• 8 Post By silviefox
  • 2 Post By silviefox

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-17-2020, 11:27 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to silviefox
about damn time

well i made a big mistake this winter and ignored my tender that was plugged into sylvester. i guess at some point it (after 14 years of use) finally crapped out and when i came home from work i could hear a fain chirping sound. turns out it was the alarm letting out its last whimpering of death. battery is completely dead. like so dead my V meter in the dash wont even turn on. so i finally pulled the battery out and looked at the day on it......... 23rd week of.............(drum roll) 2004!!!!! i mean really?!?!?! the battery is 4 years older then the bike XD
just shows if you take care of them keep them on a tender when your not using the bike for more then a week they truly will last.
but i honestly have fairly good luck with vehicle batteries. the ones in my good ol guzzly (76 gmc k25) are 10 and 14 y/o only been put on a charger once and that thing only gets used once a month to haul a $hit tank about a mile round trip lol

so slapped a new battery in sylvester let it warm up for its first time after winter then took it out to the highway (i live directly on) ripped a 2nd gear clutch up then pingged it to red line thru 3rd 4th and 5th gear. brought him back home did a nice smoky burn out. then discovered my front tires almost completely flat best way to wake them up from there winter nap right?

yes im a guy.
Silvie=latin for. Of the forest /woods. Fox= Vulpine (also my middle name)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"closed mindedness causes bliss in simple minded people"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-18-2020, 12:47 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Welcome Back

Quote:
Originally Posted by silviefox View Post
well i made a big mistake this winter and ignored my tender that was plugged into sylvester. i guess at some point it (after 14 years of use) finally crapped out and when i came home from work i could hear a fain chirping sound. turns out it was the alarm letting out its last whimpering of death. battery is completely dead. like so dead my V meter in the dash wont even turn on. so i finally pulled the battery out and looked at the day on it......... 23rd week of.............(drum roll) 2004!!!!! i mean really?!?!?! the battery is 4 years older then the bike XD
just shows if you take care of them keep them on a tender when your not using the bike for more then a week they truly will last.
but i honestly have fairly good luck with vehicle batteries. the ones in my good ol guzzly (76 gmc k25) are 10 and 14 y/o only been put on a charger once and that thing only gets used once a month to haul a $hit tank about a mile round trip lol

so slapped a new battery in sylvester let it warm up for its first time after winter then took it out to the highway (i live directly on) ripped a 2nd gear clutch up then pingged it to red line thru 3rd 4th and 5th gear. brought him back home did a nice smoky burn out. then discovered my front tires almost completely flat best way to wake them up from there winter nap right?
Good thing you noted the air pressure. I added the tire pressure monitor last year, I can't get over how well it works, charged it something like August 2019, it is still showing full charge, just bump the bike, any vibration and it comes on. It was something like $35 .US delivered
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-18-2020, 01:23 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Where you been?
I always counted on you and Uncle Joe to keep me grounded.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-18-2020, 04:57 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by onewizard View Post
Good thing you noted the air pressure. I added the tire pressure monitor last year, I can't get over how well it works, charged it something like August 2019, it is still showing full charge, just bump the bike, any vibration and it comes on. It was something like $35 .US delivered
lol i might have too look into adding those with my next set of tires. (tho i still just do the old squeeze the tire to test the pressure test lol)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLACK DOG View Post
Where you been?
I always counted on you and Uncle Joe to keep me grounded.
meh just been busy, work has been hell, lots of 6 day weeks and on top of that just dont really use my computer much

yes im a guy.

post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-18-2020, 10:50 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Glad you are back and all went well with your ride minus the flat tire/ battery.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-18-2020, 11:06 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastoman View Post
Glad you are back and all went well with your ride minus the flat tire/ battery.
xD tire wasnt fully flat just down to a PSI under 10 battery also wasnt flat... it was actually kinda bloated on the sides ........just like my husband
onewizard and Fastoman like this.

yes im a guy.

post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-19-2020, 09:24 AM

Quote:
well i made a big mistake this winter and ignored my tender that was plugged into sylvester.
Sylvester...love it.

Any relation to Calhoun?

Cookin Wid Gas

2015 V-650 of course it's green...it's a Kazawalski.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-19-2020, 03:21 PM

You are so bad..."Just like my husband" Does he ever read this forum?

Good to see your voice. I had not been on the Forum since last Spring and started posting again back in February. Still got my '09, and the Beastie is running fine. I still have the original battery and start the girl up every 2 - 3 weeks through the winter, but it's not firing up on the first touch of the starter, so I was thinking it was my battery. However, when I put the tender on it remained green all the time, and when I put the volt meter on the battery it appears to be properly charged and charges up to normal levels when running. I'm thinking of changing out the plugs. Take care. How bad was your winter this year?

rayj
2009 Versys (Mine's Green)
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-19-2020, 03:51 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quote:
...(tho i still just do the old squeeze the tire to test the pressure test lol)....
I check my tires just before EVERY ride, the way truckers do - I have a rubber mallet that I hit them w/...!

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-19-2020, 08:48 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkerjet View Post
Sylvester...love it.

Any relation to Calhoun?
lol no it was the name my husband gave the bike when i was working out the trade to get it because he couldnt remember versys xD

yes im a guy.

post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-19-2020, 08:53 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by rayj View Post
You are so bad..."Just like my husband" Does he ever read this forum?

Good to see your voice. I had not been on the Forum since last Spring and started posting again back in February. Still got my '09, and the Beastie is running fine. I still have the original battery and start the girl up every 2 - 3 weeks through the winter, but it's not firing up on the first touch of the starter, so I was thinking it was my battery. However, when I put the tender on it remained green all the time, and when I put the volt meter on the battery it appears to be properly charged and charges up to normal levels when running. I'm thinking of changing out the plugs. Take care. How bad was your winter this year?
xD nope he sure doesnt unless i send him a link to a post on here . and good to see you again to my man. it could still be your battery i know mine last year was starting to start the bike a bit slower then it use to (tho still always started it up) and the winter was really nothing this year compared to the past few but it sure stuck around longer then it normally has (just cold and wet) tho we did get some last snow for 2 days last week and now its back to being "spring" again

yes im a guy.

post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-19-2020, 08:56 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
I check my tires just before EVERY ride, the way truckers do - I have a rubber mallet that I hit them w/...!
thats bike abuse and you should be put in time out....... you should check your tires like a doctor checks for a hernia. give them a squeeze and tell it to cough

yes im a guy.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode