Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

New 650 LT

5K views 22 replies 17 participants last post by  MattR302 
#1 ·
Yesterday evening I bought a new from my local dealer 2019 Versys 650LT. It had 16 miles on it, I assume from test rides. Talked them down to $8255. I've already ordered T-Rex engine guards, luggage protectors and Oxford heated grips. After 190 miles today, I'm still not sure what to think of the stock seat.

I've never owned a parallel twin. Lots of thumpers and one inline four. I'm really impressed with this bike.

What are the most common modifications, upgrades, farkles that most people do? Is there anything I should be wary of?

Thanks.

#3 ·
I don't know how much the seat has changed since mine was made ('15) but the front was low. I raised it about an inch and have gotten by fine since. I keep meaning to get something better but it's just not bad enough to really motivate me I guess. I do 300 mile days pretty regular in the summer... though I have done longer days, thats about all I want on that seat. ymmv...

#6 ·
I also have a '19 and have had no issues sliding forward on the seat. In fact, I may slide back a bit. I do not know with surety but it appears they fixed the sliding issue of the seat with '19 or newer.
I had downloaded the seat block riser cad files but never printed the piece. Those files are available on this site and you can print them online to be delivered for ~$15.

All in all I find the seat to be comfortable for up to 200 miles, my normal riding length. If you're tall you will want to look into a new windscreen and there are tons of threads on those within this site.

#5 ·
Congrats on the purchase. Sounds like you got a great deal.

I’d add the following few “cheap’ish” farkles; a fender extender, radiator guard, flip up screen wind deflector, and maybe a rear hugger. Can get them from AliExpress for about 1/3 of the price vs. buying in the US.

I also added a Constands centerstand.

Ride safe,
Dave

#7 ·
congrats and welcome. on my wifes bike we added wind deflector, the kawasaki power port in the dash and a gear indicator(hers is a 2016 and doesn't come with one). also added a sargent lower seat, givi crash bars with a set of highway pegs on them. the next thing will to remove the stock tires and put something better on there. great bike...she loves it...me too when she lets me ride it.

#8 ·
You'll LOVE it! On the Gen3 s they 'fixed' a lot of issues, but removed wire-length whenever they could, making 'mods' a PITA! Older Vs had LOTS of extra wire-length!

Be nice to know IF they replaced the 'shunt' R/R w/ a 'series' one.

#9 ·
Not necessarily farkles but do change out the shunt voltage regulator for a series style, your stator coil will love you for it.

Before the two year factory warranty expires you can add up to 4 more years of full factory warranty(unlimited miles). I bough my 4 year extension for just over $400 from a dealer in Richardson, TX. about 2.5 years ago. Do shop around, they wanted over $800 in FLA for it. My plan is to have 100k miles on the bike and it will still be under warranty. :thumb:

Remove the metal clips that hold the front turn signal stalks to the fairing. The rubber only, holds just fine, even when travelling "over the ton".

Get with Shoodaben engineering(Google it) for an ECM reflash. There is a thread or two around here, it really helps the engine run as it "Shoodaben" from the factory. I'm not 100% sure it will work on a '19, however.

Reactions: quexpress
#12 ·
#11 ·
On my previous bike, Yamaha FZ6, I sent my seat off to www.terryscustomseats.com. Very pleased with his work, made a huge difference in all-day comfort. Although, if you did 190 miles in a day and are only feeling “not sure” of the stock seat, doesn’t seem that bad. If you said you did 80 miles and your ass was on fire and couldn’t wait to park it, I’d go to a custom seat ASAP. Unless you’re frequently doing high mileage days like that, maybe hold off on the aftermarket seat until you know for sure.

For only ~$10 more than the Oxfords, go for the Koso Apollo heated grips. The controller is integrated into the left grip so you don’t have a control box mounted on your handlebar.

#19 ·
#14 ·
I totally recommend the T-rex racing mods. I would like to add the Thermo-bob 3 should be a must. I do ALOT of cold weather riding, and this def helps with getting up to temperature faster and completely stabilizing it, even when in warmer weather.

If you feel like doing anything with your exhaust...unfortunately, I would stray away from the scorpion exhaust. It's trash.

#15 ·
I just received the T-Rex engine/luggage crash bars which I was really looking forward to installing this weekend. Problem is the temperature. I don't enjoy holding cold steel tubing when it is 42 degrees.

I have installed the Thermo-bob 2 on my 2009 KLR (which I am trying to sell) but have not heard that there is a temperature issue with the Versys 650. Since I live in MT I am curious.

#16 ·
#21 ·
Warranty / V650 2015

I added my ThermoBob at 5KM. Does it affect warranty? Only if you install it, don't follow instructions, put half of what came out back in and the motor ceases due to over temperature. Yes , the guy that bought my 07 had a friend along and asked if I was nuts , can't answer that, I am just 1 of those wizards>:). So it was surely obvious when i went in for service and I pointed it out. Absolutely nothing to worry about, it is a improvement . If you take the OEM tires off and throw them away and put better tires on, will warranty be affected, no again. Same with the chain, however if your new chain has a clip link, you install it the wrong way or the chain fails and your gear box is toast, yes you are SOL on warranty.

#22 ·
I have a 2012 (Gen 2). I couldn't live with the stock seat so sent it out to Seat Concepts for a re-work. Very happy and now have all day comfort. My other favorite mods have been the SW Motech hard cases, Leo Vince slip-on, MRA wind screen, and upgraded Progressive fork springs.

Congrats on your purchase and enjoy the ride. It is a great motorcycle!

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.