• 1 Post By 78530i
  • 1 Post By 52Degrees
  • 1 Post By TechScott
  • 2 Post By onewizard

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-17-2020, 09:54 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Emergency Battery Question

Is it okay to use a 12 v - 12 Ah battery versus the OEM 12 v - 10 Ah. I decided to trade out my original battery today since I just found out yesterday that our regular Memorial Day weekend ride is a go. Got a Duracell AGM today from Battery and Bulbs that met the specks for my '09 only to get it home to find that it has the rectangular style terminals that will not work with the smaller square male ends are on my bike. In fact the connection is so tight that I do not see room to cut off the existing connectors to retro fit. The only online available sealed AGM that will get here in a couple of days is one from Battery Mart that is the same size as the OEM and has the same style terminals, but is a 12 v - 10 Ah. Everything I read is that going up from 10 Ah to 12 Ah is not an issue.

Comment, suggestions. I need to order Monday morning to get it installed by Thursday night to be on my way. Original still works, but I realize I have been living on borrowed time. Thanks guys.
RayJ

rayj
2009 Versys (Mine's Green)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-17-2020, 10:44 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
I don,t think there is any harm in using slightly high rated battery as long as the voltage is the same.

At present my battery is 200CCA /14.0Ah and mine is 09 model.

Last edited by Fastoman; 05-17-2020 at 10:51 PM.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-18-2020, 07:08 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
Ah is more a measure of how long the battery can crank. It's a capacity measurement. Voltage and the resistance in the circuit determine the amperage that flows through. All the other battery specs only tell you how long you can crank a dead engine that won't start up and charge itself. Also, if the battery is cold, how will it perform (CCA).
Fastoman likes this.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-18-2020, 08:18 AM Thread Starter

All, I was only looking at a couple of my favorite MC parts places. Found multiple matches to the OEM and more upgraded versions on that big warehouse in the sky and will have one here early Weds. using my wife's Prime account. Surprised the local places including the big auto parts stores don't carry this size that was a staple for many 2006 - 2012 bikes.

Take care and thanks for the primer on the differences in the rating ranges.

rayj
2009 Versys (Mine's Green)
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-18-2020, 10:09 AM

Garage
I'm sure Onewizard will chime in soon, but my personal opinion is that, as long as it fits in the provided space, terminals are compatible and reach the right places, I really don't care how much higher than factory the battery is rated. I can't see it making any difference in the performance of the bike, aside from standby time (unless you really drain it, then I suppose charging it back up could challenge the electrical system temporarily).

Battery technology improves over time. You may not be able to find a low enough rated battery for certain older tech as time goes on.
jaaklucas likes this.

2016 KLZ1000GBFAL
No mods yet
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-18-2020, 10:18 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
Amp Hour (AH) is the is amount of time a battery can continuously provide a current
not the amount of current it provides all at once.

If you're filling a glass with water,
it doesn't matter if you're filling it from a one quart pitcher or a two quart pitcher.

��
52Degrees likes this.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-18-2020, 12:34 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Amp / HR -CC Amps

I did a post earlier, several options, Yuasa AGM , two cranking amps available, buy the lower plate / cranking amp one. Think about it, many offer more CC amp for more $. No magic here, the same shell can only hold so many plates, the higher CC amp one has more plates. Only way is thinner plates and thinner insulation. Yes , with a series regulator my batteries last about 6 years, even I had to pause and think when I replaced the battery in the 07 Versys, 10 amp hour with higher cranking amps and more plates was $35 more, same physical size. Thicker plates and thicker insulation with the same 10 amp hour is the way to go, it is also the cheapest battery because of high volume sales. JMHO
quexpress and 52Degrees like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode