Caught under a 650 ?! - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Like Tree21Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-02-2020, 05:53 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Caught under a 650 ?!

I am 6' 1" but only 170 lbs & can comfortably touch the floor both sides.
But I nearly dropped my 650 and got caught under it when the parking lot had gravel under and was slippery.
I was very lucky because there is no way I could have lifted the bike from under it all on my own & if the exhaust pipe touches by leg or body , that can cause some serious injury or even death.

I was wondering if there was some simple gadget that can prevent the rider from getting totally caught under the bike. I have seen some side bars on older bikes but there has to be something better & nifty ?
Maybe adding hard sidecases on both sides at least help somewhat ?

Any thoughts ?

Last edited by leftykefty; 04-02-2020 at 05:56 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-02-2020, 06:08 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Side Hard case is the best as it prevent the bike from total leveling to the ground and somewhat helps in lifting the bike. Fixing older crash bars is the best option but no one has ever made one for the Versys.
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-02-2020, 07:02 PM

Put a Dimotiv engine guard on my '18. Like the looks and it projects out slightly kinda like a frame slider.

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-02-2020, 07:07 PM

Put a Dimotov engine guard on my '18. Like the look and it projects out kinda like frame sliders.
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-02-2020, 07:41 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
SW Motech crash bars / Highway pegs

Trekker cases with a rear cross brace

Look closely, a cross brace between racking, same level as side reflectors

dmer likes this.

Last edited by onewizard; 04-02-2020 at 07:46 PM.
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-03-2020, 01:54 AM

Garage
eat Wheatys and hump gorillas... thats what I do

if I'm answering your question I assume the basic points have been addressed, such as: did you do a compression test? is it still on fire?
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-03-2020, 03:26 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beezerboy View Post
I can't even imagine what life is like for most people. At 5'11" and 310 lbs (but look like 240 lbs) there's not much that holds me down.

I'm trying to think of ways I could get stuck under a tipped bike if I were small, and I'm having some trouble wrapping my head around the concept.

If one leg is trapped, where is the other? Can't it be used to push a handlebar to lift the bike some? Or maybe twist around a bit to get the second leg under the bike to reduce the pressure on the trapped limb and facilitate escape?

Am I just not understanding entwine else's reality?

2016 KLZ1000GBFAL
No mods yet
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-03-2020, 06:52 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
TL;DR: there is no secret escape and get solid boots.

2016. I was offroad and only crossed path with one pair of dirt bikes that day. I have been trapped for a minute, past the initial laughts.

I couldn't push with the free leg because the bike was too close. I'm not that flexible and folded that much I'd have no strength. Besides, at that weight, you don't really push the bike, you rather endup pulling your leg, which hurts. I managed to twist and get the free knee somewhat down and pull the bike up just enough to drag the leg out. I think it only worked because I was in a rut and the bike wasn't fully flat.

Since that time, got crashbars and shorter turn signals (wouldn't help me), and a I made a 2kg ratchet strap jack that is in the tail bag that could be reached and assembled, I guess while I'm under (though it was not made for that intervention).
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-03-2020, 07:36 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Given a choice between damaging the bike or getting stuck under.....I can fix or replace the bike, but as the years add up I don't heal quite as fast.
onewizard and Fastoman like this.
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-03-2020, 07:41 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
I've got a story about being trapped.

I was backing my Concours 1000 off the lift in my garage for the first time. I thought, 'Why not sit on the bike and roll it backwards?'
Why not? because it's a very heavy bike and can put you in a bad spot really quickly.

That bad spot was between the bike and a wall, where I found myself when the back wheel rolled off the side of the ramp. Trapped with a nearly 700 pound motorcycle on me. Nobody around except my dog and he was no help.

I lay there for about 20 minutes before a friend showed up. It was not easy to get the bike upright. I shrugged it off and had a laugh but man, did I hurt. My legs were so numb I couldn't stand up.

Won't make that mistake again.
onewizard, Fastoman, chid and 2 others like this.

Observations on life and motorcycling, short stories and photos, with no annoying political or religious rhetoric
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-03-2020, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beezerboy View Post
Humping a Gorilla can only happen once. The Gorilla will show you why! lol
Smiley and quexpress like this.
post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-03-2020, 11:20 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Garage
Not sure what year bike you have but here ya go.......https://www.t-rex-racing.com/2015-20...p/n54-15lg.htm

I was putting my bike in the garage one day. While riding it in i was getting off just before entering and thought i had put my kickstand down but didn't. The bike tossed me to the ground while i was sitting on it. I was just outside the garage with the bike ontop of me but i was laying right in front of the door to our guest house which is attached to the backgarage and the youngest boy stays there. Well I'm banging on the door for awhile but no answer. So i was able to take my right leg and with my foot push the bike off me. Only broke the left side mirror when it hit the side of the garage door frame..I'm a big guy 6'2" 300ish lbs and from how i was pinned there was no way to lift the bike...
Smiley likes this.

2009 Blue Versys.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

“The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits.” – Albert Einstein
post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-03-2020, 11:21 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmer View Post
Humping a Gorilla can only happen once. The Gorilla will show you why! lol

All depends on the size of your Banana..
Smiley and dmer like this.

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

“The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits.” – Albert Einstein
post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-03-2020, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weljo2001 View Post
Not sure what year bike you have but here ya go.......https://www.t-rex-racing.com/2015-20...p/n54-15lg.htm
These look like they'll bend your subframe in an otherwise harmless tipover...

2015 Versys 650
post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-03-2020, 11:37 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
IMO this is a great topic and one that I worry a lot about when riding alone off pavement in the PNW. I just posted a comment to Ryan F9's latest vid:
suggesting he cover it in a future video. Hopefully he (or Bret of Mototrek) will.
Smiley likes this.

-dm
post #16 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-03-2020, 02:44 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
I almost always ride with hard luggage mounted, partly for the reason of the bike not going flat against the ground in a tip-over. It will be a lot easier to pick up, and the chances of being trapped under the bike is less too.
post #17 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-03-2020, 03:39 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
My V is very 'naked', no bags, no cage, no Barkbusters, no engine guards- nothing-and that's the way I like it.

After considering all the protection many of you have on your V's, I've decided the best course of action is for me to put on an extra 50 pounds of fat.
I'll start by eating the entire pizza I have for supper tonight. And then move on to a few pounds of ice cream for dessert.

Safety first!

Observations on life and motorcycling, short stories and photos, with no annoying political or religious rhetoric
post #18 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-03-2020, 04:13 PM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Garage
At least the exhaust on the V650 is below the bike. Always wear thick leather motorcycle boots and at least you won't have to worry about being burned.

I have dropped bikes in the past but never with my leg under them. I move my leg out of the way, in other words once I know it is going over I bail out!

My Versys Travels:

post #19 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-03-2020, 04:46 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Caught BESIDE a downed KLR, and UNDER a V650....

Here are TWO personal accounts of a "dropped bike".

Number 1: - I was riding my KLR650 on the Forestry Trunk Rd in Alberta (ALONE, as usual!), and decided to have a look at a power-line right-of-way heading W from the road, and down a hill. I was NOT planning to ride down it - just wanted to have a look at where it went. I stopped BEFORE the downhill, put the bike onto its side-stand, walked over for a look, then got back on, and started riding, planning an uphill 180 turn to my left.

For those who haven't ridden a KLR - first gear is quite high, and, being a single, the KLR will sometimes do a STALL and FALL IF you're NOT slipping the clutch enough as you attempt the turn, which is what it DID! It fell down w/ the wheels on the HIGH side, w/ me rolling OFF, and downhill, so I wasn't under it, and not hurt.

No biggee - just pull it around till the wheels are low, then it's easy to stand it up and get back riding, except there was NO way that I could get it pulled around!

After a few minutes I realized that there was NOT A CHANCE IN HELL I could get the wheels low; I'm in the middle of no where, alone; so I considered the walk out, probably at least 20 miles...!

That wouldn't work, so I started looking for something to lever it up to where I could get my knees vertically braced under it, then continue from there to upright.

After 10 or 15 minutes I found a tree-limb about 3' long, 4" in diameter which I was able to wedge under the KLR, then lever it UP about 2 1/2 feet, get my knees under, then continue UP. Worked well, and I was soon on my way.

Number 2: Years ago I had begun "spinning my V650 around on its side-stand" so it would be pointed the right direction for leaving the garage, and I guess I was FORGETTING that it weighs near 500 pounds, as the "spinning" was working out PDG!

As the bike got to 90 degrees (sideways to the direction I was aiming for) the rear wheel came up against something, so rather than standing it UP, then rolling it a foot or two before continuing w/ the "spin", I foolishly figured I could just pull it away from the obstacle, then continue spinning it.

Worked GREAT for for probably the first couple of inches, and then the side-stand folded, and I went down w/ the WHOLE 500 POUNDS ON ME!, my head catching the 1/2" plywood bottom shelf on the workbench about half an inch in from its edge which probably saved my life... had it hit 2" in I would more-than-likely have broken my neck, and IF I had missed the shelf probably fractured my skull when it HIT the concrete floor!

As the doctor at EMERGENCY said to me - You REALLY scalped your self!!!

Here's where I caught that shelf w/ my head.

And here's what a scalped V rider looks like....

Fastoman, weljo2001 and dmer like this.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #20 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-03-2020, 05:06 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbmccrohan View Post
IMO this is a great topic and one that I worry a lot about when riding alone off pavement in the PNW. I just posted a comment to Ryan F9's latest vid: ...
You know that was his april's fool video, right?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode