question about givi topbox - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-29-2008, 12:31 PM Thread Starter

question about givi topbox

I am considering getting a givi topbox for my bike, but I am worried it will affect the handling since the load is behind the rear wheel. Can anyone give me some insight to this. Will it also affect wind handling? How easy is it to install?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-29-2008, 12:53 PM

I don't have the Givi top box, but I have an aluminum Trax box, which I believe has a little more capacity. I've not noticed any significant difference in handling even with quite a bit of weight in the box, other than maybe it wheelies a little easier, but not to the point of being scary or anything...you still have to try to wheelie to get it to do it. My top box is rectangular, so one would think it would be more affected by the wind and the Givi, but I've not really noticed a significant difference in that regard either.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-29-2008, 04:28 PM

Send a message via MSN to joshmedley
I have the givi 46v along with the givi v36's. I ride daily with all three bags on. My only dislike, is that I have to mount the bike in an awkward manor. I've rode the bike with and without, and really don't feel a difference...as they are usually full with books, lunch box, and other clothing. I personally like my set up.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg versys3.jpg (5.0 KB, 161 views)
File Type: jpg versys1.jpg (5.6 KB, 196 views)

Last edited by joshmedley; 12-29-2008 at 04:30 PM.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-29-2008, 04:48 PM

I went camping earlier this year with all this crap on the V, including a Givi topbox. No issues at all.

Done a lot of 2 up riding with the Givi and side bags, again no issue. Because there is so little plastic on the V, cross winds etc, don't seem to bother it much-unlike a Goldwing or ST1300 for example.

Machog
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-30-2008, 01:19 AM

You've got two answers for three questions so far. As for the installation? It depends on what back rack you get.

The Kawasaki back rack does not fit with the Kawasaki pannier racks, it's one or the other. Aftermarket racks can be paired, however.

Some people find fitting certain back racks a bit of a trial, but I had no problem with the Kawasaki rack at all. Remove the side plastic bits, four bolts to replace the existing handles with the rack, refit the plastic.

And when you have the back rack fitted you then need to fit a mounting plate to suit the topbox. I found it easier to drill both mounting plate and back rack and use simple bolts instead of the fittings supplied - my topbox is RJays, not Givi. Make sure you mount the plate far enough to the rear so you can still remove the seat.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-30-2008, 07:48 AM

The only real challenge that I have ever heard of with any ot the racks is that the Corbin seat doesn't latch if you have the Givi top case rack. The Corbin seat is larger at the rear than the stock seat. I am not sure if this applies to the Givi side racks or not. The Givi top case rack brackets on either side of the seat interfere with the seat. They work fine with the stock seat or the low gel seat. I can't find anyway to eliminate the brackets if you have the top case.

I emailed Corbin and they said that they were aware of the issue and looking into it, but from what I have heard about their customer service....probably won't happen. Maybe we will be pleasantly surprised.

I have the Givi racks with V35 cases and a E52 top case. I really like the E52 as it holds my backpack and shoes for work...along with assorted stuff that lives in there all of the time. I have three complaints with the Givi cases. The lock kits come with ZERO instructions and after installing them the handle on the E52 won't stay down when the case is locked. The electrical connection for the E52 top case light kit only works some of the time. It doesn't always make a good connection. The retaining straps on the V35 cases aren't mounted very well, but it doesn't really affect their use. Overall I have been very happy with the entire setup.

Steve

I bought a motorcycle because my wife said that I couldn't! Now I have two and she still says I can't have another one!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sounds like a challenge to me!

Now I have four!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-30-2008, 09:16 PM

I have a Corbin seat and the SW Motech top box mounts. I had to modify the seat slightly to get it to fit. The Corbin seat has a loop that fits under the latch of the bike. I inserted 3 or 4 washers under each of the two screws that attach the loop to the underside of the seat, and that lowered the loop just enough to allow the seat to lock. I don't know it the issue with the Givi mounts and the corbin seat are the same, but that's something you may want to try.

I also have a Triumph Sprint with a Corbin seat, and I had a similar issue with the latching mechanism on it, and also fixed it with a couple of well placed washers under one of the latches. For expensive seats, Corbins sure seem to have fitting issues, but I can definitely vouch for the comfort. They're firm, but you learn to appreciate that on long rides.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-31-2008, 07:22 AM

My biggest concern with the Corbin and the Givi racks would be the brackets rubbing on the edge of the seat and cutting a hole in the seat cover.

Steve

I bought a motorcycle because my wife said that I couldn't! Now I have two and she still says I can't have another one!
Sounds like a challenge to me!

Now I have four!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode