Frame Cracks? Should I buy one? - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-25-2008, 03:08 PM Thread Starter

Frame Cracks? Should I buy one?

Hi Folks, I am a longtime motorcycle rider who has had cruisers and sportbikes. I am in the market for a new bike and wanted something different (read light & comfortable). I was strongly leaning towards a Versys until I read the posts on cracks in the frame. I haven't heard an Official Kawasaki response or about new bikes having been cured of this problem? Does anyone have advice for me regarding buying or staying away from a Versys until this is sorted out. thanks much, Rick
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-25-2008, 05:31 PM

I haven't heard of anyone that has actually had a crack in a Versys frame, but there does appear to be some stress in the frames unless you add the spacers.

Steve

I bought a motorcycle because my wife said that I couldn't! Now I have two and she still says I can't have another one!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sounds like a challenge to me!

Now I have four!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-25-2008, 05:47 PM

This motorcycle is too good to skip because of a few isolated frame cracks. We've only had the bike in the States for a year, and the only frame cracks I've seen are from Europe where they've had the bike longer. Like all internet "problems" it's probably a very small minority of people experiencing a problem.

The problem appears to be the engine mount bolt, when torqued only to spec, there is a gap because the bolt is not fully seated. Therefore it seems excessive torque was applied at the factory to fully seat the bolt.

I don't have a problem and have never even checked. I'd guess you won't have a problem either.

Don
"ride more, worry less"
2005 Suzuki GSXR1000 (slightly bent) - Track
2000 Honda VFR800 - Street

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-25-2008, 09:17 PM

Frame cracks were mostly reported on the original European ER6 version. The engine mount tabs welded to the frame have been revised for 2008+ models. We have just shimmed out any gap at front left and right engine mount bolts as an extra precaution. No need to worry though as they are highly reliable... A 'Kawette' french forum member is now at over 80000 Kms (49709 miles) with his ER-6f.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-25-2008, 09:58 PM Thread Starter

Are there any documents, TSBs or updates from Kawasaki that you cant point me towards that state that the issue has been corrected for 2008+?
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-25-2008, 11:32 PM

It was apparently already done on late 2007 models. My 2007 was made in September 2006 before the revision. More info here:
http://www.versys.co.uk/index.php?op...&topic=2735.15

Last edited by invader; 12-26-2008 at 04:36 AM.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-26-2008, 01:01 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for that link. I concurr, seems as if Kawasaki decided to really beef up the offending welds mid 2007 model year.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-26-2008, 06:02 AM

The brackets on my 2008 are different than the ones that cracked,the problem isn't the gap its the bracket and welds which were changed to eliminate the problem of stress cracking from excess torque on the weld.The new bracket spreads the force over a much larger area .

AMA EAA STN
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-12-2010, 11:56 AM

Woops, litterally... I was cruising at the speed limit (55mph to the second power, lol) and that little sign that said 'bump ahea' was unreadable at that speed. I hit it HARD, enough to bottom the suspension completely hurt my lower back and almost knocked the wind out of me. The footage of Evil Knivil during his crash in Vegas came to mind. I stayed upright fortunatly, and the good ol 0'8 Versys had zero damage, I did check the frame, no worries. I weigh about 200 lbs and was very surprised it didn't taco the wheels. Very strong well built bike if you ask me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode