Versys as a dual sport? - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-31-2008, 07:54 PM Thread Starter
BNE

Talking Versys as a dual sport?

Hi everyone this is my 1st post here.I am interested in the Versys.I am on quite a few other m/c forums.Including ADVRider and ST-Owners and XS11.com to name a few.I currently own a '95 Honda ST1100 and 2 1980s' Yamahas.I am going to sell 2 of these 3 bikes and get into dual sport bikes.I am attracted to the Versys big time...however from what I have gathered thus far the Versys is far from ideal dual sporting machine.many have told me bikes like the KLR 650 or the DL650L or a Suz Wee Strom are better suited for off road use.
Mind you I am looking for an on road bike that can handle off road duties.But nothing of extreme technicality.Ideally class 1 and class 2 roads and be able to deal with water crossings...
So with this in mind what would need to be done to make a Versys fill this role.Aside from the obvious that 17" street tires wont cut it what else needs to be addressed?...or do you all think I'm crazy and should not consider a Versys for he intentions I have stated?Thanks and look forward to being here...BNE as in Bennie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-31-2008, 08:53 PM

Putaspaceafteryourperiodsplease.Thanks!
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-31-2008, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BNE View Post
Hi everyone this is my 1st post here.I am interested in the Versys.I am on quite a few other m/c forums.Including ADVRider and ST-Owners and XS11.com to name a few.I currently own a '95 Honda ST1100 and 2 1980s' Yamahas.I am going to sell 2 of these 3 bikes and get into dual sport bikes.I am attracted to the Versys big time...however from what I have gathered thus far the Versys is far from ideal dual sporting machine.many have told me bikes like the KLR 650 or the DL650L or a Suz Wee Strom are better suited for off road use.
Mind you I am looking for an on road bike that can handle off road duties.But nothing of extreme technicality.Ideally class 1 and class 2 roads and be able to deal with water crossings...
So with this in mind what would need to be done to make a Versys fill this role.Aside from the obvious that 17" street tires wont cut it what else needs to be addressed?...or do you all think I'm crazy and should not consider a Versys for he intentions I have stated?Thanks and look forward to being here...BNE as in Bennie
There are lots of posts here about this topic. The response here will be no different from what you've read on AdvRider.

I don't know what class 1 or class 2 are, but if you're willing to drop a bike, then anything can be ridden almost anywhere. Personally, I think it's silly to call the Versys a dual sport. I'm an experienced off-road rider, and at the risk of seeming immodest, I think I could ride the bike through some fairly nasty stuff. I also think I could ride my Husaberg for hundreds of miles on the interstate. However, there's no way that I would buy either bike if those were my purposes.

Get it. Ride it the way you want. Please be sure to send pics of the bike when you get it in some interesting places.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
2008 Versys...still bonding to the bike.
2005 Husaberg FE450E. I LOVE this one.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
... dirt bike built for my wife.

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-31-2008, 10:01 PM Thread Starter
BNE

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gorilla View Post
Putaspaceafteryourperiodsplease.Thanks!
What are you the grammar police? how 'bout a relevant answer to my questions??? And where in my post are sentences run on?I didnt know this was an English class....

Last edited by BNE; 12-31-2008 at 10:03 PM.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-31-2008, 10:42 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
What are you the grammar police? how 'bout a relevant answer to my questions??? And where in my post are sentences run on?I didnt know this was an English class....
Maybe he's the grammar gorilla...

post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-31-2008, 11:10 PM

I said "please" and "thanks"... WTF more do you want?
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-31-2008, 11:31 PM
Super Moderator

ok, so you're the polite grammar gorilla...

wtf...

Of course, your avatar is a bit intimidating...

post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-31-2008, 11:46 PM Thread Starter
BNE

Ok guys ...Sorry this isnt the way I want to begin here...Hows that for spacing...? I am not totally sure the Versys will handle everything that I want to accomplish in one machine...The whole intent is to be able to ride street and off roads. Off roads can mean anything from wide fire roads or logging roads to more difficult but not extreme off road conditions. So it looks like the Versys is alot like a V-Strom being more street oriented. I'm not impressed with the looks of the V-Strom. I had this notion that if tires suspension and exhaust were upgraded through aftermarket stuff then the Versys would be worthy of going off road beyond just fire/logging roads. So maybe I should be looking at something else...
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-31-2008, 11:55 PM

I think the Versys'd be good for that kinda stuff. I've done it on my Tuono and that bike's definitely not meant for that. I'd consider getting it and putting on some Avon Distanzias, test it, and if it doesn't work, sell it.
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-31-2008, 11:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bear on a bicycle View Post
Of course, your avatar is a bit intimidating...
Babies: the other, other white meat.
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-01-2009, 09:51 AM

Quote:
First, the request about spacing was obviously about making your post easier to read, and thus more likely to get salient responses. Second, if there were grammar police here, then you'd be subject to arrest for more than just spacing. Third, you did get a relevant response from me. Fourth, it's generally poor form to make your first post in a forum one that, with minimal search, you would have noticed has been discussed ad nauseum.

Welcome to the forum, but you might want to lighten up just a bit...Francis.

post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-01-2009, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gorilla View Post
Babies: the other, other white meat.
Succinct, salient, and humorous.

post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-01-2009, 10:24 AM
Super Moderator

With the right tires, a good skid plate & the will, I believe the Versys will go pretty much anywhere a V-strom will go. But you might be happier with the new BMW F800, or something along those lines.

Skid plate:

http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...ght=skid+plate

BMW:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=377088

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=368910

post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-01-2009, 10:36 AM

Here is my opinion:

If you're going to keep a bike that's designed for pavement, there's no sense getting a Versys, which is also designed for pavement. The KLR is a great bike - easy to ride, spoked rims, comfortable, dependable and much better when things get a little gnarly. And they're cheap.

If I could have two bikes, one would definitely be a KLR. I had one, an '08, and was sad to see it go. I wanted something, however, that was a little better on the pavement and the highway.

A water crossing on a Versys? Definitely on yours; never on mine. Chip that cast rim on a rock and you're screwed.

Last edited by charly; 01-01-2009 at 10:44 AM.
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-03-2009, 09:06 AM

I'm with Charly... KLR will do it all... not it any spectacular way, but it's a fun scoot. Versys is a road bike that has enough suspension to cross the median without leaving parts behind... LOL

Oh yeah... make that a pre-08 KLR.. more aftermarket, and fewer parts to replace when it takes a nap!

'08 Versys.. Givi rear rack, JCW trunk and E21's, Givi shield, Madstad bracket, Speedy peg and mirror brackets, lowering kit, SC Seat, R1 Shock.. other stuff. '09 KLX250 setup for singletrack. 2011 Xterra, '80 CJ-7

post #16 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-03-2009, 09:27 AM

Yep, I love KLR's - bulletproof, fun to ride and they look better when they're dirty!! Hmmm....that sounds like some of the women I've dated...
post #17 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-06-2009, 12:16 PM

Yes, you're crazy.

For what you've described, I'd lean more towards a KLR or KTM 990 or similar bike depending on budgetary constraints. If the off road stuff is really limited, then a F800GS might be a consideration. I'd buy a V-strom 650 before a Versys for any dirt road stuff just due to the better tire selection and high mounted exhaust; neither is a real dual sport though.

Cheers,
Dave

2008 Versys, 2008 ZX6R, 2006 EX500, 2002 KLR650
2010 KTM 300XCW, 2007 KTM 200XC, 2006 KTM 200 XC,
2004 CRF250X, 2002 CRF150

Last edited by DPelletier; 01-07-2009 at 11:04 AM.
post #18 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-06-2009, 12:33 PM

Check these guys out

http://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcyc...wasaki-versys/

I think they do a bit of dual sporting on the V
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode