2009 Versys or 2009 Yamaha FZ6? - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-31-2008, 04:36 PM Thread Starter

2009 Versys or 2009 Yamaha FZ6?

Ok folks, Ive owned an 03 FZ1 and an 05 FZ6 and am once again in the market for a new bike. Its down to a new FZ6 or a new Kawasaki Versys? Any advice either way? My current feelings are that the Versys fits me better and has a better powerband, but the FZ6 probably has a better built quality? Are Kawasaki's less reliable? Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-31-2008, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepinoutwest View Post
... Its down to a new FZ6 or a new Kawasaki Versys? Any advice either way?
Not really, other than what you appear to be answering for yourself in your following comments/perceptions.
Quote:
My current feelings are that the Versys fits me better and has a better powerband,
Your call on what fits you, obviously. The powerbands ARE different. The FZ6 is considerably more "busy," with more explosive power and more peak power. The Versys has a broad powerband that requires less shifting and is generally easier to manage. On a performance note, for most of us in most situations, greater manageability equals greater speed.
Quote:
but the FZ6 probably has a better built quality?
I think Kawi's usually have lower levels of fit and finish than the other Japanese brands and all of the established Euro brands. However, the Chinese and Indian companies are still behind them.
Quote:
Are Kawasaki's less reliable?
I doubt it. Don't confuse fit and finish with reliability. There can be an overlap of course, but the most important bits...the ones that whiz and whrrr, seem to be rock solid.

Disclosure...I've owned lots of bikes, including all Japanese brands except Yamaha. Nothing against them, other than they've never made quite what I wanted at the time I wanted. FWIW, in the current dirt bike world, the ONLY Japanese brand I would currently consider is Yamaha, and that is based on reliability issues.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
2008 Versys...still bonding to the bike.
2005 Husaberg FE450E. I LOVE this one.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
... dirt bike built for my wife.
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-31-2008, 07:18 PM
Super Moderator

..and to add my 2 cents, the Versys riding position is a little more upright compared to the FZ6 & it is a little taller, and for me, a lot more comfortable.

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-31-2008, 08:30 PM

What about the new FZ6R? Very Versys-like. Worth a look.
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-31-2008, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Friendlyfocus View Post
What about the new FZ6R? Very Versys-like. Worth a look.
Seems more equivalent to a Ninja 650R than a Versys. Probably a nice scooter, but certainly not a naked bike like the Versys or FZ6R.

Geez, those Yamaha names are confusing. Way too similar to each other.

2008 Versys...still bonding to the bike.
2005 Husaberg FE450E. I LOVE this one.

... dirt bike built for my wife.
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-31-2008, 08:52 PM

Seeing as you've already owned an FZ6, I'd go with the Versys unless you absolutely adored the 6.
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-31-2008, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Satex View Post
Seems more equivalent to a Ninja 650R than a Versys. Probably a nice scooter, but certainly not a naked bike like the Versys or FZ6R.

Geez, those Yamaha names are confusing. Way too similar to each other.
All true, I wasn't very clear in what I was actually thinking. I meant that the new FZ6r seems a lot more Versys-like than the current FZ6, which I've heard is very peaky. I don't believe they are even based on the same platform, they just have similar names.

The new FZ6r gets a standard-type riding position, the under slung exhaust, and features the previous generation R6 motor retuned for more even low and mid range torque. I find it has a lot of similarities to the Versys.

Had it been available when I got the V I definitely think I would have check it out as well, I think it compares favorably with the V, at least on paper. They even cost the same. Plus the four cylinder has got to be a blast to drive.

Not saying I don't love my Versys to death, just wanted to point out the differences in a new model that hasn't gotten a lot of exposure yet, since he seems to be a Yamaha fan and I think it would be a shame if he didn't try one out
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-31-2008, 11:47 PM Thread Starter

the FZ6R being yamaha's most inexpensive scoot is probably aimed at entry/women rider with its cheaper spec brakes, adjustable low seat height, skinnier tires, less HP, adjustable handlebars, and steel frame. My main concern is whether the versys has the quality to last for the long haul?
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-01-2009, 12:01 AM

The Versys's been around for several years in other countries and guys have put on tons of miles. The engine's been around for a while longer in the Ninja 650 and, AFAIK, there aren't any major issues.
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-28-2009, 08:58 PM

Now that the Yammy has discontinued the FZ6 for 2010, let's all pause for a moment of silence. First the Multistrada 620, and now the FZ6. That leaves the Versys and the Wee-Strom to carry the middleweight multi-purpose bike banner here in the US.

'I use my cigar smoke as idiot repellent'

Yeah, that’s a statistic sample size of 1, category “anecdotal evidence”, but there it is.

"You just got killed by a Daewoo Lanos motherfu#&er!!" -Red, from Pineapple Express.
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-29-2009, 07:58 PM

I have a 2004 FZ6 and a 2008 Versys. I bought the V for long distance touring because the FZ6 just wasn't comfortable enough, and just love the bike. This past summer I took two long tours, one from Morgan, UT to Red Lodge, MT over the Beartooth Hwy, and back; the other from Whitefish, MT to Port Angeles, WA, then back to UT the long way, 2300 miles camping out 6 nights. I could never have done that on my FZ6, even with my modified seat. In a nutshell, both bikes love the twisties, with the nod going to the FZ6 due to it sport bike roots. Both bikes like going fast (100 mph plus) with the nod again going to the FZ6. The FZ has the horsepower at the top end (around 9000 RPM) for some real excitement, while the V has more usable torque at lower RPM's, (starting at 4000 RPM ) but not the power surge of the FZ. Both rides are very enjoyable, just different. For long days in the saddle, the V wins hands down due to a more comfortable seat, upright riding position, and wider bars. Both bikes give me about the same mileage when ridden the same way, 40 to 45 MPG when ridden really hard, and 50 to as much as 60 MPG on long 50 to 65 mile mph stretches of country roads.
So, I guess there is no clear cut answer to your question. It really depends on your riding style, where and on what type of roads you ride on, and the average length of your rides. I like both bikes enough that I'm keeping them both. But, if I had to choose only one, I prefer the V as it is almost as much fun in the twisties, but is a much better touring bike. Also, if you plan on some dual sport riding, the V can be readily accessorized to handle the job as good as the smaller G series Beemers, while the FZ6 can't. The upright riding and peg position on the V lends itself to stand-up riding, (feels like riding a dirt bike). I ride the dirt also. I tried a bit on my FZ and immediately turned around. With a bash plate, street legal knobbies, and perhaps a smaller rear sprocket, the Versys will handle everything a Beemer dual sport will. Hope this helps you make a decision. Good luck.

Last edited by toegeo; 11-29-2009 at 08:01 PM.
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-01-2009, 03:45 AM

Hi there,

Just let you know that Yamaha quality has not been good lately...

I used to own a 07 Yamaha FZ1, I have the bike for over 3 months and put almost 6000 miles on it... Guess what? The frame crack for no reason what so ever... Yamaha refuse to give me a new replacement bike and only want to replace the frame and move everything over... I waited for a month... No frame and don't know when they are going to get the frame... I was so upset!!! I just trade the bike in for another bike and loss a bunch of $$$...

My friend has a 08 Yamaha R1 for over a year, and 8000+ miles... His Engine just broke when he was riding... Piston/valves/ crankshaft broke. Yamaha will not do anything for him, he has to spend over $4000 for the repair bill...

Another friend of mine, can't remember it was 08 or 09 Yamaha R1, his transmission is screwed up... Currently dealing with Yamaha with the warranty, don't know how that come out.

I will never buy a Yamaha after what I had experienced... Your money, your bike, your choice.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Current bike
09 Kawasaki Versys

Previous bikes
07 Suzuki GSXR 1000
07 Yamaha FZ1
06 Harley Davidson Softail Deuce
06 BMW K1200 GT
05 Suzuki Vstrom 650
01 Yamaha Vstar 650
90 Yamaha FZR 600
7x Yamaha Enduro 125
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-01-2009, 06:23 AM

Fz8

You might want to hold on for a few weeks. Yamaha has a new FX8 coming out. Check it out on www.motorcycledaily.com.

Mr. Pete----->
aging hippie
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-01-2009, 10:20 AM

OK;

1) A Versys vs. an FZ6 is an odd pairing of potential rides; the Versys is a light adventure/sport touring/commuter bike, the FZ6 is a true sportbike albeit closer to a 5-10 year old technology compared to the latest and greatest (like a new ZX6R). A better comparison would be the FZ6r, but that more easily compares to a Ninja 650R.....

2) All Japanese bikes are equivalent IMO and I've owned them all. The Honda has a slight edge in fit and finish and the argument could be made that Kawi trails in that regard, but it really is close enough not to worry about. Reliability is a separate issue and Kawi is as good as any of the Japanese brands, all of which are on par or better than the european stuff.....I won't even comment on Chinese garbage. Bottom line: don't let any reliability concerns prevent you from buying a Versys.

Based on what you've said, I'd suggest buying the Versys, but they really are two totally different bikes.......decide what kind of bike you want and what kind of riding you plan on doing and go from there.

2 pennies,
Dave

2008 Versys, 2008 ZX6R, 2006 EX500, 2002 KLR650
2010 KTM 300XCW, 2007 KTM 200XC, 2006 KTM 200 XC,
2004 CRF250X, 2002 CRF150
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-01-2009, 10:53 AM

Report today on motorcycledaily.com that the new FZ8 is coming soon???
OOPS, see I am late; oh well, not the first time????
post #16 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-02-2009, 04:22 PM

i think the versys and the FZ6 are great to compare. the thing is that the FZ6 is faster and more sporty that is for sure but they both can have full bags and can pound out the miles. the FZ6 is going to be more leaned over than the versys but not too much like a R6 would be for touring. the versys as the advantage i think when it comes to personalizing it as the aftermarket has done nuts with it. i maybe wrong on this but the FZ6 has a more limited aftermarker support.

Honestly i think you will probably be happier with the FZ6 because of the power. i think you might find a the versys a bit lacking in that department. granted it has great pull and is very hard to stall, but the high end is lacking. one note I think the versys will be a better traffic bike because of that i just said.

Note: I have not owned to ridden a FZ6 but given the idea and background of the motorcycle I feel the above it true. I have owned my versys for just about a year and I have ridden the crap out of it.

2008 versys red with full luggage

"when in doubt ghetto it out"

post #17 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-02-2009, 04:55 PM

I like the ZF6 alot and DPellet's opinion is idenical to mine. As for the FZ8? Does anyone know when it will be released? All I can find are teaser photos without a release date. I've called 2 Yammy dealers and they weren't even aware the FZ6 was discontinued! They knew nothing of the FZ8. If anyone has any info...please post!

'I use my cigar smoke as idiot repellent'

Yeah, that’s a statistic sample size of 1, category “anecdotal evidence”, but there it is.

"You just got killed by a Daewoo Lanos motherfu#&er!!" -Red, from Pineapple Express.
post #18 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-03-2009, 06:37 AM

One of my riding friends has an FZ6 9 [I think either 07 or 08]. We have swapped bikes on occasion so I have some saddle time on it. The FZ6 has a different feel. It is firmer/tighter feel than my V. It feels more planted and responds to your steering and throttle input more so. The suspension is firmer and there is less brake dive. If the road surfaces you ride on are smooth then the FZ is better suited. The worse the road the V is more suited of the two. The seat is firmer and the ergo’s are leaned more forward. Both of us felt that my Versys is more comfortable for longer saddle times. But keep in mind that this is subjective from person to person. Some actually prefer less weight on their back and more on their wrists. It’s not leaned as far forward as a true sport bike but none the less more so than the V. The engine on the FZ has a much greater top end rush and what to me felt like a comparative mid range. Since you are leaned closer to the w/shield the wind/buffeting is felt less. I think a decision between the two would be based on one’s own personal preferences. For me I like a more upright seating for spending long hours riding so the V better suits me, but that’s me. Test ride them both.
post #19 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-03-2009, 05:43 PM

Reliability is a huge problem in the motorcycle industry. I have paid alot for repairs in the past, so I am very sympathetic to your concerns.

Before purchasing my V, I visited powersportsNetwork.com. You can read hundreds of consumer reviews of bikes on that site. Each review has a star rating of 1-5. I read *every* review of a Ninja 650, Ern-6, or Versys that had less less than five stars. Out of 180 reviews, I only found one person who had had serious engine problems. That analysis and an extended warranty convinced me to roll the dice again on a motorcycle.

I have only owned the V for a few days, so I can't give you personal information on its reliability.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode