• 1 Post By foxpro
  • 3 Post By fasteddiecopeman
  • 1 Post By RocketyMan
  • 1 Post By fasteddiecopeman

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-30-2020, 11:01 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Hide a key. And Insurance

Anyone find a good spot to hide extra keys for Ignition and luggage ? Who do you recommend for Insurance? i used Progressive last year but this year I am going to add towing ETC. for my trip. Is Progressive the best?

Smooth is fast.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-30-2020, 11:35 AM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Garage
Yes. I'm not telling where.

Everyone's insurance is going to be different. There are too many factors that insurance companies consider when quoting prices. The best thing you can do and get quotes at as many companies as you can for the same level of coverage and go with the best value.

Here are some of the things insurance companies consider when quoting insurance coverage.

- Education Level
- Credit rating
- Location of bike; Country, State, City, property, garage kept, etc.
- Number of bikes
- Age of rider
- Past Claims
- Traffic offenses
- Job

I am currently with Dairyland insurance. I have been with Allstate, Geico, Progressive, State Farm in the past. I shop around every year before renewal time.
foxpro, dpodom and mbjenkins like this.

My Versys Travels:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-30-2020, 11:45 AM

I had a bad experience with Progressive and will never use them again. YMMV, jmho.

Hiding a key depends on your configuration. I might carry a spare in the tank bag if I am going to always remove the tank bag when I am not on the bike. I don't like to make public where my spare is hidden. There are a multitude of places under the Gen 3 plastics where one could attach a key which would not be obvious.
RocketyMan and foxpro like this.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-30-2020, 11:52 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Canada / Ontario

When the markets crashed, the options walked. I had been with a broker for years, every year it went up. Every year I would find out the $$$$$$ about 1 week before it expired. So some staff made a mistake and sent the $$ cost to me while he was on vacation. I went through the roof, did some research and found a company that was over $100 less for identical coverage, on top of that I pay as I ride, first payment is march 2020, and auto debit each month with September being the last payment. It is Primmum Insurance but through TD , renews starting in February https://www.tdinsurance.com/customer-service/contact-us

One thing I can say, the cost varies by over $400 depending on where you live. I am in what is described as the Twin cities, because there are numerous very expensive bikes and many claims in this area, the $$ goes up. If I lived in Aylmer Ontario I could save $400 a year, same coverage. All kinds of other insureres out there, hey get your house and car insured with us, we will give you a deal, well many don't insure bikes, that deal on the bike may look good, but the house just went up $400 , yup been there done that,did I mention the insurance company wanting proof that my chimney was cleaned by a professional, yes the wood stove I haven't used in 8 years. Best to line all your ducks up in a row and make sure you don't have any mallards in the group
foxpro likes this.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-30-2020, 12:02 PM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by onewizard View Post
When the markets crashed, the options walked. I had been with a broker for years, every year it went up. Every year I would find out the $$$$$$ about 1 week before it expired. So some staff made a mistake and sent the $$ cost to me while he was on vacation. I went through the roof, did some research and found a company that was over $100 less for identical coverage, on top of that I pay as I ride, first payment is march 2020, and auto debit each month with September being the last payment. It is Primmum Insurance but through TD , renews starting in February https://www.tdinsurance.com/customer-service/contact-us

One thing I can say, the cost varies by over $400 depending on where you live. I am in what is described as the Twin cities, because there are numerous very expensive bikes and many claims in this area, the $$ goes up. If I lived in Aylmer Ontario I could save $400 a year, same coverage. All kinds of other insureres out there, hey get your house and car insured with us, we will give you a deal, well many don't insure bikes, that deal on the bike may look good, but the house just went up $400 , yup been there done that,did I mention the insurance company wanting proof that my chimney was cleaned by a professional, yes the wood stove I haven't used in 8 years. Best to line all your ducks up in a row and make sure you don't have any mallards in the group
Every insurer I have dealt with charges more if you don't pay the full amount up front. I always pay in full and put the money away monthly for the next year.
foxpro likes this.

My Versys Travels:

post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-30-2020, 12:04 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fly-Sig View Post
I had a bad experience with Progressive and will never use them again. YMMV, jmho.

Hiding a key depends on your configuration. I might carry a spare in the tank bag if I am going to always remove the tank bag when I am not on the bike. I don't like to make public where my spare is hidden. There are a multitude of places under the Gen 3 plastics where one could attach a key which would not be obvious.
Well that sucks, I was gonna be in Salt Lake next week
Fly-Sig likes this.

Smooth is fast.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-30-2020, 12:46 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Believe it or Not

Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheeladdict View Post
Every insurer I have dealt with charges more if you don't pay the full amount up front. I always pay in full and put the money away monthly for the next year.
The total cost per month is equal to the lump sum up front. This is a popular program
If You want I could scan the premium.March is $$$ plus $$$ each month through to September being the last month. The total is to the penny the same as if I paid a lump sum. No discount that I can find anywhere called Pay As You Ride. I make absolutely nothing in interest in the bank, but why draw a lump sum out once a year from my deposited pension, which may make that one month short as to free debit check cashing.
Both my son and I switched the same time. Insurance is a must in Ontario, no choice. The first time I asked, why February, that is just it, given a months notice if I want to shop around, and I have.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-30-2020, 05:54 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
I am currently with Dairyland insurance for the AZ Versys, and have been since '09. Around $300/year full coverage.

BC? You better be RICH...!

I have added a key to my Vs w/ a small amount of "GOOP", in an out-of-the-way place. IF I ever need it, I'll have my work cut out, but it IS there.
onewizard, quexpress and foxpro like this.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-31-2020, 11:38 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
Send a message via AIM to RocketyMan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fly-Sig View Post
+1 on the will never use Progressive again.

I figure the more an insurance has to advertise how "good" they are, the poorer their customer support is. I can't talk about specifics with my recent experience with Progressive...because of lawyer reasons...but maybe one day I will.
foxpro likes this.

2017 Kawasaki Versys 650
MODS: Thermo-Bob 3, Barkbusters Storm, Scorpion Slip-on Exhaust, Givi Rear Tire Hugger & Topcase Plate M7, T-Rex Racing: Engine Guard Crash Cages; Skid Plate; Front Axle Sliders
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-01-2020, 09:56 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketyMan View Post
+1 on the will never use Progressive again.

I figure the more an insurance has to advertise how "good" they are, the poorer their customer support is. I can't talk about specifics with my recent experience with Progressive...because of lawyer reasons...but maybe one day I will.
Interesting. I've had Progressive on my motorcycles for over ten years, the car and Roadtrek RV for over five.

I hit a critter(raccoon) with my old C-10 Connie and I had a check in less than 48 hours. This was about 6-7 years ago.

The wife had a collision with an airborne mud flap off of a large motor home on I-75. As it was still airborne it was covered under comprehensive. They referred my to a highly regarded body shop and the work and everything else was seamless and drama free.

There are also deductible forgiveness programs for being a long term customer.

This is all through an independent agent in Lake County, FL.

The two bikes with high liabilities and full coverage on the Versys and just liability and towing on the KLR runs just over $200 per year. I do not have uninsured motorist(very$$$) as US Medicare will cover that if necessary.

I did check with Markel(sp?) and Dairyland a couple of years ago. They were 50-100% more money and I would lose my "no deductible bonus".

As mentioned earlier, insurance is highly variable with a lot of things in play to determine rates, and likely level of service and hassle. My credit score is over 800 and I have a clean driving record.

Yeah, if you want true ram air tuning, you better be willing to ram some air! (SteveinSunnyFlorida)

'15 KLE650LT
'99 Concours(with 234,xxx miles on it), sold
'98 KLR650

And most of Canada too, eh?
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-01-2020, 04:13 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
...I have added a key to my Vs w/ a small amount of "GOOP", in an out-of-the-way place. IF I ever need it, I'll have my work cut out, but it IS there....
...and was checked while I was working on the bike the other day - STILL there!
Fly-Sig likes this.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode