Givi Rear Rack - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 46 (permalink) Old 12-28-2008, 06:00 AM Thread Starter

Givi Rear Rack

[/U][/B]Does anyone have the Givi Rear Rack on the V? Seen the other brands and am still looking for some pics and reviews of the Givi Rack!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 46 (permalink) Old 12-28-2008, 06:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlbertaJeff View Post
[/U][/B]Does anyone have the Givi Rear Rack on the V? Seen the other brands and am still looking for some pics and reviews of the Givi Rack!
This is mine. Givi Monorack 5 top plate with a MONOLOCK case E370 (37 lit) that will be replaced soon with Givi E47.

post #3 of 46 (permalink) Old 12-28-2008, 12:29 PM

consider the E52, it wont look too big on your bike and holds the most stuff!

post #4 of 46 (permalink) Old 12-28-2008, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepinoutwest View Post
E52 belongs to Monokey series and the biggest Monolock case is E470.
post #5 of 46 (permalink) Old 12-28-2008, 01:38 PM

Monolock/Monokey

Costas, if you want to switch to Monokey I will have a spare plate I can part with. My Kappa box came with a Monolock plate and my Givi rack (which is currently on backorder) will come with a Monokey plate that I won't need.

Personally, I think the E52 is way too much money for a few extra liters.

Last edited by charly; 12-28-2008 at 01:46 PM.
post #6 of 46 (permalink) Old 12-28-2008, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charly View Post
Costas, if you want to switch to Monokey I will have a spare plate I can part with. My Kappa box came with a Monolock plate and my Givi rack (which is currently on backorder) will come with a Monokey plate that I won't need.

Personally, I think the E52 is way too much money for a few extra liters.
A case like that goes together with its plate and is very cheep in the European Union. In local (internet) market, GIVI E470 is available for less than 120$ including monolock plate and Kappa K46 for 90$ only. Nevertheless, thanks a lot for your suggestion.
post #7 of 46 (permalink) Old 12-28-2008, 03:18 PM

Here an E52 or E55 sells for $400 to $500. That's crazy money for a piece of moulded plastic with a couple of moving parts. I'm sure Givi is laughing all the way to the bank. Recession? What recession?
post #8 of 46 (permalink) Old 12-28-2008, 03:27 PM

E52 & E36 Cases

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepinoutwest View Post
Hey there. I have an E52 and two E36 side cases. It is great. I like the accessory break lights the most.

Live like tomorrow is your last day.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 46 (permalink) Old 12-28-2008, 06:49 PM

Sorry, I wasn't trashing the product. I'm sure they work fine. I'm just amazed at the amount of money they get for them.

Last edited by charly; 12-28-2008 at 07:06 PM.
post #10 of 46 (permalink) Old 01-02-2009, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlbertaJeff View Post
Hi Jeff,

I had a Givi rack, actually I still do. I replaced it with a SW since the Givi broke. It had a fair bit of use before breaking though, so I am not totally dissatisfied with that product.
However, if you look at their design versus other brands, the stress provided by the top box is pulling down on the two rear mounting points. It's those twisted parts that broke on mine, both in the same spot, close to the top. With the other racks, the weight of the top box rests on the rear supports.

PS I passed through Lethbridge this summer, for the Sun Highway, but it was closed...
post #11 of 46 (permalink) Old 01-02-2009, 06:37 PM

I use the E52 with the SW Motech rack. Very sturdy. Travelled cross country with that and a small back pack bungee netted to the seat. No side bags. You pay a little more for the case (about $260) but when you need a couple of extra litres you have them. And you will need them. No side bags mind you. Don't bother with the E47, the 52 will take 2 full face helmets. The 47, only one.
post #12 of 46 (permalink) Old 01-02-2009, 08:10 PM

What does the top case rack look like without the top case on it? A photo would be appreciated. TY

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

[SIZE="1"]Ride. Good.

2003 ST1300ABS
2008 Versys
IBA 59868
post #13 of 46 (permalink) Old 01-02-2009, 08:13 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to hellcatz
Quote:
Originally Posted by blipco View Post
I use the E52 with the SW Motech rack. Very sturdy. Travelled cross country with that and a small back pack bungee netted to the seat. No side bags. You pay a little more for the case (about $260) but when you need a couple of extra litres you have them. And you will need them. No side bags mind you. Don't bother with the E47, the 52 will take 2 full face helmets. The 47, only one.
Do you need some kind of mounting bracket between the SW rack and the E52?

If so, does that come from Givi with the case?
If not, does it lock in place ok on the rack (with the Monokey)?

Thanks,
Nate
post #14 of 46 (permalink) Old 01-02-2009, 10:35 PM

Here are some pics of the E52 and V35 cases on the Givi racks. I added some black reflective tape to the back of the V35 cases. I took this with a flash so they aren't great.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1660.jpg (304.7 KB, 378 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1661.jpg (369.8 KB, 244 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1662.jpg (433.4 KB, 217 views)

Steve

I bought a motorcycle because my wife said that I couldn't! Now I have two and she still says I can't have another one!
Sounds like a challenge to me!

Now I have four!

post #15 of 46 (permalink) Old 01-03-2009, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellcatz View Post
Do you need some kind of mounting bracket between the SW rack and the E52?

If so, does that come from Givi with the case?
If not, does it lock in place ok on the rack (with the Monokey)?

Thanks,
Nate
Yes, there is an adaptor plate which uses three bayonet twist locks which mounts in 10 seconds by using a quarter as a screwdriver. The nice part is, when you're not using the case, the rack has a nice look which fit the lines of the bike. Plus you can modify the plate to also mount other brands of boxes or soft bags or even a basket. It all goes away when you take the plate off. Plus if you feel you need for the side cases later on you can buy the pieces and add them to the rack. Very flexible system. Go to twistedthrottle.com to see your options. I wouldn't mess around with anything smaller than the E52. Or, you can buy the rack and plate and search e-bay for the box. The plate comes from SW Motech / twistedthrottle and will mount either the monokey or monolock. Or Hepco/Becker.
post #16 of 46 (permalink) Old 01-03-2009, 02:15 PM

Bornrider, since you have the optional Givi Tailights and I was thinking of getting the E52 with them can you tell me how the wiring install went? Did you have to run two wires up from your brakelight splicing into the existing wiring harness? or is it a plug and play system?
post #17 of 46 (permalink) Old 01-03-2009, 02:27 PM

http://www.twistedthrottle.com/trade/productview/3906 Here is a link, wouldn't you know, no picture of the ALU-RACK which is what you want, in black, but if you search the site you can see pics of it on other bikes. It's the same one I use on my ZRX and ZZR1200. Here is another thought, if you know someone else with the same system, regardless of bike, you can borrow or swap around the luggage.
post #18 of 46 (permalink) Old 01-03-2009, 04:04 PM

I have the light kit for the E52 from Givi and the light kit for V35 cases from http://www.admorelighting.com/index.....php&subpage=9. If I had it to do over I would probably go with the http://www.admorelighting.com/index.....php&subpage=8 kit for the E52 as well. The quick release on the Givi light kit is really convenient, but doesn't work very well. Also the AdMoreLighting kit for the E52 has turn signals.

Steve

I bought a motorcycle because my wife said that I couldn't! Now I have two and she still says I can't have another one!
Sounds like a challenge to me!

Now I have four!

post #19 of 46 (permalink) Old 01-03-2009, 05:40 PM

Sharrison, by saying "youre givi light kit doesnt work very well" do you mean that because of the quick dissconnect the contacts arent always made and therefore your lights sometimes dont work? do you realize when the lights go out? how was the install for the admore? was it plug-n-play or cut and splice?
post #20 of 46 (permalink) Old 01-03-2009, 05:50 PM Thread Starter

I think I'll order the SW Motech soon from Twistthrottle. The adapter plates to attach the hard cases, do the cases come with the plates or do you have to buy them separately? Also what is the difference between monolock and monokey? May be a stupid question to some, but I just don't know! Thanks to all.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode