TIME CRITICAL NOTICE: Huge Savings on SPOT Locator - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 12-30-2008, 09:50 AM Thread Starter

Exclamation TIME CRITICAL NOTICE: Huge Savings on SPOT Locator

DISCLAIMER: Not affiliated with SPOT or anyone that sells it. Just a guy that found a good deal and wants to tell others how to get the same deal.

Many folks already know about the SPOT locator. For those that don't, it a personal tracking device that tells friends, family and emergency responders exactly where you are - basically a reverse GPS.

Many have debated (elsewhere) the merits of it, or lack thereof. I won't rehash that here, but suffice it to say that it's at least worth considering as an added safety measure when traveling.

The purpose of this post is to alert any who might be wanting one to a few deals going right now that can save you a huge chunk of money.

First of all, SPOT ain't cheap unless you find a deal like what I'm about to tell you about. The unit retails for $149, and the yearly service agreement is $99. That allows you to send various pre-written messages to alert folks of your status and GPS coordinates. For an extra $49 you can get semi-real-time tracking where your position is logged every 10 minutes and folks can check your progress on a secure website. Lastly, for an extra $8 you get extraction insurance that will pay for the helicopters and rescue personnel if they have to pull you out of a canyon somewhere. So you can see that without any discount, you're looking at a little over $300 to get the whole enchilada.

That is out of price range by a long shot.

Luckily, I let my hours of aimless internet time pay off and found 3 deals that have allowed me to get the whole shootin' match for a little under $80 (not a typo).

First, the SPOT folks are offering a $50 mail-in rebate through 1/31/09. Second, a site called "FireEagle" (part of Yahoo!) has a promotion code for a free year of basic + tracking (that saves you $150) right there. Lastly, Sports Authority has the unit offered for $130 instead of $150. Put it all together and you have it all for right around $80 (with free shipping - thank you very much).

Here's the downside. If you're interested, you need to hurry. In order to activate the code for the free service, you have to have you're unit in hand and complete registration by 12/31/08 (yep - that's tomorrow night).

Realistically, at this point you'll need to go to a brick and mortar store to buy it and get it registered ASAP. The SPOT is sold at places like REI, Sports Authority, Dick's Sporting Goods, Cabella's and the like.

I hope this info helps someone. Sorry it's coming so late, but I was waffling on it, and so I just now did the activation. I did not want to recommend it to anyone until I had seen if the free service discount really worked. It does.

I still don't have my $50 rebate. There is an outside chance I won't get it because they say that you have to pay full retail for the unit ($150) in order to qualify. I think I'll be able to get around that since Sports Authority is on of the "authorized distributors".

Anyway, buy at your risk and good luck.

Chris in Oneonta, NY
08 Versys that replaced my beloved 07 KLR650

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

>>>> states on a bike <<<<
>>>> East Coast done <<<<
>>>>> Westward HO! <<<<<
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 12-30-2008, 12:48 PM

If anyone is interested in the SPOT, I bought one last summer and used it in Alaska in August. I had the feature where the system emailed my location to up to ten addresses as we explored 750 miles north to south of AK and traveled over 2500 miles my land and air. It worked flawlessly even from the airplanes we flew in and at any point we were from north of the Brooks Range all of the way down to Katmai NP. When you send an OK message it is received in 15 minutes. The 911 message may be faster.

If we had experienced trouble in some of the places we went, the SPOT would have been our only resource for getting help, i.e no cell phone service. The rescue insurance ($150,000 through Loyds of London) is well worth it. Just my 2-c.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Rafting Small.jpg (151.0 KB, 49 views)
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 12-30-2008, 05:04 PM

Send a message via MSN to joshmedley
I bought a spot before my african adventure in May of 2008. I was hunting in South Africa, and Namibia...after contacting the company, because it showed it would not work in those to regions, they assured me it would. I was literally in the bush for over 21 days and used it to check in with my wife, and parents routinely everyday. I'm a total believer in spot...it's awesome.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode