Anybody ever painted or wrapped their headers? - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-12-2013, 10:39 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Question Anybody ever painted or wrapped their headers?

Looked at my headers today and they look awful, discolored and just ugly, I plan to clean them tomorrow but I saw on another forum somebody Rustoleum'd their headers with high heat (1200F) paint. I know Rustoleum also makes a 2000F automotive paint.

Well it seems like a inexpensive alternative to wrapping the headers or having them shipped off to get powder coated... Has anybody done it the paint method successfully? Just kind of curious if it works!

Thanks ahead of time!

Rick

Bikes:
65cc Benelli Dynamo
Yamaha ttr-125
Kawasaki KX-125
Yamaha Yz426-f (current)
2010 Kawasaki Versys! (very current and loving it!)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-13-2013, 12:30 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Paint won't stick well to the stainless stel exhaust manifold (header)... Header wrap raises header operating temperature and may accelerate inner errosion, as well as make it more brittle.

http://www.kawiforums.com/ninja-650r...p-project.html

http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...ad.php?t=16152
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-13-2013, 10:10 AM

If you want nice looking headers Davy F is the person to ask! I don't remember if this is his original or new V but check out the pipes here....

http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...ad.php?t=21906

Ride To Live, Live To Ride....no, really!

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-13-2013, 11:17 AM

Ceramic coating is the way to go, but still it can chip a bit on headers where the wheel throws little rocks at it all day...

Had them done on my FZ8, for the complete line it cost me about 300$.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-13-2013, 01:10 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kawa007 View Post
Ceramic coating is the way to go, but still it can chip a bit on headers where the wheel throws little rocks at it all day...

Had them done on my FZ8, for the complete line it cost me about 300$.
That looks great, can you get that done at a detailing/paint shop or do you have to go to a specialized place? I know a guy who does detailing with a paint booth, maybe i'll give him a call.

Bikes:
65cc Benelli Dynamo
Yamaha ttr-125
Kawasaki KX-125
Yamaha Yz426-f (current)
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-13-2013, 01:16 PM

Usually it's shops that do powder coating and ceramic coating. Shouldnt be too hard to find.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-13-2013, 01:26 PM Thread Starter

I'll have to give him a call, or just stop by (shop is 5 minutes from me) and see what it would cost, that black would look much better on my black '10 than the discolored gold tint that's formed on my headers now... Need to get my CS-One done too, the under can rusted after 1 season

Bikes:
65cc Benelli Dynamo
Yamaha ttr-125
Kawasaki KX-125
Yamaha Yz426-f (current)
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-13-2013, 03:03 PM

You can also buy some ceramic coating for about 15-20$ a can...but you need to bake it in your oven after...wife might not appreciate the fumes hehe
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-14-2013, 11:18 AM

Quick google search, here you go:

http://www.jet-hot.com/ Mail order

http://swaintech.com/ Seems close to Rochester

Had mine done locally. Very small chips here and there but looks much better IMO.

Last edited by Hoop71; 03-14-2013 at 11:20 AM.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-14-2013, 12:32 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoop71 View Post
Quick google search, here you go:

http://www.jet-hot.com/ Mail order

http://swaintech.com/ Seems close to Rochester

Had mine done locally. Very small chips here and there but looks much better IMO.

Awesome looking bike! Thanks for the links, I actually drive by Swaintech every day, just never knew what they did

Bikes:
65cc Benelli Dynamo
Yamaha ttr-125
Kawasaki KX-125
Yamaha Yz426-f (current)
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-14-2013, 02:10 PM

Ceramic all the way. I put a Two Brothers full system on my Honda Hawk some 20yrs ago now. I paid the extra to have the ceramic coated pipes. Money well spent. Part of the advertising for the ceramic coating was the added performance in flow as the coating kept the pipes temp consistant. Not sure if the performance part worked, but they are easy to clean and still look great.
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-14-2013, 04:30 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by dxhFZ View Post
Looked at my headers today and they look awful, discolored and just ugly, I plan to clean them tomorrow but I saw on another forum somebody Rustoleum'd their headers with high heat (1200F) paint. I know Rustoleum also makes a 2000F automotive paint.

Well it seems like a inexpensive alternative to wrapping the headers or having them shipped off to get powder coated... Has anybody done it the paint method successfully? Just kind of curious if it works!

Thanks ahead of time!

Rick
I previously had a bike with steel headers that had to painted to prevent rust. You need really high heat header primer then paint and must cure these in the oven according to directions on can. Don't do this with stainless steel headers like the Versys has, instead clean with metal polish. Paint comes off after a while and has to be maintained. Paint also goes flat and looks terrible after a few times reaching operating temperatures.
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-14-2013, 05:27 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheels View Post
I previously had a bike with steel headers that had to painted to prevent rust. You need really high heat header primer then paint and must cure these in the oven according to directions on can. Don't do this with stainless steel headers like the Versys has, instead clean with metal polish. Paint comes off after a while and has to be maintained. Paint also goes flat and looks terrible after a few times reaching operating temperatures.
Think i'm going to go the ceramic route. Not the first time i've heard that paint isnt great for SS. I did actually clean up my headers with metal polish yesterday. It looks weird, they were kind of that pale gold color ever since I bought the bike, now they looks shiny showroom fresh! Still looks weird to me though

Bikes:
65cc Benelli Dynamo
Yamaha ttr-125
Kawasaki KX-125
Yamaha Yz426-f (current)
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-27-2014, 09:57 AM
guy

I've just ceramic coated mine. After a 1000km road trip look good, except for where i must have gone over wet paint. Marks all over the front end, and i see on the plastics too.
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-27-2014, 04:01 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dxhFZ View Post
Think i'm going to go the ceramic route. Not the first time i've heard that paint isnt great for SS. I did actually clean up my headers with metal polish yesterday. It looks weird, they were kind of that pale gold color ever since I bought the bike, now they looks shiny showroom fresh! Still looks weird to me though
Back "in-the-day" (the '60s, w/ cafe racers being IN), the cool deal was to put SS pipes on SO they would turn that lovely gold color, showing everyone else how cool YOU were!!! Especially the Alf Hagon pipes on Triumphs, that came back at a 45 degree angle, JUST like the road race guys...!

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #16 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-27-2014, 11:34 PM

Nothing like a chrome pipe with that blue tinge at the cylinder head clamp. Triumphs and Nortons. Lovely.
post #17 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-29-2014, 06:22 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwitourer View Post
Nothing like a chrome pipe with that blue tinge at the cylinder head clamp. Triumphs and Nortons. Lovely.
Except the blue turns to black and is not quite so lovely. I've owned two Nortons so I speak from experience.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode