Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

2019 Break-in Maintenance but Dealers are Closed

2K views 17 replies 8 participants last post by  Covinth 
#1 ·
I have about 1,300 miles on my '19 and I had intended to get the ~1,000 mi service last week while I was off work. But, insert complete economic shutdown. Since my dealer is closed I am wondering what all I can do, that would have been done by the dealer at the 1,000 miles service. This "work from home" situation is great for getting in 50-100 mi/day and I would like to be able to keep taking advantage of the opportunity issue free.

I dropped the oil at 98 miles and again at 600 miles. Given that the dealer service would have included an oil change I was planning on that oil change lasting until the point I switched to synthetic. I am thinking about going ahead with another oil change but I am also thinking it may be unnecessary currently given two previous oil changes. Thoughts?

I have checked clutch, throttle & brake cable tension. Visually inspected brake rotors & pads, tires, radiator & hoses, etc, etc...

What else can I check off of the break-in service check list without dealer-level tools & equipment?

#2 ·
Not sure were you are, but in NY they are still allowed to service bikes. Apparently, they are being strict about people coming into the premises, but I know that two dealers in my area are continuing to schedule service. In fact, I'm taking mine in on Wednesday for a new rear tire and oil change.
Hankster

#5 ·
Possibly the same here but I did not verify if powersport dealers are "essential services". Regardless, my shop is in the next town 45 minutes away and it would be a drop off & wait for the morning type of this, which is not happening in current conditions.

Stay safe up there in NY.

#3 ·
check all the nuts and bolts for tightness. cables, controls, wireing.... mostly a very close inspection. coolant and brake fluid levels too. tires & pressure. do the chain. I would put more miles on that oil.

Reactions: onewizard
#4 · (Edited)
...I dropped the oil at 98 miles and again at 600 miles. Given that the dealer service would have included an oil change I was planning on that oil change lasting until the point I switched to synthetic. I am thinking about going ahead with another oil change but I am also thinking it may be unnecessary currently given two previous oil changes. Thoughts?...
I would just run that oil for a bit longer (whatever you feel comfortable w/), then change up to synthetic. FWIW - I run Mobil1 15w-50 automobile oil (and have for WELL OVER 100,000 MILES among my three V650s), as do many other V riders.

:yeahsmile:

...I would put more miles on that oil....
What he said.

:clap:

#9 ·
and really... "fork" the dealer. learn to do at least the basics if you do not already know how. for the most part, there should never be a reason to go back to the dealer unless you are lazy. nothin' personal, it's just that I am not impressed by dealers for the most part, and it is far better for you in the long run if you know the bike

#10 · (Edited)
I pretty much agree, I do my own maintenance. That said, I've had three issue covered under warranty fixed at dealers. Davis Service Center in Montrose, CO for fork seals as well as Seminole in Eustis, FL. for warped front brake disc and clutch return spring have done an excellent job.

To expand on Davis, a couple of years earlier they installed tires on my KLR. The Shinkos were only about $10 over internet pricing, the install price(on the bike) was reasonable and the tech found a hanging up rear brake pad (ERC was having issues with too thick of plating in the hole for sliding for a while) that they charged only $15 to fix. This was all done with them knowing I was from out of town.

When I returned two years later for the fork seals warranty work, they were running behind in the shop so they had to put me off a day. As a bonus to me for having to put off the repair, they washed off two months of dirt from the bike, gratis. One other thing about that dealer that was pretty cool, pretty much everyone working there was there two years before. Lack of employee turnover is a good thing. The parts lady I dealt with had been there over twenty years and knew her stuff. One almost doesn't mind spending money there.

Sorry about the length but just like to put out a good word for Davis that went above and beyond, and Seminole that did meet expectations.

Now M&M cycles in Golden, BC can kiss my _ss. They ripped me off for $392 to change the oil, filter, and mount and balance two tires that I brought in, about $200 more than I was quoted on the phone.

#13 ·
I wholly agree with doing your own maintenance, but this is my first "new" bike & hence my first "break-in". Exactly why I asked what else would be done in a typical new bike service so that I can learn what I have not already covered; the dealer completing the service was intended to just dot the i's...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.