New 650 LT - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Like Tree11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-28-2020, 06:38 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Question New 650 LT

Yesterday evening I bought a new from my local dealer 2019 Versys 650LT. It had 16 miles on it, I assume from test rides. Talked them down to $8255. I've already ordered T-Rex engine guards, luggage protectors and Oxford heated grips. After 190 miles today, I'm still not sure what to think of the stock seat.

I've never owned a parallel twin. Lots of thumpers and one inline four. I'm really impressed with this bike.

What are the most common modifications, upgrades, farkles that most people do? Is there anything I should be wary of?

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-28-2020, 07:23 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
congratulations, And welcome.
dpodom likes this.

Smooth is fast.
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-28-2020, 08:30 PM

Garage
I don't know how much the seat has changed since mine was made ('15) but the front was low. I raised it about an inch and have gotten by fine since. I keep meaning to get something better but it's just not bad enough to really motivate me I guess. I do 300 mile days pretty regular in the summer... though I have done longer days, thats about all I want on that seat. ymmv...
dadsafrantic and dpodom like this.

if I'm answering your question I assume the basic points have been addressed, such as: did you do a compression test? is it still on fire?

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-29-2020, 08:04 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Congrats and enjoy your ride.

Since its has only 16km on the ODO, nothing to worry about and am sure its still under warranty. On what is needed, ride it as much as you can and you will know what is needed. Take your time and don't rush.
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-29-2020, 12:12 PM

Congrats on the purchase. Sounds like you got a great deal.

I’d add the following few “cheap’ish” farkles; a fender extender, radiator guard, flip up screen wind deflector, and maybe a rear hugger. Can get them from AliExpress for about 1/3 of the price vs. buying in the US.

I also added a Constands centerstand.

Ride safe,
Dave
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-29-2020, 12:24 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beezerboy View Post
I don't know how much the seat has changed since mine was made ('15) but the front was low. I raised it about an inch and have gotten by fine since. I keep meaning to get something better but it's just not bad enough to really motivate me I guess. I do 300 mile days pretty regular in the summer... though I have done longer days, thats about all I want on that seat. ymmv...
I also have a '19 and have had no issues sliding forward on the seat. In fact, I may slide back a bit. I do not know with surety but it appears they fixed the sliding issue of the seat with '19 or newer.
I had downloaded the seat block riser cad files but never printed the piece. Those files are available on this site and you can print them online to be delivered for ~$15.

All in all I find the seat to be comfortable for up to 200 miles, my normal riding length. If you're tall you will want to look into a new windscreen and there are tons of threads on those within this site.

Ride safe!
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-29-2020, 01:23 PM

Garage
congrats and welcome. on my wifes bike we added wind deflector, the kawasaki power port in the dash and a gear indicator(hers is a 2016 and doesn't come with one). also added a sargent lower seat, givi crash bars with a set of highway pegs on them. the next thing will to remove the stock tires and put something better on there. great bike...she loves it...me too when she lets me ride it.
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-29-2020, 03:16 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
You'll LOVE it! On the Gen3 s they 'fixed' a lot of issues, but removed wire-length whenever they could, making 'mods' a PITA! Older Vs had LOTS of extra wire-length!

Be nice to know IF they replaced the 'shunt' R/R w/ a 'series' one.

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-29-2020, 03:28 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Not necessarily farkles but do change out the shunt voltage regulator for a series style, your stator coil will love you for it.

Before the two year factory warranty expires you can add up to 4 more years of full factory warranty(unlimited miles). I bough my 4 year extension for just over $400 from a dealer in Richardson, TX. about 2.5 years ago. Do shop around, they wanted over $800 in FLA for it. My plan is to have 100k miles on the bike and it will still be under warranty.

Remove the metal clips that hold the front turn signal stalks to the fairing. The rubber only, holds just fine, even when travelling "over the ton".

Get with Shoodaben engineering(Google it) for an ECM reflash. There is a thread or two around here, it really helps the engine run as it "Shoodaben" from the factory. I'm not 100% sure it will work on a '19, however.
quexpress likes this.

Yeah, if you want true ram air tuning, you better be willing to ram some air! (SteveinSunnyFlorida)

'15 KLE650LT
'99 Concours(with 234,xxx miles on it), sold
'98 KLR650

And most of Canada too, eh?
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-29-2020, 08:12 PM

The list is a long one. A rear hugger for sure. Should be factory but it's not. Power ports, and the list goes on
post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-29-2020, 11:08 PM

On my previous bike, Yamaha FZ6, I sent my seat off to www.terryscustomseats.com. Very pleased with his work, made a huge difference in all-day comfort. Although, if you did 190 miles in a day and are only feeling “not sure” of the stock seat, doesn’t seem that bad. If you said you did 80 miles and your ass was on fire and couldn’t wait to park it, I’d go to a custom seat ASAP. Unless you’re frequently doing high mileage days like that, maybe hold off on the aftermarket seat until you know for sure.

For only ~$10 more than the Oxfords, go for the Koso Apollo heated grips. The controller is integrated into the left grip so you don’t have a control box mounted on your handlebar.
post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-30-2020, 06:06 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveJ View Post
...Remove the metal clips that hold the front turn signal stalks to the fairing. The rubber only, holds just fine, even when travelling "over the ton"....
Here are three pics of the metal 'bits' plus one of the back-side of the turn-signal w/ them removed....

IMG_0413 by Ed Copeman, on Flickr

IMG_0414 by Ed Copeman, on Flickr

IMG_0415 by Ed Copeman, on Flickr

IMG_0416 by Ed Copeman, on Flickr
onewizard likes this.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC

post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-31-2020, 09:07 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Garage
gas. keep plenty of gas in it and you'll figure the rest out. plenty of ideas around here. lot's of good tested examples and advice.

Dadsafrantic

2018 versys 650 lt
0 miles- 8/15/19

post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-31-2020, 11:23 PM

Garage
Send a message via AIM to RocketyMan
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpodom View Post
Yesterday evening I bought a new from my local dealer 2019 Versys 650LT. It had 16 miles on it, I assume from test rides. Talked them down to $8255. I've already ordered T-Rex engine guards, luggage protectors and Oxford heated grips. After 190 miles today, I'm still not sure what to think of the stock seat.

I've never owned a parallel twin. Lots of thumpers and one inline four. I'm really impressed with this bike.

What are the most common modifications, upgrades, farkles that most people do? Is there anything I should be wary of?

Thanks.
I totally recommend the T-rex racing mods. I would like to add the Thermo-bob 3 should be a must. I do ALOT of cold weather riding, and this def helps with getting up to temperature faster and completely stabilizing it, even when in warmer weather.

If you feel like doing anything with your exhaust...unfortunately, I would stray away from the scorpion exhaust. It's trash.

2017 Kawasaki Versys 650
MODS: Thermo-Bob 3, Barkbusters Storm, Scorpion Slip-on Exhaust, Givi Rear Tire Hugger & Topcase Plate M7, T-Rex Racing: Engine Guard Crash Cages; Skid Plate; Front Axle Sliders
post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-02-2020, 06:33 PM Thread Starter

I just received the T-Rex engine/luggage crash bars which I was really looking forward to installing this weekend. Problem is the temperature. I don't enjoy holding cold steel tubing when it is 42 degrees.

I have installed the Thermo-bob 2 on my 2009 KLR (which I am trying to sell) but have not heard that there is a temperature issue with the Versys 650. Since I live in MT I am curious.
post #16 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-02-2020, 07:58 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quote:
I just received the T-Rex engine/luggage crash bars which I was really looking forward to installing this weekend. Problem is the temperature. I don't enjoy holding cold steel tubing when it is 42 degrees.

I have installed the Thermo-bob 2 on my 2009 KLR (which I am trying to sell) but have not heard that there is a temperature issue with the Versys 650. Since I live in MT I am curious.
Lots have converted to the ThermoBob, unless you live in a area that never goes below 50'F , it is a worthwhile investment.
https://www.kawasakiversys.com/forum...o-install.html
post #17 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-03-2020, 05:37 AM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Garage
Welcome, and congrats. I had over $3000 in accessories and upgrades on my '11 Versys.

My Versys Travels:

post #18 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-03-2020, 05:01 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:

I had one of the first KLR Thermobobs. Then Bill (watt-man) began making them for the V650, so I had one of his first on my '08, as well as on my Gen 3 '15 V650 (the pics in his instructions were taken by me while working out the prototype HOW TO INSTALL it).

IMHO - they just make a PDG motorcycle even better!

-

http://www.watt-man.com/

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC

Last edited by fasteddiecopeman; 04-03-2020 at 05:03 PM.
post #19 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-03-2020, 07:02 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattR302 View Post
On my previous bike, Yamaha FZ6, I sent my seat off to www.terryscustomseats.com. Very pleased with his work, made a huge difference in all-day comfort. Although, if you did 190 miles in a day and are only feeling “not sure” of the stock seat, doesn’t seem that bad. If you said you did 80 miles and your ass was on fire and couldn’t wait to park it, I’d go to a custom seat ASAP. Unless you’re frequently doing high mileage days like that, maybe hold off on the aftermarket seat until you know for sure.

For only ~$10 more than the Oxfords, go for the Koso Apollo heated grips. The controller is integrated into the left grip so you don’t have a control box mounted on your handlebar.

I've had several seats from Terry and couldn't be happier. I had him make me a flat seat for my Versys 650 and also for my V-1000...I had 7 seats on my Versys 650. If you don't want to spend too much a Seat Concepts Kit works well also...

IMG_1503 by weljo2001, on Flickr

Terry's Custom Seat's Flat Seat For Versys 1000 by weljo2001, on Flickr

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

“The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits.” – Albert Einstein
post #20 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-04-2020, 09:48 AM Thread Starter

Does the thermo-bob affect the factory warranty?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode