First impressions - first ride V650 - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By dlwilliams48
  • 1 Post By davec719

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-01-2020, 05:41 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
First impressions - first ride V650

Picked up my ride 2 days ago from the dealer and got it home between rain showers, so yesterday was the first time I got to go for any kind of extended ride. Did about 75 miles. First leg was on an "expressway" and it was hard to keep it on the 65mph speed limit. Cut across a state park road with some twisties and it did well for me, considering I am used to a Vulcan 1500 Classic. I figure I will need 5 or 6 more rides before I start to feel more confident on this ride.

First things I think I need to do - mirror extenders and different windscreen (I'm considering the Puig Touring Windscreen from Revzilla). I ordered some 12V sockets to install, and need to find a source for the required relay. I want to add some type of side bags or saddlebags but I am still looking at those. I will probably settle on soft bags, not really interested in the OEM bags, at least for the time being.

So, first ride was nice. Plenty of power, quick, nimble and fairly comfortable (not counting the wind buffeting.) Looks nice as well. One slight issue I am having is that at 72 I'm not as limber as I used to be so it is fun getting on and off the bike. Once I in the saddle all is good. I need to start doing some stretches, heh heh.

Now, it is about 0640 and I plan to gear up in an hour or so and take another spin.
52Degrees likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-01-2020, 06:09 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Glad you are enjoying the Versys. Take it easy for a few rides till the bike comes to you. Be safe.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-01-2020, 07:01 AM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Garage
Have you thought about mounting it like a horse? Left foot on the peg, both hands on the bars and stand up before putting your right leg over. Make sure to keep it in 1st gear and off when mounting and dismounting.

My Versys Travels:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-01-2020, 07:02 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Garage
I'm somewhat height challenged, and find swinging my leg over a V to be difficult from the ground, so I stand on the left footpeg as I mount.

If this is the same for you, check ebay for inexpensive footpeg replacement rubber. I think my last one was $3.99 shipped.

2016 KLZ1000GBFAL
No mods yet
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-01-2020, 07:31 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Even though I am 5'9", I still prefer House Mounting as its easy on the limbs and you get a chance to pull your riding pants in position.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-01-2020, 08:14 AM

Not sure the kickstand really cares, but I don't like putting all my weight on it. I mount from the right side like the CHP.

Here's a video of the technique I often use when feeling less than limber:

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-01-2020, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlwilliams48 View Post
Picked up my ride 2 days ago from the dealer and got it home between rain showers, so yesterday was the first time I got to go for any kind of extended ride. Did about 75 miles. First leg was on an "expressway" and it was hard to keep it on the 65mph speed limit. Cut across a state park road with some twisties and it did well for me, considering I am used to a Vulcan 1500 Classic. I figure I will need 5 or 6 more rides before I start to feel more confident on this ride.

First things I think I need to do - mirror extenders and different windscreen (I'm considering the Puig Touring Windscreen from Revzilla). I ordered some 12V sockets to install, and need to find a source for the required relay. I want to add some type of side bags or saddlebags but I am still looking at those. I will probably settle on soft bags, not really interested in the OEM bags, at least for the time being.

So, first ride was nice. Plenty of power, quick, nimble and fairly comfortable (not counting the wind buffeting.) Looks nice as well. One slight issue I am having is that at 72 I'm not as limber as I used to be so it is fun getting on and off the bike. Once I in the saddle all is good. I need to start doing some stretches, heh heh.

Now, it is about 0640 and I plan to gear up in an hour or so and take another spin.

Welcome and howdy from Floriduh.

PM sent regarding available Puig and Givi windshields.

Yeah, if you want true ram air tuning, you better be willing to ram some air! (SteveinSunnyFlorida)

'15 KLE650LT
'99 Concours(with 234,xxx miles on it), sold
'98 KLR650

And most of Canada too, eh?
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-01-2020, 08:26 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by tennistime99 View Post
Not sure the kickstand really cares, but I don't like putting all my weight on it. I mount from the right side like the CHP.

https://youtu.be/jeEwmQi62do

I'm 5'11" with a 29" inseam. There's absolutely no way I could mount from the right.

Also, I weight north of 300 lbs. The kickstand doesn't care.

2016 KLZ1000GBFAL
No mods yet
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-01-2020, 09:05 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the tips guys. I see I'm not alone in this. I actually used the foot on the peg this morning and mounted from the kickstand side - no problem. I might try the right side mount as well now that I have seen the video.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-01-2020, 09:06 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
PM sent regarding available Puig and Givi windshields.
PM replied to...
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-01-2020, 09:28 AM

Garage
Don't put off replacing the windshield like I did.

2016 KLZ1000GBFAL
No mods yet
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-15-2020, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennistime99 View Post

https://youtu.be/jeEwmQi62do

I can see that this technique works. But is doesn't take weight off the kick stand. Not that I can see.
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-15-2020, 08:26 PM

Id always mounted from the kickstand side. I found that much easier than the r/h side.

Dave
weljo2001 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode