Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

Bark Buster removal

1K views 6 replies 7 participants last post by  fasteddiecopeman 
#1 ·
Does anyone have any suggestions on how to remove the screw in the bar end? It's really tight and I want to change the grips. Should I apply heat? I'm thinking the PO may have used red locktite. :surprise: Thanks in advance.

Gerry

#3 ·
Try to apply wrench pressure on your bolt while tapping on the top of the wrench to jolt the bolt. This imitates the action of an impact wrench.

If that doesn't work, there could be red lock tight. I would apply heat to the bolt before trying again.

If the above 2 does not work, I would drill the head off the stuck bolt and then pull off the grip. Remove the shaft (without bolt head) with locking pliers. A new bolt will then be needed.

Good luck!

Reactions: onewizard
#4 ·
Wd-40

I will add to what Quexpress says, with a addition, if you have any penetrating oil with a extension, like used for chain lube, get in and spray past the bolt head. What I am going to tell you I have used 10000 of times. A common problem with alloys, stainless steel etc. is galling , that is when some of the threads become embebed into the harder material of the bolt. What you do, is say every half tun, spray your penetrating oil in, but go 1/2 or 1 full turn clockwise , what this does is help lube the dry thread you just freed up, it helps overcoming red loctite , so at 3 full turns out, go back 1 turn and lube, you will be surprised at how much easier that is. Last if you are concerned of the new bolt and mount coming loose, use brake cleaner on the bar thread, allow to dry, use blue loctite sparingly, 3 threads maximum. The vibration spoken of is like a impact , one last word, if you reach a point that the force required is double what you have been applying, STOP, spray and try turning back in possibly 2 or 3 turns, spray again, it may take 2 tries , you don't want to twist anything off.

Reactions: quexpress
#5 · (Edited)
I just use steel tube to get longer lever, and than without problem I unscrew them.
I have same problem with that screw when I try to put OEM handguard.

Kawasaki added some yellow locktite on whole length of screw.

#6 ·
it's normal, and its red thread lock from factory.
just more force, and a quality allen wrench that fits tightly and full depth, no round head, otherwise you will strip the head.

I would heat the head of the bolt so it heats the bolt 1st and soften the locker, if ever it still won't loosen, but I never needed that, not on both ninja, not on the versys.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.