Versys Center Stand - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-04-2009, 07:02 PM Thread Starter

Versys Center Stand

Well after working for about a month, I think I've come up with a center stand for the Versys. I've got it on my Versys now working out the kinks but it looks like a winner and I'll keep everyone posted. When it's ready I think it's going to be in the $175.00 price range and worth every penny. It simply bolts on with two bolts using existing Versys hardware and is very, very easy to get up. There is no need to remove your side stand. I'll be posting updates as the final design is finished. Here's a picture of the prototype and is by no means a finished products. Just to give you an idea. Anyone interested in possibly getting one needs to send me their name, email and phone number as I am starting a list. Get on the list early as I suspect there will be a rush. Email your information to me at [email protected]

'09 Versys -Green

TET'68 Survivor

Last edited by dallasdon; 02-06-2009 at 08:28 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-04-2009, 07:26 PM

Where do you find the time to work on all your projects? You are simply amazing! I've had no time to do improvements as there are always other things cropping up, kids cars,my car(had a front wheel bearing detonate on my GA new years eve). How about some pics even if the design isn't finished yet. Keep up the fabulus work!
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-04-2009, 07:33 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to Steve08
Yeah, no disrespect intended, but without some sort of photo opportunity, no price or description means much. You want to take orders on something no one has seen. Make us feel warm and fuzzy with an extensive photo layout.

- Steve

08 VerSys - Last Bike Standing
96 Road King - Gone!
75 R60/6 - Gone!

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-04-2009, 07:56 PM

Thumbs up

I was just about to pull the trigger on f/b T-Rex stands... Now I can kill 2 birdies with one check...The other birdie being that crappy kickstand. My name and info are on the way....Great job

If I new what I was doing, I wouldn't still be working
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-05-2009, 07:18 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve08 View Post
Yeah, no disrespect intended, but without some sort of photo opportunity, no price or description means much. You want to take orders on something no one has seen. Make us feel warm and fuzzy with an extensive photo layout.
No disrespect at all my friend. I will be posting pictures soon and I am not taking orders yet. I'm just letting folks know that something that's truly needed is on the horizon. It has been very difficult to design the way the bike is built. The only thing I have for pictures right now are the ones of the prototype and it ain't pretty! A lot of cutting , welding and grinding makes for a pretty ugly site. When I have something close to a finished product, I'll post the pics.

Anyway, here's a pic of the unfinished prototype to give you an idea.

'09 Versys -Green

TET'68 Survivor

Last edited by dallasdon; 05-26-2010 at 05:13 PM.
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-05-2009, 07:50 AM

I'm in !
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-05-2009, 07:58 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arnott_exZX7 View Post
Where do you find the time to work on all your projects? You are simply amazing! I've had no time to do improvements as there are always other things cropping up, kids cars,my car(had a front wheel bearing detonate on my GA new years eve). How about some pics even if the design isn't finished yet. Keep up the fabulus work!
In answer to your question, I am retired and now have the time to do these kind of things. I fully understand how it is with a family and all and having no time for this kind of nonsense. Been there and done that. I've posted some pictures of the prototype in my previous message. Take care my friend.

Don

'09 Versys -Green

TET'68 Survivor
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-05-2009, 09:20 AM

Send a message via Skype™ to Steve08
Thanks for the pic, mate! I re-iterate - there was no disrespect intended. Its hard to type in a tone of voice or my dumb facial expressions. I do a lot of industrial construction (electrician) so prototypes are just a way of life for me. What you've got going there looks good to me. And I, like the others, do appreciate your work and willingness to share that effort!

- Steve

08 VerSys - Last Bike Standing
96 Road King - Gone!
75 R60/6 - Gone!
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-05-2009, 09:57 AM

Looks like a good product in the making. Sign me up when they're ready.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

[SIZE="1"]Ride. Good.

2003 ST1300ABS
2008 Versys
IBA 59868
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-05-2009, 10:51 AM Thread Starter

Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by josh View Post
I'm in !
Josh, if you will send me your name,phone number and email address I will put you in the database to be contacted when the stand becomes available.

Thanks
Don Stout
[email protected]

'09 Versys -Green

TET'68 Survivor
post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-05-2009, 10:55 AM

Hey Don! Thanks for the reply, thought you might be living the good life LOL I've got a max of 15 more years as a slave before I can relax. Most evenings are full with training/teaching martial arts so I can't get around to fabricating stuff for the bike, once you get your design polished you might be able to subcontract it out and make a few bucks to supplement retirement. This stand will probably fit any of the Kawi's with the same frame? I see a whole new career opening up for you if you want to go beyond a hobby! A void needs to be filled, keep the ideas coming!
post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-05-2009, 12:01 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to hellcatz
Hey Don,

Love the idea on the prototype, but I need to ask something...

I've read (on here mostly) about some people's footpeg brackets breaking with seemingly not a whole lot of force. Obviously, it's when the bike gets laid down, but still...

How does the center stand and it's mounting to the bike hold up against the 400+ lbs weight of the bike (not to mention farkle, bags, etc)?

Great job!
Nate
post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-05-2009, 12:35 PM

Hey Don,

great looking prototype. This might just be what a lot of people where looking for. Sign me up for the final product when completed. I hope you will be shipping to Canada!
post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-05-2009, 12:47 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellcatz View Post
Hey Don,

Love the idea on the prototype, but I need to ask something...

I've read (on here mostly) about some people's footpeg brackets breaking with seemingly not a whole lot of force. Obviously, it's when the bike gets laid down, but still...

How does the center stand and it's mounting to the bike hold up against the 400+ lbs weight of the bike (not to mention farkle, bags, etc)?

Great job!
Nate
Actually there is not as much weight put on the footpegs as you might imagine as a lot of the weight is supported by the front wheel. If the footpegs can stand up to a 250 lb person, the center stand weight shouldn't be a problem. If however you drop the bike and break the foot pegs, there is nothing that can be done about that except to possibly recommend a good riding school or to be more careful. Nothing is perfect in this world.

'09 Versys -Green

TET'68 Survivor
post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-05-2009, 12:50 PM Thread Starter

Ok, I just had an epitheny and started a redesign today. This seems like a never ending project. As soon as one problem is solved, another raises it's ugly head and I have to beat it with a hammer! Just a change for the better.

'09 Versys -Green

TET'68 Survivor
post #16 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-05-2009, 01:38 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to hellcatz
Quote:
Originally Posted by dallasdon View Post
If however you drop the bike and break the foot pegs, there is nothing that can be done about that except to possibly recommend a good riding school or to be more careful. Nothing is perfect in this world.
Seems like my question hit a nerve. Sorry if it did.
No need to get snippy

I haven't had any issues with the bike's foot pegs. I just wanted to make sure.

Again, great job on designing and building!
Nate
post #17 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-05-2009, 01:41 PM

Send a message via MSN to joshmedley
I have to wonder where speedy is at on this thread...Don, you should hook up with him!
post #18 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-05-2009, 05:32 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellcatz View Post
Seems like my question hit a nerve. Sorry if it did.
No need to get snippy

I haven't had any issues with the bike's foot pegs. I just wanted to make sure.

Again, great job on designing and building!
Nate
No, not at all. No nerve hit. Just stating facts. I'm sorry if you took it that way. I did not mean to offend you.

'09 Versys -Green

TET'68 Survivor
post #19 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-05-2009, 06:25 PM

Can't wait to see how this turns out - I could be interested. I am curious to see how it looks with the stand in the up position as that is the view most people would see my bike.
post #20 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-05-2009, 10:11 PM

I'm very interested, even though I've not yet bought a versys ("YET!"). Lack of a centerstand is a personal pet peeve, and the only thing I hate about my TDM. I'm not particularly confident with the wt of the bike on the centerstand held by the passenger pegs, though. Obviously there's not much else under there to hold it. Will be watching to see how this progresses.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode