My first 30 miles on the Versys! - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 50 (permalink) Old 02-22-2013, 11:29 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
My first 30 miles on the Versys!

So I sold my pride and joy Harley yesterday, and bought a blue 09 Versys today that had 1500 miles on it. I rode it home from the dealer, taking the longest way I could find, and let me say, what a fun bike. There is such a difference, it's apples and oranges. Couldn't be happier! I was wondering if going from a 1200cc to a 650cc would be a let down, but it totally seems quicker to me, more comfortable, and way more responsive. Looking forward to putting some serious miles on it. Quickly realized that some handguards and a seat are in the near future. I'm thinking about picking up the Corbin, any inputs? Are Barkbusters the best way to go, or are there other options? I'll get some pics up soon, and look forward to picking your brains.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 50 (permalink) Old 02-22-2013, 11:35 PM
rlj

May want to check some threads on the Seat Concepts seat, mostly satisfied customers. It will raise you up a bit so depending how tall you are or if the bike has been lowered it may work for you. If your bike normal height you need to be over 6'. Mines lowered and I'm 5'9 and it works well for me. Best seat option for the money unless you take the cover off and work the foam yourself........can't help on the Barkbusters.

Congrats on the new V.

13 Yamaha FJR 1300
09 Kawasaki KLX 250S
05 HD Sportster Roadster 1200
02 Malaguti F12 Phantom 49cc Italian Scooter
post #3 of 50 (permalink) Old 02-22-2013, 11:51 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the input, I assume mine is standard height. I'm 5'11" and have no problem standing flat footed. I've just always had great luck with the Corbins. They aren't cheap, but I'm always satisfied.

post #4 of 50 (permalink) Old 02-23-2013, 12:16 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by zh2oman View Post
Thanks for the input, I assume mine is standard height. I'm 5'11" and have no problem standing flat footed. I've just always had great luck with the Corbins. They aren't cheap, but I'm always satisfied.
The Corbin on the Versys is awful and the build quality on it was the worst of all the seats i've put on my Versys. I've had the Corbin, Baldwin Tall, Russell Day Long, 2 Kawi Gel Seats and my current seat is the Terry Adcock Flat Seat. Top 2 are The Terry Adcock & Baldwin. If doing mostly long trips Then the Russell Breaks into the Top 2

2009 Blue Versys.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #5 of 50 (permalink) Old 02-23-2013, 03:39 AM

Garage

Best guards on the market IMO
post #6 of 50 (permalink) Old 02-23-2013, 07:12 AM

Seats

Over the years I've had many different bikes and seats. Day Long, Mustang and many others. The day long has always been the best. I have a Balwin right now and just got a Terry Adcox seat this week along with 2 snow snow storms so I have not tried it yet...BUT.... Terry gives you the option of 3 different designs and takes the time to ask you about yourself and how you ride.
Most seat makers give you one design and you hope it works for you. Check out what terry can do for you.

Cb
post #7 of 50 (permalink) Old 02-23-2013, 08:08 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb1313 View Post
Over the years I've had many different bikes and seats. Day Long, Mustang and many others. The day long has always been the best. I have a Balwin right now and just got a Terry Adcox seat this week along with 2 snow snow storms so I have not tried it yet...BUT.... Terry gives you the option of 3 different designs and takes the time to ask you about yourself and how you ride.
Most seat makers give you one design and you hope it works for you. Check out what terry can do for you.

Cb
Which Terry Adcox seat did you get? I've put about 10,000 miles on my flat seat design and am very happy with it. When shredding the curves and riding the dirt I am up on the tank like a dirt bike and when cruising I slide back into the sweet spot and am all day comfortable. My longest day was 800 miles and I would have gone further but ran out of daylight.

My Versys Travels:

post #8 of 50 (permalink) Old 02-23-2013, 08:49 AM

I've had seats on my ST1300 and Versys reworked by Spencer (http://greatdaytoride.com/Home_Page.php) and been very satisfied with his work and service. He lowered each seat a bit and uses Supracor foam which I find improves comfort on long (400+) miles days. Did an 800+ mile day last summer on the Versys with good comfort.

If you go for the Barkbusters handguards, which are a good choice, keep in mind that your options for a larger windscreen will be limited as the guards will impact the shield even before full lock. A set of bar risers or a Madstad windscreen bracket seems to address that, but give it some thought.

Welcome aboard.

[SIZE="1"]Ride. Good.

2003 ST1300ABS
2008 Versys
IBA 59868
post #9 of 50 (permalink) Old 02-23-2013, 08:54 AM

Terry Adcax seat

Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheeladdict View Post
Which Terry Adcox seat did you get? I've put about 10,000 miles on my flat seat design and am very happy with it. When shredding the curves and riding the dirt I am up on the tank like a dirt bike and when cruising I slide back into the sweet spot and am all day comfortable. My longest day was 800 miles and I would have gone further but ran out of daylight.
This is the seat I got. Due to a Ice storm and 20 deg. weather is has not been tried yet.

Cb
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Terry Adcox seat 001.JPG (145.4 KB, 136 views)
post #10 of 50 (permalink) Old 02-23-2013, 12:26 PM

Congrats on the purchase. My friend is going to let me ride his Harley this spring so I am interested to see how it compares to a sport bike.

I've got no issues with the stock seat. My longest rides are 350+ per day and my butt doesn't complain too much.

Beauty is in the eye of the beer-holder
post #11 of 50 (permalink) Old 02-23-2013, 12:34 PM Thread Starter

I have a feeling that you'll quickly want to get back on your bike after riding the Harley. They look good and have a great sound, but for performance and fun there is no comparison.

Thanks for all the inputs, time to do some research and price comparisons. Sure hope the weather warms up a few degrees here in Louisiana soon. Who am I kidding, I'm riding it either way!
post #12 of 50 (permalink) Old 02-23-2013, 12:40 PM

Harley riding

My other bike is a Yamaha Royal Star Venture Midnight. I can tell you riding a 900 pound cruiser and a Versys are 2 different worlds. My Venture has all the toys...CB/AM/FM 4 speaker stereo, large side bags, rear trunk, full fairing, cruise, floorboards etc.
But having 2 bikes is getting old so I am selling the Venture this spring.
Have a good ride.

Cb
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 491.JPG (154.8 KB, 97 views)
File Type: jpg 412.JPG (156.1 KB, 94 views)
post #13 of 50 (permalink) Old 02-23-2013, 12:44 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quote:
...Are Barkbusters the best way to go, or are there other options?....
My Vs have "Zeta XCs" which I like, but Cycle Gear now has a similar guard (around the $40 mark) which I would buy IF I needed another.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #14 of 50 (permalink) Old 02-23-2013, 01:05 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb1313 View Post
This is the seat I got. Due to a Ice storm and 20 deg. weather is has not been tried yet.

Cb

That's Terry regular seat. a few of us has his flat seat...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/5418178...7630244363554/

Heres the tall baldwin & corbin on the versys.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/5418178...7630335231428/

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

Mike Tyson

post #15 of 50 (permalink) Old 02-23-2013, 02:01 PM

I too came from a cruiser. I will never go back. I made the same observations as you when I switched (from a Suzuki C50). Since riding the Versys, I cannot stand the foot forward awkwardness of my wifes VStar cruiser. Her bike seems so heavy and clunky like driving a heavy truck. Hers is a 650 as well.

May you have many fun trouble free miles on your new ride!
post #16 of 50 (permalink) Old 02-23-2013, 04:55 PM

I've been quite happy with the stock Versys seat... Although I do employ an Airhawk pad on my longer rides.

GeneHil - Mount Dora, FL
2011 Kawasaki Versys
Viet Nam: Dec67-Dec68 & Jul69-Dec72
post #17 of 50 (permalink) Old 02-23-2013, 06:45 PM

A 1200 Hd has what? 65HP? A Versys 650 has what? 60 hp?

Enjoy your new bike, We need pictures or it did not happen..
post #18 of 50 (permalink) Old 02-23-2013, 07:16 PM Thread Starter

Here are a few pics of the new ride!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0080.jpg (85.7 KB, 132 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0082.jpg (90.4 KB, 124 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0083.jpg (87.2 KB, 122 views)
post #19 of 50 (permalink) Old 02-23-2013, 08:01 PM

Garage
Quote:
Here are a few pics of the new ride!

Yep the blue "Sure is Puurrrrdy".

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

Mike Tyson

post #20 of 50 (permalink) Old 02-23-2013, 08:45 PM
rlj

Just curious, which type HD did you sell? I recently got a Sporty Roadster 1200 and absolutely love it for what I use it for..........Still love my V but I love the sporty as well. Two different bike for two different purposes.

13 Yamaha FJR 1300
09 Kawasaki KLX 250S
05 HD Sportster Roadster 1200
02 Malaguti F12 Phantom 49cc Italian Scooter
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode