mouse under my seat - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-29-2008, 02:51 PM Thread Starter

mouse under my seat

I took my bike out Saturday and put a little less than 100 miles on it. Afterwards I washed it as they put salt on the roads here in NE Pa. I then wiped it dry and took the seat off to get the little bit of water under there. To my surprise there's alot of dried up berries next to my tool kit. I keep my bike outside in a storage shed and the only thing I can think of is that a field mice got up in there. I usually start my bike up a couple of times a week and ride it whenever I can in the Winter. When I start it up I usually see a couple run off and out the door. I never thought one would go up by my rear shock and take some berries up by tool box. Probably the bike was warm after riding it one day and one went up there. I usually cover it with an old blanket. I had to take my tool kit out and vacum up the berries, probably about 30 or so.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-29-2008, 04:09 PM

Are you sure those were berries, or the berries that are left after the eaten berries are fully "processed?"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
2008 Versys...still bonding to the bike.
2005 Husaberg FE450E. I LOVE this one.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
... dirt bike built for my wife.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-29-2008, 04:56 PM Thread Starter

They were dried up berries. The tree that has them on it in the Summer is infront of the shed. There's a bunch of the berries on the ground also. I set a couple of mouse traps yesterday and got one. I set it again today. I should have take a picture to post but I didn't.

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-29-2008, 05:10 PM

Send a message via AIM to versysred Send a message via Yahoo to versysred
You may have a friend riding with you LOL.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-29-2008, 05:52 PM Thread Starter

I also have squirrels and a chipmunk around here too. It was probably one them, maybe a mouse. Field mice are the only thing I've ever actually ever seen inside the shed though.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-30-2008, 06:43 AM

I found a fried egg & sausage link under my seat last week.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-30-2008, 07:50 AM

I have a friend with a similar issue in his garage. He has come up with the most diabolical/ingenious mouse trap I have ever seen. He takes a 5 gal. bucket and drills two holes on opposite sides near the top. He then threads a coat hanger through one hole, then through a coffee can then through the other hole. This creates a situation where the coffee can is hanging at the top of the bucket by the coat hanger.

All that is left is to put peanut butter on the outside of the can and to fill the bucket halfway with water. (Add Anti freeze in winter) The mouse will climb the bucket, cross the wire, slip off the coffe can, and drown in the water.

Cruel, yet ruthlessly efficient.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-30-2008, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Briar Rabbit View Post
I have a friend with a similar issue in his garage. He has come up with the most diabolical/ingenious mouse trap I have ever seen. He takes a 5 gal. bucket and drills two holes on opposite sides near the top. He then threads a coat hanger through one hole, then through a coffee can then through the other hole. This creates a situation where the coffee can is hanging at the top of the bucket by the coat hanger.

All that is left is to put peanut butter on the outside of the can and to fill the bucket halfway with water. (Add Anti freeze in winter) The mouse will climb the bucket, cross the wire, slip off the coffe can, and drown in the water.

Cruel, yet ruthlessly efficient.
Let's PRAY members of PETA don't get wind of this or we all pay
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-30-2008, 09:59 PM

Vermin are vermin, have you seen what the chemicals that exterminators use do to the little guys? Most of them make the rodents bleed out internally. There is a trap called the T-rex that damn near cuts a rat in half, I'll bet you could pick up some kind of pheremone based repellant that you could use around the bike. You do not want one of these little pests chewing on the wiring under the seat. Good hunting!
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-31-2008, 11:18 AM

I use Decon in my garage, I had a severe problem for awhile. I tried traps for awhile but the ones that did not get caught ate the ones in the traps. Decon took care of the problem. Just need to be careful if you have cats.
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-31-2008, 03:05 PM

That's funny!! My Versys set up for a week during a cold spell a few weeks back... I pulled the saddle for one reason or another and found a nice little mouse nest built next to the tool pouch. Never had that happen with the KLR... I guess the shape of the Versys must be comforting to the little critters.. or maybe the plastic smells like cheese?

'08 Versys.. Givi rear rack, JCW trunk and E21's, Givi shield, Madstad bracket, Speedy peg and mirror brackets, lowering kit, SC Seat, R1 Shock.. other stuff. '09 KLX250 setup for singletrack. 2011 Xterra, '80 CJ-7

post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-31-2008, 03:13 PM

yeah you can pick up T-Rex traps at most places jut use peanut butter as the bate..

Working to make it my Streetfighter
V
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-01-2009, 08:36 AM Thread Starter

I set a couple of mouse traps in the shed. So far I've got two of them.
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-01-2009, 08:38 AM Thread Starter

I set a couple of mouse traps in the shed. I got one mouse one day and one the next. Both got their neck snapped.
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-05-2009, 05:53 AM

I just went to look under my seat and there was the mouse. He was sitting in a little round treadwheel. There's a rubber belt going down into the motor area. I guess he was waiting for me to hit the starter button, like that little man in the refrigerator who turns the light on.
post #16 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-05-2009, 06:33 AM

Mice were living in my Mini Cooper, chewed up the heater box and other things, and did $3500 worth of damage. Someone told me to spray lemon scented ammonia around the wheel wells. Evidently they can't stand it and will move on.

[SIGPIC]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode