TPMS and rubber valve stems - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Like Tree18Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-06-2020, 10:07 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
TPMS and rubber valve stems

Here's the deal LOL. I have read that you will die from a deflated tire if you use rubber valve stems with the TPS systems most of us are running (China) What say you?Is anyone running rubber valve stems with no problem? I don't want to die due to a valve stem breaking at 70 M.P.H. Call me silly I guess.

Smooth is fast.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-06-2020, 10:27 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
TPMS /Safety device

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxpro View Post
Here's the deal LOL. I have read that you will die from a deflated tire if you use rubber valve stems with the TPS systems most of us are running (China) What say you?Is anyone running rubber valve stems with no problem? I don't want to die due to a valve stem breaking at 70 M.P.H. Call me silly I guess.
No idea where you heard that. two things, centrifugal force is outward, the ones I have I doubt would make much difference. However, after owning my TPMS , I have stated it is more of a safety system to me. To be honest, if that sensor caused any damage, it would occur over a long time. Do yourself a favor and buy the 90' valve stems, put them some place you can find them. get the TPMS system. Install it. Trust me you are going to be doing some 4 letter words as I hated trying to get air in my tires, use the locking nut, it is no big deal, you can easily over-torque the sending unit, better to use the jam nut.

Last edited by onewizard; 04-06-2020 at 10:40 PM.
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-06-2020, 11:20 PM Thread Starter

I read an article that some guy wrote, He stated that his valve stem ( rubber) let go , Tore off whatever and caused his front tire to deflate as if a blowout had occurred sending him to the pavement and wrecking his bike. I find it hard to believe that the sending unit, Cap,whatever would have enough centrifugal force to cause this.I have a grain scale,Tomorrow ( If I remember I am going to weigh that cap) .I am just wondering if anyone has had a similar problem such as air loss .I do intend to switch to the 85 degree stems when I change my tires but That is not going to happen until I am able to leave on my trip.Until then Ill be running my old tires with the rubber stems. I already have the TPMS installed, And yes I think its a great tool .
onewizard likes this.

Smooth is fast.

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-07-2020, 04:53 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I have had a front wheel rubber valve stem let go and almost caused a crash. I DO NOT use rubber valve stems at all on any of my bikes now.

Adventure before dementia.
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-07-2020, 06:08 AM

Rider_Dave, was it caused by anything in particular, like having a heavier cap, or just material fatigue failure with stock everything?

2015 Versys 650
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-07-2020, 06:40 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxpro View Post
I read an article that some guy wrote, He stated that his valve stem ( rubber) let go , Tore off whatever and caused his front tire to deflate as if a blowout had occurred sending him to the pavement and wrecking his bike. I find it hard to believe that the sending unit, Cap,whatever would have enough centrifugal force to cause this.I have a grain scale,Tomorrow ( If I remember I am going to weigh that cap) .I am just wondering if anyone has had a similar problem such as air loss .I do intend to switch to the 85 degree stems when I change my tires but That is not going to happen until I am able to leave on my trip.Until then Ill be running my old tires with the rubber stems. I already have the TPMS installed, And yes I think its a great tool .
Like I said, have the 85 degree on hand. I have had bad valve stems, it took months to find it out, it involved removing the wheel and putting it in a tub of water, the rubber had dried out. Have you seen the tire mechanics change the valve stems, that tool and yank it out, well that cracked valve stem came apart, with Force
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rider_Dave View Post
I have had a front wheel rubber valve stem let go and almost caused a crash. I DO NOT use rubber valve stems at all on any of my bikes now.
Like anything, I would expect a slow leak at first, followed by weeks of riding and it getting worse, to expect the TPMS sending unit to cause damage, in the short term, no, and again I would expect to see something like a slow leak, where using a spray bottle with dish soap and water should find it. I have had bad valve cores and improperly mounted tires, but never a valve stem failure while riding.I did mention that if my TPMS showed a reading different than my settings, when starting out, I would turn around and head back home, put the bike on the stands and look for a nail or screw. FYI this is my very first bike with 85' CNC machined valve stems.
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-07-2020, 06:50 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
I have this unit on the bike for the last 8 years and no what so ever problem. its anti ageing and uses seal rather the rubber seat.

https://www.lazada.com.my/products/2...gaAlncEALw_wcB
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-07-2020, 06:52 AM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Garage
There was a lot of bad rubber parts in the '07 - '10 time period. Degraded rather quickly. Fuel lines, turn signal mounts, valve stems, and even tires showing signs of dry rot prematurely. Cheap Chinese parts. LOL!

Definitely change out the valves stems on your first tire change whether you use TPMS or not. Especially if your bike sits outside in a parking lot.

The TPMS system I bought for my touring bike came with valve stems and the option to mount the sensors inside the wheel or outside.
onewizard, Fastoman and foxpro like this.

My Versys Travels:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-07-2020, 07:59 AM

For once I'm happy that the X300 has tubes....
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-07-2020, 08:40 AM
Super Moderator

Trivia / Rubber & Ultra Violet Radiation

Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheeladdict View Post
There was a lot of bad rubber parts in the '07 - '10 time period. Degraded rather quickly. Fuel lines, turn signal mounts, valve stems, and even tires showing signs of dry rot prematurely. Cheap Chinese parts. LOL!

Definitely change out the valves stems on your first tire change whether you use TPMS or not. Especially if your bike sits outside in a parking lot.

The TPMS system I bought for my touring bike came with valve stems and the option to mount the sensors inside the wheel or outside.
Yes as a electrician I got all the clean jobs, so if you ever were involved in rubber manufacture several things to know, carbon black is used extensively. They use a arc lamp at the time , now other means of producing ultra violet , the kind during a solar eclipse that TR**P looked up at , the purpose is to see how long the rubber compound takes to break down. 20 years ago a sheet of plastic took a year, possibly 2 to fail. A cheap tarp the same, now if you get 6 months out you are doing good. I said trivia, carbon black is a extremely good conductor, the more in the compound the better it conducts, so when you see a truck in contact with high voltage and the tires on fire, that is because of the carbon black, if it is your car, stay in, unless it is on fire. Kangaroo hopping with one foot, keep your arms at your side, don't touch anything metal if possible, it could be your last.

The most expensive plastic made is the clear stuff, other $$$$ means of ultra violet protection come into play here. I think I have mentioned about non conductive hose, for water cooled inverters, yes you knew when someone didn't know what they were doing, when called in on a hose failure, one that vanished, only a small piece and a gear clamp left. Yes airline may look the same, but it isn't.
What appears to be rubber is usually a form of plastic, how can you tell? If you have a soldering iron, start it up, take a sample piece of hose, if it melts from the soldering iron, it ain't rubber.
I mentioned trivia
A excellent manufacturer of non conductive hose Gates 19B , made in Canada , you could take this hose 5 years later ,after being subject to 150'F water, cut it and slide it back onto a hose barb, NP. Well they decided that Mexico could make it cheaper:thum b: It was cheaper, think about it, something goes wrong, water cooled equipment operating at 860 VDC and in excess of 3500 VAC, circulation stops, do we want hose that melts present****Only if this is a make work project.

So I was leading up to what happened when Gates moved to Mexico , the hose supplier provided me with about 20 different hose samples, only one worked, all the rest had plastic in them. The OEM had to scramble too and went to India to get replacement hose made, we are talking 100 of thousands of feet.

So be aware when modifying your bike, instead of buying OEM hose to replace that ThermoBob hose, converting back, you went to Canadian tire, just be aware not all hose is a rubber product, like stainless steel , 100's of alloy's labeled stainless, the really good ones have a high nickel content , in induction 316 is the choice https://www.greenwoodmagnetics.com/r...ainless-steel/

OK, intermission is over, got some EBC brake shoes to install ,my Fortnine order arrived yesterday , only took a week, thanks again to a post by @16VGTIDave
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-07-2020, 02:52 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
My FIRST 90degree valves were ones made from rubber and had one REALLY 'get my attention' when my front tire started to "flub" as I was exiting OFF AZ 60, onto AZ 79.

I pulled over to check the bike, and quickly realized that the valve would lose air IF I pushed sideways on it, and obviously that was happening as I was riding, probably caused by 'centrifical' or 'centrifugal' force.

Got a ride home from a passing car, then came back and transported the bike (BIG RED) back home, and fixed the problem w/ a "normal" straight valve-stem, until I could get some of the aluminum 90 degree ones, which are what I 'wear' on both Vs now.
onewizard likes this.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-07-2020, 02:54 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
...[/B] until I could get some of the aluminum 90 degree ones, which are what I 'wear' on both Vs now....
In fact I try to always have a couple more up on the 'pegboard' behind my workbenches in case I NEED one (or TWO!).

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC

post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-07-2020, 04:17 PM

I haven't committed to installing TPMS on my bike, but if I do it will be the inside-the-rim units like cars have. What worries me more than breaking a metal stem (won't happen) is a leak in the cap deflating the tire. The cap has to defeat the valve to sense the pressure, so a leak in the cap seal will deflate the tire.

https://sykik.com/products/inner-tire-pressure-monitor

FWIW, I am avoiding all products which rely on a cell phone app. I've had some nice guitar related products become worthless when phone technology advances and no longer links to the product.
post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-07-2020, 05:09 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Garage
I bought a TPMS system for my 2009 V-650 back in 2011 but never installed them. The instruction made it loud and clear not to use with rubber valve stems....
twowheeladdict likes this.

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

“The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits.” – Albert Einstein
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-07-2020, 05:15 PM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fly-Sig View Post
I haven't committed to installing TPMS on my bike, but if I do it will be the inside-the-rim units like cars have. What worries me more than breaking a metal stem (won't happen) is a leak in the cap deflating the tire. The cap has to defeat the valve to sense the pressure, so a leak in the cap seal will deflate the tire.

https://sykik.com/products/inner-tire-pressure-monitor

FWIW, I am avoiding all products which rely on a cell phone app. I've had some nice guitar related products become worthless when phone technology advances and no longer links to the product.
Where is that website out of? Looks like a very reasonable price.

My Versys Travels:

post #16 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-07-2020, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by onewizard View Post
Like I said, have the 85 degree on hand. I have had bad valve stems, it took months to find it out, it involved removing the wheel and putting it in a tub of water, the rubber had dried out. Have you seen the tire mechanics change the valve stems, that tool and yank it out, well that cracked valve stem came apart, with Force

Like anything, I would expect a slow leak at first, followed by weeks of riding and it getting worse, to expect the TPMS sending unit to cause damage, in the short term, no, and again I would expect to see something like a slow leak, where using a spray bottle with dish soap and water should find it. I have had bad valve cores and improperly mounted tires, but never a valve stem failure while riding.I did mention that if my TPMS showed a reading different than my settings, when starting out, I would turn around and head back home, put the bike on the stands and look for a nail or screw. FYI this is my very first bike with 85' CNC machined valve stems.
I had a sudden and rapid deflation on a tubeless rim. The stock (Triumph) valve stem had split completely. It was unpleasant to say the least ')
onewizard likes this.

post #17 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-07-2020, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Big_Mac_ View Post
Rider_Dave, was it caused by anything in particular, like having a heavier cap, or just material fatigue failure with stock everything?

Hi mate, stock Triumph valve stem at that time with about 30K klms on it. No TPMS, standard plastic cap. I was about 50klms outside of Chiang Mai in northern Thailand and had to get a ride in an old fuel truck to the next village and hitchhike back in the blazing heat. That sucked.
onewizard likes this.

post #18 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-07-2020, 09:20 PM Thread Starter

O.K. Just for Giggles I got out the grain scale to see just how much difference there was in weight on the valve caps.The black plastic would not register on my grain scale.I zeroed the scale.https://www.kawasakiversys.com/forum...1&d=1586311882 Then I weighed a metal valve cap. https://www.kawasakiversys.com/forum...1&d=1586312049
Then I weighed the TPMS sensor. https://www.kawasakiversys.com/forum...1&d=1586312156
So there ya go TPMS weighed 6 grams compared to a normal metal cap @ 4 grams.I just don't see how this could cause a problem as in the past I have run the metal caps on my bikes before.I am gonna give it a go until I install my new tires @ that time I will be installing metal valve stems.What do you guys think? Forgot to mention 6 grams is 0.211 ounces.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0793.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	35.7 KB
ID:	167997   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0792.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	34.1 KB
ID:	167999   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0794.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	32.2 KB
ID:	168001  
onewizard and _Big_Mac_ like this.

Smooth is fast.

Last edited by foxpro; 04-07-2020 at 09:25 PM.
post #19 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-08-2020, 06:28 AM

That's kind of what I'd expect - if a rubber stem fails, it's probably because it was defective and/or made out of crap material rather than it having that extra gram on the cap...

FWIW, I've got around 10 000 kms with that TPMS on the rubber stem valve and no problems.
onewizard and foxpro like this.

2015 Versys 650
post #20 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-08-2020, 04:38 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fly-Sig View Post
...FWIW, I am avoiding all products which rely on a cell phone app. I've had some nice guitar related products become worthless when phone technology advances and no longer links to the product....
My brother, who was a TOP photographer, always said that you should have a back-up player/ reader for ANYTHING you have, on which your material is stored so you don't lose EVERYTHING when a new [whatever] comes along!
Fly-Sig and foxpro like this.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode