ART(Advanced Rider Tactics) - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-10-2009, 01:57 PM Thread Starter

ART(Advanced Rider Tactics)

There's a place up here near Lansing (MI) called Alpha Training Center that offers a course called Advanced Rider Tactics. The course is a one day deal taught on a range by motor cops. Anybody ever take training like that? Is it worth my time? What about an advanced MSF class here in Michigan? I'm already going stir crazy--it's snowing like mad here now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-10-2009, 02:30 PM

You can never get enough training... and any kind of advanced course will be helpful in the long run...
and... no snow here!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by amir_zwara; 01-10-2009 at 02:34 PM.
post #3 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-10-2009, 02:31 PM

I haven't taken an advanced skills course yet but I will this year. I've taken the basic course and a course on handling traffic, road conditions and group riding. After learning group riding I really think twice about hopping on my bike and riding with a bunch of fighter pilots.

I can relate to the mid-winter blues...

post #4 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-10-2009, 03:21 PM

I agree with amir, you can never get enough training/practice. Skill is the one "mod" you can use on every motorcycle you own, or will own.

Don
"ride more, worry less"
2005 Suzuki GSXR1000 (slightly bent) - Track
2000 Honda VFR800 - Street
post #5 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-11-2009, 07:22 AM

Does this course have a web site? I'd be interested in looking at the details. We don't have crap around here for advanced training like that. My friend in Chicago has attended Street Riders Technical Training and said it was worth attending and she's attended twice.

I'm always looking for more training. Around here the Advanced MSF course was basically the basic course but done on the road. We started the morning off by re-doing the basic course in a parking lot, the very one we needed to get our M2 license (graduated licensing) and then we practiced some skills on the college roadways and finally taking it to the road. Finished the day off with taking a road test and we were done. The program taught the test and I really didn't learn anything new.

I asked my instructors about advanced training and they just kind of laughed and said I was one in a million. As most riders just want the license and don't care about training.

I'm originally from Grand Rapids, Michigan. Just had a visit home over the holdiays - what a nightmare drive I had coming home. A fog bank that stretched from Grand Rapids to Hamilton, Ontario. I can't wait for this winter to be over and get my bike back out. Hold on fastgrandpa - only three months to go!
post #6 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-11-2009, 08:17 AM

Good read...

Don't now how widely know it is, but I found a book at the library titled "Proficient Motorcycling" by David Hough (pronounced huff). It contains so much information that it might advance a rider of just about any level of experience, knowledge-wise. Bought my own copy before it was due back at the library.
Of course plenty of practicing the various riding skills (some require a buddy), and having an experienced MC instructor who can notice our shortcomings before they become habits, are real important too...
There must be such instructors out there, maybe a list could be started if it isn't already...

No place like the right time.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 Red Versys, 48k miles.
post #7 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-11-2009, 08:39 AM

I read Hough's book, and I'm already signed up for the MSF experienced rider course at a Harley dealer in March. I gotta pray for good weather that Saturday. If you search the internet, you may find something. I'm glad I signed up in November, I bet the class fills.

Snow falling here, too, but I did get out for a ride a couple weeks ago.

Chuck
2008 Kawasaki Versys
New rider (Sep. '08)
post #8 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-11-2009, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddleman View Post
Don't now how widely know it is, but I found a book at the library titled "Proficient Motorcycling" by David Hough (pronounced huff). It contains so much information that it might advance a rider of just about any level of experience, knowledge-wise. Bought my own copy before it was due back at the library.
Of course plenty of practicing the various riding skills (some require a buddy), and having an experienced MC instructor who can notice our shortcomings before they become habits, are real important too...
There must be such instructors out there, maybe a list could be started if it isn't already...
Very widely known - Hough is a god in the motorcycle safety pantheon. If you want to stay safe and know what will get you out there - read Hough. He's also got two other books that are also just as good. I read them before I start each season - gets my head back in the ride.
post #9 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-11-2009, 12:31 PM Thread Starter

Here is the training center's website: www.alphatrainingcenter.com. I'd like to be able to say that I understand what I'm doing rather than just doing it. I will definitely check out the book by Hough.
post #10 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-11-2009, 01:12 PM

Proficient Irony

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ocean View Post
I asked my instructors about advanced training and they just kind of laughed and said I was one in a million. As most riders just want the license and don't care about training.
Ain't that the truth?

I'm looking forward to taking the Sport Riders
Course to be offered monthly here for soldiers
returning to buy sport bikes. Should be fun.

The above is funny because I just had to order
something else to get free shipping on the Pure
One oil filters from Amazon. Couldn't find anything
for half an hour I needed so ended up ordering,
you guessed it, "Proficient Motorcycling"

Since the advent of the internet I don't read
books as much but I'll have to make an exception
for Hough's tome. Finally got a Round Tuit!
post #11 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-11-2009, 04:43 PM

Round Tuits

Round Tuits rock.

post #12 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-11-2009, 04:47 PM

Round Tuits

Quote:
Originally Posted by AvaChava View Post
Finally got a Round Tuit!
Round Tuits Rock!

post #13 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-11-2009, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastgrandpa View Post
Here is the training center's website: www.alphatrainingcenter.com. I'd like to be able to say that I understand what I'm doing rather than just doing it. I will definitely check out the book by Hough.
Get a load of those photos. They're wearing skid lids and street clothes. I would keep shopping for someone who takes safety seriously if I was you.
post #14 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-11-2009, 06:28 PM
Super Moderator

Big Charly, they're riding in a parking lot at less than 20 mph. How much armor do you need?

post #15 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-11-2009, 06:37 PM

Not around here. They won't even let you take the beginners class dressed like that.
post #16 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-11-2009, 06:40 PM

MSF MC rider course garb

Quote:
Originally Posted by charly View Post
wearing skid lids and street clothes
It looks as though the folks are all wearing the MSF required garb. Note the advanced class are wearing proper jackets, while the beginner group do look to have sturdy shoes(supposed to cover the ankle?), helmets, long sleeves, and gloves. It does seem the beginning class involves fairly slow speeds, some say the advanced class does too...There are links to reviews of MSF course experiences (they are NOT all the same) and commentary by MSF instructors but I'd need time to find and post them. Take a google at it...

post #17 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-11-2009, 06:48 PM

Cool Under the watchful eye

It does seem that MC skill courses have the distinct potential to have one's skills/habits scrutinized by someone experienced in doing so... that could be considered part of the value received for one's money no matter what knowledge is gained...

post #18 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-11-2009, 07:07 PM

A potential opportunity and a caution

MC skill classes do also provide the opportunity to practice observing other's skills. Maybe learn something new...Maybe feel too proud of our own skills....

post #19 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-11-2009, 07:39 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by charly View Post
Not around here. They won't even let you take the beginners class dressed like that.
I'm curious to where "around here" is. Are you in the states? I'm also curious as to the requirements of the school you attended. I've been to 2 different MSF courses over the years & their requirements haven't changed. This is a quote from the site linked above:

Quote:
What do I need for class?

You need a helmet (we have a very limited supply of helmets on hand - call to reserve a helmet), protective eyewear, full-fingered leather gloves, protective clothing (covering arms and legs that are reasonably form fitting, no baggy pants), and sturdy footwear that covers the ankle. You should dress for the weather and be prepared for inclement conditions. Training is held rain or shine.

Seems reasonable to me. These are the same requirements for both the classes I've attended. It's also the same for being able to ride a bike on a military base. Of course, the military can't be out done, so they added a "upper outer garment needs to be a contrasting color during the day & reflective at night" clause.

post #20 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-11-2009, 10:25 PM

Garage
Send a message via MSN to ZaethDekar
Last year I took a MSF class and it was bascially just stiff clothing. I wore a full carharts suit, plus my riding boots, and helmet + gloves.

However the advanced class you have to wear a full suit and have either a year experience or 4500 miles under your belt.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode