with gloss coat is available for an additional cost.

Just keeping everyone up to date and will contact you with a final cost and shipping dates.

Here's a link to the video if you missed it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dq8StWS_hEQ

'09 Versys -Green

TET'68 Survivor

Last edited by dallasdon; 05-26-2010 at 05:13 PM.
post #9 of 45 (permalink) Old 02-13-2009, 12:58 PM

Thats fantastic! I 'll be thinking about that. Love the center stand

Working to make it my Streetfighter
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
V
post #10 of 45 (permalink) Old 02-14-2009, 01:20 PM

Nice work, Don. By chance have you a photo of the bike with the stand retracted?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

[SIZE="1"]Ride. Good.

2003 ST1300ABS
2008 Versys
IBA 59868
post #11 of 45 (permalink) Old 02-14-2009, 04:32 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bones View Post
Nice work, Don. By chance have you a photo of the bike with the stand retracted?
Well, dummy me didn't take a picture of the finished product with the stand up but here is one early version that will give you an idea. The 3 plates on the bottom of the stand were adjustments to heights and the finished stand only had one foot under each leg. A friend of mine has the finished product doing some testing right now so I can't get a current picture of the stand up.

'09 Versys -Green

TET'68 Survivor

Last edited by dallasdon; 05-26-2010 at 05:13 PM.
post #12 of 45 (permalink) Old 02-14-2009, 05:04 PM

anxiously awaiting a green light for payment...great work don.
post #13 of 45 (permalink) Old 02-14-2009, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dallasdon View Post
Well, dummy me didn't take a picture of the finished product with the stand up but here is one early version that will give you an idea. The 3 plates on the bottom of the stand were adjustments to heights and the finished stand only had one foot under each leg. A friend of mine has the finished product doing some testing right now so I can't get a current picture of the stand up.

Understood, Don. I'll look forward to seeing a photo when one is available.

[SIZE="1"]Ride. Good.

2003 ST1300ABS
2008 Versys
IBA 59868
post #14 of 45 (permalink) Old 02-15-2009, 06:28 AM

Hi Don

Any idea when will the first stands be coming off the production line? I live in South Africa and really want one. However, I will be in Toronto in a couple of weeks for a short bit, which will make shipping a whole lot simpler, if things can be made to work out.

Cheers
Dave
post #15 of 45 (permalink) Old 02-15-2009, 10:23 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by davew View Post
Hi Don

Any idea when will the first stands be coming off the production line? I live in South Africa and really want one. However, I will be in Toronto in a couple of weeks for a short bit, which will make shipping a whole lot simpler, if things can be made to work out.

Cheers
Dave

I don't think it's going to make it in time to ship to Canada in your time frame but send me an email with your name, email address and phone number and I'll put you in the database to be notified as soon as they start shipping. Send your info to [email protected]. I can also email you updates directly as far as the status of the stand. Thanks for the vote of confidence.

'09 Versys -Green

TET'68 Survivor
post #16 of 45 (permalink) Old 02-15-2009, 11:20 AM

Don, Don't remember whether you told me you lowered your bike or not. Just wondering if it is for a lowered version. Kind of hopeing it was. Please take some of this Iowa snow and send some warm air.

Yamaha Secca II
1600 Classic-sold
08 Verseys
1986 Corvette

Life is not a practice run. Enjoy each and every day.
post #17 of 45 (permalink) Old 02-15-2009, 11:28 AM

he's got a sporty foot in the right position, so my assumption is that he has lowered.
post #18 of 45 (permalink) Old 02-15-2009, 11:45 AM Thread Starter

Yes, I have the lowering kit with a bigfoot on my Versys. It does not matter whether or not you have the lowering kit as the center stand mounts on frame items that are not affected by lowering it. The lowering kit lowers the top portion of the bike but the ground clearance remains the same so there is no problem.

'09 Versys -Green

TET'68 Survivor
post #19 of 45 (permalink) Old 02-15-2009, 11:46 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deano View Post
Don, Don't remember whether you told me you lowered your bike or not. Just wondering if it is for a lowered version. Kind of hopeing it was. Please take some of this Iowa snow and send some warm air.
Poor baby! I guess I should have some sympathy for you but I'll think about it while I'm our riding in the nice Texas weather.

Come on down when you get a chance and I'll treat you to some great BBQ a cold beer and some great riding weather.

'09 Versys -Green

TET'68 Survivor
post #20 of 45 (permalink) Old 02-15-2009, 12:06 PM

Don, I wondered if it worked on the lowered bike. We had lowered one of my wifes BMW's for her and had to cut the center stand down or you couldn't get it up on it easy. Your point makes sense with this one. Balmy 30 here with an inch of snow. Lovely

Yamaha Secca II
1600 Classic-sold
08 Verseys
1986 Corvette

Life is not a practice run. Enjoy each and every day.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode