BrakeAway Cruise Control - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-17-2013, 10:15 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
BrakeAway Cruise Control

Has anyone tried the BrakeAway Cruise Control for their versys?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-18-2013, 08:00 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
It that a throttle lock, or an actual cruise control?

I have used throttle locks when I lived in Florida. They work well on roads with no elevation changes. Where I live now they wouldn't work well at all. Have to constantly move the throttle to maintain speed.

My Versys Travels:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 02-18-2013, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheeladdict View Post
It that a throttle lock, or an actual cruise control?

I have used throttle locks when I lived in Florida. They work well on roads with no elevation changes. Where I live now they wouldn't work well at all. Have to constantly move the throttle to maintain speed.
I seem to remember it being a throttle lock that gets released by using the brake lever. Seems like a good idea. I just checked and they do have a Versys model.

I've used a few types of throttle locks. On one bike I could slide my grip slightly to the left and it would "lock" (wouldn't return on its own). That was the simplest. I've had a Manic Salamander bar end unit that I never really liked--though their bar end weights are awesome. And I've got a Go Cruise which is the simplest and best I've seen lately.

On trips it's great if you need to do something with your throttle hand. But I almost never use it.

Old 02-18-2013, 11:13 PM

+1 on the Go Cruise. Simple and works.

GeneHil - Mount Dora, FL
2011 Kawasaki Versys
Viet Nam: Dec67-Dec68 & Jul69-Dec72
Old 02-19-2013, 08:32 AM

I have the Go Cruise as well. I also never use it, but it's there if I need it. The times I have used it, it works for a short amount of time before the bike starts to slow down. That isn't really a complaint because the times I've used it, I've only needed it for a short amount of time.

May the road always curve in front of you.
Old 02-19-2013, 08:42 AM

I've got one on my Versys. I'll post pics in a little bit. Its a generic clamp/friction type that I keep adjusted so that it just barely holds the throttle in position. I keep my hand on the throttle while I use it but it relieves the need to keep constant tension on my wrist. Its not precise and doesn't work as well as a throttlemeister(http://throttlemeister.com/) but it's a lot cheaper and does the same job.

I'm no diplomat
Old 02-19-2013, 08:46 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
At the risk of overstating the obvious
No matter how plain or fancy, a throttle lock is just that & only good for a short break on flat ground. They are not a replacement for an actual cruise control unit. With the go cruise; if you do something non-sensical like reaching across with your LEFT hand to set the speed it's possible to hit the kill switch. If you do that at 70 mph it can be very disconcerting until you figure out what happened. If you just reset the kill switch without releasing the lock it gets even more exciting.
Old 02-19-2013, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by genehil View Post
+1 on the Go Cruise. Simple and works.
+1
Old 02-19-2013, 02:40 PM Thread Starter

My appologies, yes it is a throttle lock but has the ability when pressing on the brake lever to release the throttle lock. The biggest issue is that it's expensive at about $199 USD.
Old 02-19-2013, 02:43 PM Thread Starter

I saw the Go Cruise advertised and on You Tube. At $10 versys (pardon the pun) $199, I'll give it a try.
Old 02-19-2013, 11:13 PM

If the Go Cruise slips, wrapping a rubber band around it will fix that. I used it over grip puppies for awhile, and when I removed them it would slip on regular sized grips until I added a rubber band.
Old 02-20-2013, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidg View Post
If the Go Cruise slips, wrapping a rubber band around it will fix that. I used it over grip puppies for awhile, and when I removed them it would slip on regular sized grips until I added a rubber band.
They now include the rubber band in the packaging of new ones too.

May the road always curve in front of you.
Old 02-20-2013, 12:36 PM

I have a Break Away on my 1700 Vulcan and it works great. Yes. expensive but I like it for that bike. On the Versys, I use a basic grip lock that just holds the throttle so I can rest a bit on long trips. Very cheap but works fine on the Versys.

"The Road Goes On Forever And The Party Never Ends"
IBA #23562

Old 02-25-2013, 10:17 AM

Universal $19 el cheapo throttle lock from Cyclegear. Cheap, simple and it works. Does not interfere with the grip heaters, stock bar-weights or hand guards
Attached Images
File Type: jpg phone 2 25 2013 065.jpg (46.8 KB, 160 views)
File Type: jpg phone 2 25 2013 051.jpg (36.6 KB, 141 views)
File Type: jpg phone 2 25 2013 048.jpg (46.3 KB, 161 views)

I'm no diplomat
Old 02-25-2013, 02:02 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
I mounted mine to the top bolt of the clamp/ mirror mount of my '09 master-cylinder, with a short piece of aluminum "pipe" for a spacer.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC09668.jpg (57.5 KB, 133 views)

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

Old 02-25-2013, 03:26 PM

Ha! that's the same one...one of them is mounted upside down. I bet it's mine

I'm no diplomat
Old 02-25-2013, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zatx View Post
I have the Go Cruise as well. The times I have used it, it works for a short amount of time before the bike starts to slow down.
Remove it every now and then and clean the part that grips your throttle... And the part of the throttle that gets gripped... it renews the overall grip. I just use whatever is available... 409 or Simple Green, etc..

Also... If you set it a little above where you want it to be... a cleaned up pairing will put you in the ballpark and keep you there. I had great luck on my cross country last summer.

GeneHil - Mount Dora, FL
2011 Kawasaki Versys
Viet Nam: Dec67-Dec68 & Jul69-Dec72
Old 02-27-2013, 08:04 PM

I have tried several different friction type throttle controls. I like Kaoko best. That coupled with a cramp buster provides a lot of relief on a long trip.

http://www.kaoko.com/
Old 02-27-2013, 11:08 PM

Owned several both styles

I have the Brake-away on my 09 versys. Love it. Like the brake lever release as well as the "push button". I have the throttlemeister on my FZ1, it does what it needs to do, after 30,000 miles had to change the shim/grip assembly. It was starting to creep slow when engaged. Works fine now, just keep the shims from the kit they send you. Back to the Brake-away this in my opinion is the best next to an actual electronic cruise. If giving the chance I will install on the FZ1 just for the ease of release/engagement. As far as using with heated grips/ not sure, but where there is will there is a way. I'll cross that bridge when I get to it.
Old 02-28-2013, 10:32 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by aka Yamadog View Post
Universal $19 el cheapo throttle lock from Cyclegear. Cheap, simple and it works. Does not interfere with the grip heaters, stock bar-weights or hand guards
Have one of those ... But you forgot to point out that it also look fukgly

LOP
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in