Prepping for cross country trip - Kawasaki Versys Forum
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 44 (permalink) Old 02-20-2013, 01:07 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Prepping for cross country trip

Hey guys. Just got a new 2011 V (only 700 miles) and I'm prepping for a trip from Denver to Philadelphia (about 1800 miles each way). Just wanted to make sure I'm not forgetting anything. My shopping list so far:

sw motec crash guards
sw motec highway pegs
givi monokey panniers
vistacruise throttle lock
barkbusters storm hand guards
oxford heated grips
baldwin seat with gel insert
wolfman tank bag
motowerk foot peg lowering kit
12v power outlet

The bike alread has a touring windscreen and suspension lowering kit installed.

I'll be taking a camelbak for water and already have gloves, boots, helmet, jacket, and pants.

I think I'll probably need something to lift the back wheel for chain adjustments and chain cleanings too. Any recommendations?
How long should I expect the tires to last? They are just the stock ones.

Am I forgetting anything? Suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 44 (permalink) Old 02-20-2013, 01:44 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
You might want to check out one of these.http://www.packjack.ca/ If you get one call them and order the RS Model which is for the Versys.

You might want something like this....http://www.stopngo.com/tubeless-punc...scooters-atvs/ mine has this pump....http://www.stopngo.com/cycle-pump-ad...ll-trucks-too/

Your tires should be fine. I rode from texas to cali 1500 miles and it squared the tires some because of long straight roads. Started the trip with 5000 miles on the tires. Put new tires on at 7500 miles because i just didn't like the stock tires.

2009 Blue Versys.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #3 of 44 (permalink) Old 02-20-2013, 02:00 PM

There are a couple things you may want to check before you go. One is the Versys riders google map Capt. Kirk has assembled for us (on a post somewhere in here..). You may find there are a few fellow members along your route that you could call on if you break down. There is also a thread here for members willing to "lend a couch" if you need a place to stay for the night. And lastly, post your route, you may get some offers to ride with you for a few miles or tips on which roads not to take..

post #4 of 44 (permalink) Old 02-20-2013, 02:12 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by weljo2001 View Post
You might want to check out one of these.http://www.packjack.ca/ If you get one call them and order the RS Model which is for the Versys.

You might want something like this....http://www.stopngo.com/tubeless-punc...scooters-atvs/ mine has this pump....http://www.stopngo.com/cycle-pump-ad...ll-trucks-too/
Perfect. Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stud Muffin View Post
There are a couple things you may want to check before you go. One is the Versys riders google map Capt. Kirk has assembled for us (on a post somewhere in here..). You may find there are a few fellow members along your route that you could call on if you break down. There is also a thread here for members willing to "lend a couch" if you need a place to stay for the night. And lastly, post your route, you may get some offers to ride with you for a few miles or tips on which roads not to take..
Ahh cool. Will do. Bike or no bike, I usually use CouchSurfing.org when traveling and I have a bunch of friends in various cities along the way. Definitely wouldn't be a bad thing to have some reassurances with backup for the bike though.
post #5 of 44 (permalink) Old 02-20-2013, 02:57 PM

Garage
Don't be afraid of over packing.

IMG_0135 by weljo2001, on Flickr

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

Mike Tyson

post #6 of 44 (permalink) Old 02-20-2013, 03:12 PM

I did 5600 miles round trip - Panama City, FL to/from Billing, MT back in July on my 2011.

Here's the setup I used:
120 liter Overboard Waterproof Roll-Top Duffel contains mostly camping equipment. Nemo Morpho 1p tent, Big Agnes sleeping bag/Big Agnes insulated air core pad, Hammock included as alternate choice from the tent. TravelChair and a few other odds and ends. 60% full.
(At 120 liters, it's larger than I really need but it's also truly waterproof - so I've opted for it over my North Face medium duffel that I found wasn't as waterproof as I'd hoped on my shakedown run to Key West a couple of weeks ago.)
Right Pannier: Tools/Compressor/Plug-It kit/Chain Lube and Jack/Rain Suit/Rain Boots/Cycle Cover/Cheap Walmart Tarp/ (100% full)
Left Pannier: JetBoil stove/Spare Fuel/Food/Coffee/Toiletries/Rags/5-Hour Energy stash/Bottled Water... and a few other odds and ends. 80% full
Top Box: Clothes/Spare Visor/First Aid Kit/Huggies Butt Wipes/Camp Towel/a few other odds and ends. 100% full.
Tank Bag: Camera/Phone/Leatherman/Camera Monopod/Visor Cleaning Kit/a couple of 5-Hour Energies/Trail Mix/Tire Gage/Pen/Notebook/Small Binoculars/odds and ends.

Your tires should be fine - with only 700+ to start out with.
I swapped my 5000 mile tires out before my trip with two new PR-3s... I had a flat (nail) in Oklahoma - about 950 miles from home. I plugged the hole with my PlugIt kit and got home just fine. Once home I replaced the rear tire with a new PR-3. So now, the front PR-3 has about 6000 miles on it and the rear has about 2000 miles on it. Both still look new.

So... I'd suggest a good toolkit, a compressor and a way to replair punctures... or reliable roadside assistance.
jackrobinson likes this.

GeneHil - Mount Dora, FL
2011 Kawasaki Versys
Viet Nam: Dec67-Dec68 & Jul69-Dec72
post #7 of 44 (permalink) Old 02-20-2013, 03:44 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Did you have to adjust your suspension/preload to compensate for all that?
post #8 of 44 (permalink) Old 02-20-2013, 04:07 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by thelastknowngod View Post
Did you have to adjust your suspension/preload to compensate for all that?

Nope and at the time i weighed about 275lbs.

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

Mike Tyson

post #9 of 44 (permalink) Old 02-20-2013, 04:34 PM Thread Starter

Cool. I'm only about 170 and I'd be shocked if I took half that much stuff. Hell.. I don't think I own that much stuff! haha
post #10 of 44 (permalink) Old 02-20-2013, 05:00 PM

Garage
Quote:
Cool. I'm only about 170 and I'd be shocked if I took half that much stuff. Hell.. I don't think I own that much stuff! haha

Well it was bad planning on my part. I shipped most of my stuff then what was left i packed up and loaded on the bike at 10pm. First time i got on the bike leaving out at 1am i knew it was a bad ideal but said what the hell and rode it out. Just used the stuff behind me like a backrest. The Baldwin seat and the highway pegs made it a comfortable ride..

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

Mike Tyson

post #11 of 44 (permalink) Old 02-20-2013, 05:26 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quote:
...Am I forgetting anything? Suggestions?
$...?

Quote:

IMG_0135 by weljo2001, on Flickr
I was ALMOST gonna post "But yes - your 350# would definitely balance THAT little load....", but I WON'T.

Quote:
Nope and at the time i weighed about 275lbs.
See above....

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #12 of 44 (permalink) Old 02-20-2013, 07:08 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
$...?
Yeah I did some math before I bought the bike just to make sure I could afford everything I need including emergency cash, food, and gas money for the trip itself. Should be fine. Have plenty saved up. I'm using vacation hours for the trip out, staying for 2 months (working remotely the whole time), and probably using some vacation time to head back. That is assuming I don't just fly back and have the bike shipped.. Will have to see how the trip out goes.

I would have bought the bike and done all these customizations at some point any way.. this is just a big motivator.

The bike was pretty cheap considering miles, age, and customizations already done too.. for a 2011 with 700 miles I only paid $6200. The guy I bought it from needed back surgery right after he bought it. He said his back hurt after sitting on it for 15 minutes now so he was getting rid of it. Pretty sweet deal.

Last edited by thelastknowngod; 02-20-2013 at 07:10 PM.
post #13 of 44 (permalink) Old 02-20-2013, 08:31 PM

I use one of these for lubing the chain after a days ride while on the road.
http://www.motorcycleradar.com/quick_stand.htm
Dan
post #14 of 44 (permalink) Old 02-20-2013, 09:37 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
I added a couple of these tool tubes http://www.twistedthrottle.com/twist...w-mounting-kit to the inside of the frame holding the panniers.

You can see one in the lower left of the photo. I used them to carry my chain lube and some tools and zip ties.

I had a travelling companion so we worked it out where one would pull the bike up onto the sidestand and front wheel while the other rotated the tire and lubed the chain on both bikes.

My Versys Travels:

post #15 of 44 (permalink) Old 02-21-2013, 02:27 AM

Quote:
You might want something like this....http://www.stopngo.com/tubeless-punc...scooters-atvs/

Put new tires on at 7500 miles because i just didn't like the stock tires.
Have you used those tire plugs? From what I've read about mushroom plugs online, I'm sticking with the sticky rope type plugs. I keep a few under my seat along with the ream and installation tool, a bicycle mini pump, pressure gauge, and a knife (to cut the extra bits of the plug off after installation). I'm sure a compressor would be better to have than the mini pump.

Like you, I replaced the stock tires early.
post #16 of 44 (permalink) Old 02-21-2013, 02:35 AM

Quote:
I think I'll probably need something to lift the back wheel for chain adjustments and chain cleanings too. Any recommendations?
I installed an automatic oiler for my second chain, and I've never cleaned or lubed that chain. And I rarely need to adjust it. Went 8k miles before the 1st adjustment.

So far it's lasted longer than the original chain that I was cleaning and waxing regularly.
post #17 of 44 (permalink) Old 02-21-2013, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheeladdict View Post

I had a travelling companion so we worked it out where one would pull the bike up onto the sidestand and front wheel while the other rotated the tire and lubed the chain on both bikes.
Yeah, the PackJack is cool, but seems pricey... it would be pretty easy to find or make a prop to hold the bike up an inch after you do what's described above... I wonder if a piece of ski-pole shaft would be strong enough?
post #18 of 44 (permalink) Old 02-21-2013, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidg View Post
Have you used those tire plugs? From what I've read about mushroom plugs online, I'm sticking with the sticky rope type plugs. I keep a few under my seat along with the ream and installation tool, a bicycle mini pump, pressure gauge, and a knife (to cut the extra bits of the plug off after installation). I'm sure a compressor would be better to have than the mini pump.

I have used both mushroom plugs and gummy worms. The stopngo device works beautifully for small clean punctures on tires without steel belts. I've put thousands of miles in tires with such a plug, once on my ST1300, once on my Versys. Interesting that both of these repairs took place in my garage after the rear tire lost air due to a small puncture and I discovered it when checking tire pressure before going for a ride.

I have also used gummy worm plugs and rubber cement if the nature of the damage doesn't suit a mushroom plug (not a tiny hole, not a clean puncture, odd angle). I've made such repairs three times, all for other people. The gummy worms/rubber cement repairs were for more serious damage where the idea was to fix the tire well enough to get to a place where a new tire could be installed.

Get a proper 12v air compressor and if you're running it for more than just a few seconds be sure to keep you bike running so you don't end up inflating your tire while killing your battery.

Carry some better tools than come in the factory kit. It never hurts to know how to remove wheels should you need to replace a tire.

Do you have proper rain gear? You'll want that for a cross country trip. Every pair of "waterproof" gloves I've had failed to live up to their billing, except for these: http://www.aerostich.com/clothing/gl...ve-covers.html They are just rubber over gloves, but XXL so they fit over your regular gloves.

If you have a 12v power port, consider a heated jacket liner. Having heat can be the difference between riding comfortably and being miserable. Also consider an adapter so you can charge your cell phone while riding.

Might be worth stashing a headlamp bulb in your bag of spares.

Do you have roadside assistance? Consider joining AMA for the roadside assistance plan. http://www.americanmotorcyclist.com/...sideassistance

Have a great ride.

[SIZE="1"]Ride. Good.

2003 ST1300ABS
2008 Versys
IBA 59868
post #19 of 44 (permalink) Old 02-21-2013, 11:56 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Versystole View Post
Yeah, the PackJack is cool, but seems pricey... it would be pretty easy to find or make a prop to hold the bike up an inch after you do what's described above... I wonder if a piece of ski-pole shaft would be strong enough?
Here's a picture of what I made from an old crutch. I have one for each of my Vs. (The velcro is to hold the front brake ON so it doesn't roll and fall over!)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg versys crutch1.jpg (33.6 KB, 114 views)
File Type: jpg versys crutch2.jpg (55.1 KB, 113 views)
File Type: jpg versys crutch3.jpg (62.1 KB, 97 views)
File Type: jpg versys crutch4.jpg (41.1 KB, 103 views)

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #20 of 44 (permalink) Old 02-21-2013, 12:38 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidg View Post

So far i've been lucky and haven't had to use the tire plugs. But i've used the compressor quite a bit for people in our groups that don't check thier tires before a ride. Did let the neighbor kid use the plug kit to take care of a rear tire flat he had on his ZX10R and the tire has held up well.

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

Mike Tyson

Last edited by weljo2001; 02-21-2013 at 12:41 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode