How well did your Versys survive a crash? - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-14-2013, 01:32 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
How well did your Versys survive a crash?

Inspired by a thread about DIY axle sliders and a descriptive of a crash, how about real world advice on what works and what does not if you crash.

I had an off when the front wheel went away from me on mud. I came off my Versys at about 35 mph and it slide for about 30 feet turning back to face the way it was going before it came to rest when it went off the road onto the grassy verge.

I had fitted the Kawasaki engine protectors and it worn away as it slid taking about 1cm off the end of it. There were slight scratches to the radiator cowl. The Kawasaki (Givi) pannier was scratched but held fine. There were very minor scratches to the wing mirror end, indicator and bottom of the fork and brake.

The main damage was the hand guard bent and broke the end off the brake lever and snapped off at the bit that fit onto the handle bar. That in turn hit the screen and snapped it down the middle.

The pannier has had a replacement coloured insert and the other part has been sanded and covered with some stuff used to protect car sills and bumper edges

The scratches on the cowl have been covered with the same stuff

The other scratches have had a gentle sand and touch up with paint and I have fitted axle sliders. Most impressive was how well the pannier held. Least was the hand guard snapping and breaking the screen. The Kawasaki engine protector worked well but I suspect that crash bars would have worked better because they would not have worn away causing the cowl to get scratched. But they saved actual damage to the engine.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-14-2013, 01:42 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Well i got hit by a car and the bike bounced off the pavement a couple of times. Not really that much damage, Because of the Hepco/Beckers Crash Bars and Acerbis Handguards...I added front axle sliders after the wreck.Me on the other hand had 2 fractures below right knee and a fractured left wrist. Photos of the bike...http://www.flickr.com/photos/5418178...7628210904815/

2009 Blue Versys.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #3 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-14-2013, 01:57 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by weljo2001 View Post
Well i got hit by a car and the bike bounced off the pavement a couple of times. Not really that much damage, Because of the Hepco/Beckers Crash Bars and Acerbis Handguards...I added front axle sliders after the wreck.Me on the other hand had 2 fractures below right knee and a fractured left wrist. Photos of the bike...http://www.flickr.com/photos/5418178...7628210904815/
Is that Speedy's highway peg and did the cowl get scratched as well as the crash bar?

The Acerbis hand guard looks like it held up well. What happened to the screen? I got away with scraps and bruises as i slid along the road surface watching my bike slide away from me!

post #4 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-14-2013, 02:23 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Throttled View Post
Is that Speedy's highway peg and did the cowl get scratched as well as the crash bar?

The Acerbis hand guard looks like it held up well. What happened to the screen? I got away with scraps and bruises as i slid along the road surface watching my bike slide away from me!

Thats just a paint smudge on the top of the Cowl and a scratch at the lower part. Yea thats speedys highway peg mount.I believe it saved my leg from much worse damage. That area was the direct point of impact. The windscreen mounts snapped at impact and the windscreen broke into 2 pieces. I used the stock barend weights with the handguards its make the bars wider but keeps the bike more off the ground if you drop it. I wound up going over the hood of the car. The guy decided to make a U-Turn just as i was passing him. If he would have stopped right away the leg would have been okay. His tire was right on my knee and after the hit and i could feel the tire still turning as he was trying to make the turn and as he continued i could feel the knee give. Its kind of wierd because during the wreck it was like in slow motion and its like my brain was completely focused on the knee and every detail pertaining to it.

IMG_0760 by weljo2001, on Flickr

IMG_20111127_133900 by weljo2001, on Flickr

IMG_20111127_133911 by weljo2001, on Flickr

IMG_20111127_133927 by weljo2001, on Flickr

IMG_20111127_133847 by weljo2001, on Flickr

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

Mike Tyson

Last edited by weljo2001; 03-14-2013 at 02:33 PM.
post #5 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-14-2013, 03:01 PM Thread Starter

Your descriptive makes my skin crawl! I like the Kawasaki engine guard as it does not look like any other, but now I would say it needs to be longer or harder wearing to give better protection. It is 80 for a new one.
post #6 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-14-2013, 03:20 PM

Garage
Quote:
Your descriptive makes my skin crawl! I like the Kawasaki engine guard as it does not look like any other, but now I would say it needs to be longer or harder wearing to give better protection. It is 80 for a new one.

I like the looks of the guards you have. They look like they'd be good in a skid but not much good for something like what happened to me. Also about the Highway peg mount in the above photos. Right after i posted about the crash i got a Get Well Card from Speedy along with a new mount. Speedys a class act.

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

Mike Tyson

post #7 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-14-2013, 03:22 PM
MTS

Quote:
Inspired by a thread about DIY axle sliders and a descriptive of a crash, how about real world advice on what works and what does not if you crash.

I had an off when the front wheel went away from me on mud. I came off my Versys at about 35 mph and it slide for about 30 feet turning back to face the way it was going before it came to rest when it went off the road onto the grassy verge.

I had fitted the Kawasaki engine protectors and it worn away as it slid taking about 1cm off the end of it. There were slight scratches to the radiator cowl. The Kawasaki (Givi) pannier was scratched but held fine. There were very minor scratches to the wing mirror end, indicator and bottom of the fork and brake.

The main damage was the hand guard bent and broke the end off the brake lever and snapped off at the bit that fit onto the handle bar. That in turn hit the screen and snapped it down the middle.

The other scratches have had a gentle sand and touch up with paint and I have fitted axle sliders. Most impressive was how well the pannier held. Least was the hand guard snapping and breaking the screen. The Kawasaki engine protector worked well but I suspect that crash bars would have worked better because they would not have worn away causing the cowl to get scratched. But they saved actual damage to the engine.

Where did you purchase your Kawasaki Engine Protectors? How difficult were they to install? Did you like putting your feet on them? Thank you for the feed back!

( RIDE FREE BE SAFE )
post #8 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-14-2013, 03:27 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTS View Post
Where did you purchase your Kawasaki Engine Protectors? How difficult were they to install? Did you like putting your feet on them? Thank you for the feed back!

Not sure if thier the same. But alittle pricey. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Kawasaki-Ver...e20871&vxp=mtr

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

Mike Tyson

post #9 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-14-2013, 03:59 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
I got them from the Kawasaki accessory catalogue and they were fitted for me when I bought the bike. They are too short to rest my feet on them.
post #10 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-14-2013, 04:03 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Not sure if thier the same. But alittle pricey. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Kawasaki-Ver...e20871&vxp=mtr
Thats them. In the UK they are 168 or $252, or 80 for one. The cheapest crash bars are about 100, so they are expensive.

I should add I did not pay full price for them and they were part of the sale of the bike with various extras.

Last edited by Throttled; 03-14-2013 at 04:11 PM.
post #11 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-14-2013, 04:28 PM

Quote:

The scratches on the cowl have been covered with the same stuff

Just paint your radiator cowls with black plasti-dip it will cost you about 15$ for a can. Just make sure you read the instructions and apply it thick.

Last edited by Kawa007; 03-14-2013 at 07:50 PM.
post #12 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-14-2013, 05:03 PM

No pix but I can describe the carnage after I hit gravel in a right hand corner (at about 50 kph). The bike must have high sided because all the damage was to the left side. I flew through the air and landed flat on my chest - no injuries, except for aching all over. V35 pannier was destroyed, swingarm spool snapped off, footpeg broken in half, mirror broken and handlebars bent beyond repair, rash on the plastics and a little bit down below the front axle. I don't have crash bars on the bike, so all in all I'm pretty impressed with how it took the fall. A passerby helped me get it out of the ditch and I was able to ride the bike home. It wasn't a fun experience, but there certainly was some learning that happened as a result.
post #13 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-14-2013, 08:24 PM
MTS

Quote:
Quote:
Thats them. In the UK they are 168 or $252, or 80 for one. The cheapest crash bars are about 100, so they are expensive.

I should add I did not pay full price for them and they were part of the sale of the bike with various extras.
Holy moly! They are nice but wow! I'll have to think on that! Thanks for the feed back!

( RIDE FREE BE SAFE )
post #14 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-14-2013, 08:53 PM

Garage
Quote:
Holy moly! They are nice but wow! I'll have to think on that! Thanks for the feed back!

You might look aat these.......http://t-rex-racing.com/catalog.php?item=164

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

Mike Tyson

post #15 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-14-2013, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mt. Versuvius View Post
No pix but I can describe the carnage after I hit gravel in a right hand corner (at about 50 kph). The bike must have high sided because all the damage was to the left side. I flew through the air and landed flat on my chest - no injuries, except for aching all over. V35 pannier was destroyed, swingarm spool snapped off, footpeg broken in half, mirror broken and handlebars bent beyond repair, rash on the plastics and a little bit down below the front axle. I don't have crash bars on the bike, so all in all I'm pretty impressed with how it took the fall. A passerby helped me get it out of the ditch and I was able to ride the bike home. It wasn't a fun experience, but there certainly was some learning that happened as a result.
Ouch! Glad to hear you weren't seriously hurt by that.

Dave

Dave C
2008 Versys (Red)
post #16 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-15-2013, 05:56 AM

Thanks Dave. Any illusions of invincibility left over from my teenage years crashed with me that day. I was very fortunate nobody was coming in the opposite lane because, except for the gravel, the whole event occurred in that lane (Meech Lake Road, in Gatineau Park).
post #17 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-15-2013, 10:22 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mt. Versuvius View Post
How did the pannier frame hold up?

It sounds like the handlebars and pannier took the main force. Like you I got straight back on and rode a short distance, but was in pain and shock, so ended up being recovered as I was about 100 miles from home.
post #18 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-15-2013, 10:40 AM Thread Starter

This video shows a low speed spill

With panniers it did not stop the foot peg from breaking off. No engine bars so bad rash on the fairing. The wing mirror appears to have spun on its bolt and broken the screen.

My mirror has Speedy's extender, so is more vulnerable. This video shows how effective SW Motech crash bars are

post #19 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-15-2013, 11:17 AM

Garage
Quote:
This video shows a low speed spill

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fntH8...yer_detailpage

With panniers it did not stop the foot peg from breaking off. No engine bars so bad rash on the fairing. The wing mirror appears to have spun on its bolt and broken the screen.

My mirror has Speedy's extender, so is more vulnerable. This video shows how effective SW Motech crash bars are

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7bEDV...yer_detailpage
Seems like twisted throttle do this on purpose ...

LOP
post #20 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-15-2013, 01:25 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
I 'low-sided' at somewhere around 20 mph a few years ago when I changed my line in a hairpin corner and discovered that the yellow lines WEREN'T painted, but some kind of plastic. (I was riding rather 'enthusiastically'....)

With H-B crash bars and Zeta handguards, the ONLY bike damage was a scrape on the left Zeta ('repaired' with a bit of filing and a piece of reflective tape), a small scratch on the left H-B ('repaired' with about 3" of electricians tape), a VERY small scrape on the lowest part of the engine cover, and a bent shift lever. I, on the other hand, broke a couple of ribs, so got to remember the sliding along the road for a few weeks.... I was ATGATT so that certainly minimized my injuries.

The only pics I took were after the repairs had been 'stuck' onto the parts....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC05404.jpg (50.4 KB, 85 views)
File Type: jpg DSC05405.jpg (47.2 KB, 91 views)

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode