Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

Weight of all the stuff you take with you.

2K views 16 replies 9 participants last post by  Rider_Dave 
#1 ·
I am getting all my gear together and weighing it all piece by piece to try to determine just what the total weight of everything ill be taking with me is going to gross out at.I am pretty sure it will be much, much less then the weight of a passenger when its all said and done.I have a set of Givi Hard cases and a Wolfman Boulder Beta rear bag and a Wolfman Rainier expandable Tank Bag.Also wondering what you guys take on the road as far as a tool kit goes?What would you consider to be too heavy?Ill go as light as possible but would like to get a idea. Thank you.

#3 ·

That and a pillion. Includes everything for 3 weeks trip to Nordkapp and back (approx. 7.000km) for 2 people, camping gear, emergency parts replacement (such as cables, tools, hoses, tyre repair kit, compressor, break, gear pedals, clutch and break levers, etc.), liter of oil, liter of coolant, gas stove and food for a day. Over 500kg with people.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#6 ·
Ive done a fair bit of mountain hiking and scrambling trips in the NW over the years. Consequently I have accumulated the lightest of solo camping gear as carrying all this stuff up and down mountains is painful. Stuff is expensive but Oh how you can cut the weight and bulk down. MEC,REI...they love me! When I transfer my "kit" to my Kawi got lots of room. If your riding to remote places then yea, think of packing tools and spare clutch cable,etc.

Attachments

#8 ·
Ill be more specific, I already have purchased lightweight gear such as backpacking sleeping bag, pad and tent even a small pillow. I also have a sleeping bag liner if it gets cold.All this stuff is for backpacking so it is light weight and compresses in stuff sacs.I do not intend to travel much off the asphalt only if the need be to get to a camping site.I figured every third day at a motel or somewhere I can get a shower(Truck Stop) I used to haul 10 western states as a owner operator step deck and RGN hauling machinery.From what I have gathered I should be fine with what I intend to take with me although I will be taking a tool kit from my BIG snap-on box bike specific. I was just curious what you think your total weight and what tools Versys specific you guys whom have done this take along with you .

#9 ·
Rode from Ft.Worth Tx to Los Angeles CA like this i didn't weigh it but the first day i only got off the bike 3 times to get something to drink and to pee because the bike was so top heavy it would almost tip over on the kick stand. So after 850 miles i got a room and when i packed the bike the next morning i made sure to not have the weight so high then finished the remaining 550 miles with no issues...

IMG_0135 by weljo2001, on Flickr

#13 ·
> too heavy?

10 years of cheap tuning got me:

One day mode: default kit is one 37 lbs tail bag (including self-rescue, axe, bowsaw, ...). High CG but narrow.

Travel mode: 2 side case are about 25lbs each + sometimes dry bag for regular clothes.
Shoving self rescue kit in (adv style), maybe 30lbs each, low CG.

Camping mode: if I add the 60L camping tail bag, that is +36 lbs high CG. That would be fine for pavement but camping means offroad, so I'm not happy.

#14 ·
Toolkit? Depends entirely on how self sufficient you need to be.

On-pavement near civilization: Fix flat tires, tighten anything that vibrates loose, adjust mirrors, basic chain lube. I carry an electric air pump, a small manual bicycle pump (in case the electric fails), 2 tire pressure gauges, a tire patch kit, a tire plug kit, Snap-jack, tire irons, bead-breaker (motion pro brand), wrenches, vice grips, screw drivers, rags, small chain lube, paper towels, disposable gloves, a piece of cardboard (to protect rear rim during chain lube then toss in trash). Duck-tape, regular & needle nose pliers, small socket wrench and sockets, hex wrenches, flashlight. A tire valve tool and spare cores is recommend by many though I've never had or needed them.

More remote and/or zombie apocalypse: Adjustable wrench and a larger socket wrench to remove rear wheel. Two chain master links and 2 links of chain, chain breaker tool, small voltmeter, spare clutch cable. Possibly a tire tube in case of major tire damage, though you will have to remove the existing valve and deal with a different size stem, so this is a pretty extreme case item. Repair or spare items for your camping equipment (fire starting, taping ripped tent or sleeping bag, spare batteries and flashlights, phone charging somehow, etc).

If you are going long long distances: Oil and spare filters.

#15 ·
I take a few extra tools when I'm going to be out of town & gone. I try to pick things that have more than one use, like the Motion Pro tire tools that have a box end wrench on the end. my stock tool kit didn't have anything to remove the front axle so had to add the big allen. the MP tire tool has an optional 3/8 drive fitting to make it a breaker bar. I also pack a 1/4" drive set, a couple good wrenches & screwdrivers, good pair of pliers, a hemostat, and a small Vicegrip. a couple files too. and a volt/ohm meter on long trips

I always carry the stick epoxy... the two part tootsie roll thing. I've patched a couple cracked cases/side covers with that. last year a friend lost his oil filler cap. I took the top off a MSR fuel bottle, rolled up a snake of epoxy, rubbed some on both sets of threads and stuck it together. didn't leak a drop in 1000 miles. the cap comes of & goes back on almost like stock (tighter)

I've been mostly using the factory panniers with one medium dry bag strapped on (that has tent & bag). I have also used my GiantLoop Coyote but it's not really an improvement on this bike (for me).

I carry a piece of old 1'2 foam sleeping mat about 18"x24" for the doorway to the tent. makes life easier getting in and out on my old knees & helps keep gravel out etc

for my ground cloth I got a piece of Tyvek(sp?) light and very tough.

Reactions: foxpro
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.