New bike experiences! - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By foxpro
  • 1 Post By brwster

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-28-2020, 01:34 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
New bike experiences!

Last weekend I had the dreaded "bike falls down while warming up" experience; apparently I had become too complacent with the kickstand's ability to keep the bike from rolling forward on a slight decline. This lesson is costing me about $250 including the bonus of breaking the left step as well as the cowling where the turn signal mount busted out. Hopefully that's the extent of my learning for a bit.

Anyway, while I'm waiting for the replacement parts (and removing the metal bracket in the other front turn signal mount) I'm thinking of trying a handguard that incorporates turn signals. Tusk makes one for $85 - TUSK D-FLEX PRO HANDGUARDS W/TURN SIGNALS. Have any of you all used anything like this? And is it a good replacement for the OEM turn signals?

Also, I bought my '15 650V about a year ago and have always felt a little cramped - is there an easy way to tell if it has been lowered? I could measure the seat height but not sure if it's an OEM seat. I got the bike from a dealer who had little info on its history.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-28-2020, 02:14 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Garage
If its been lowered theres a good chance the kickstand has been cut to shorten it. Post a photo and theres a good chance we can tell if its the OEM seat....

2009 Blue Versys.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

“The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits.” – Albert Einstein
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-28-2020, 02:51 PM Thread Starter

Thanks.

Seat height measures 31.5" and I read that spec is 33.1". Assuming it has been lowered, and not knowing which kit was used would it be a big job to un-lower the bike?

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-28-2020, 02:54 PM Thread Starter

hmmm... pics didn't stick to prior reply. Maybe now?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20200228_123201.jpg (61.1 KB, 45 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20200228_123211.jpg (69.4 KB, 41 views)
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-28-2020, 02:56 PM

ONLY $250? Man, you got lucky....
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-28-2020, 11:16 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by brwster View Post
hmmm... pics didn't stick to prior reply. Maybe now?
That custom seat is a Seth Laam seat.

He made 3 seats for me over the years and they are fantastic.

The chevron pattern is his trademark.

You are a lucky man.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PICT0608.jpg (64.7 KB, 31 views)
File Type: jpg PICT0609.jpg (71.8 KB, 26 views)

Cookin Wid Gas

2015 V-650 of course it's green...it's a Kazawalski.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-29-2020, 11:11 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quote:
Last weekend I had the dreaded "bike falls down while warming up" experience; apparently I had become too complacent with the kickstand's ability to keep the bike from rolling forward on a slight decline. This lesson is costing me about $250 including the bonus of breaking the left step as well as the cowling where the turn signal mount busted out. Hopefully that's the extent of my learning for a bit.

Anyway, while I'm waiting for the replacement parts (and removing the metal bracket in the other front turn signal mount) I'm thinking of trying a handguard that incorporates turn signals. Tusk makes one for $85 - TUSK D-FLEX PRO HANDGUARDS W/TURN SIGNALS. Have any of you all used anything like this? And is it a good replacement for the OEM turn signals?

Also, I bought my '15 650V about a year ago and have always felt a little cramped - is there an easy way to tell if it has been lowered? I could measure the seat height but not sure if it's an OEM seat. I got the bike from a dealer who had little info on its history.
As to lowered, that stand looks original. Look at the shock side of the bike , I will post a photo of the lowering link, if you don't have a lowering link it isn't lowered. I am 5'7" and many taller people use lowering pegs and bar risers. The seat is not original .
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-29-2020, 01:08 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
IF your V650 is lowered, there is a piece between the BOTTOM of the rear-shock, and the swing-arm (on the RIGHT side, of course!).

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-29-2020, 02:08 PM Thread Starter

so I'm guessing this is the lowering link you're referring to. I'm also imagining that it's a fairly involved job to remove it?

Also, for anyone new to the 'dropped bike / broke cowling' club, it is possible to do a half-way decent repair with a little epoxy and some fiberglass cloth (both sides of the cowling) once you get the broken pieces back in place along side the signal mount. This is plenty strong enough to get me back on the road at least until the new cowling arrives, and looks good enough that I won't rush into replacing it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cowling_repair.jpg (60.4 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpg lowering_link.jpg (72.4 KB, 32 views)
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-29-2020, 08:30 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Yes! your bike is lowered and that;s the lowering link .
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-29-2020, 10:41 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
You can sell that lowering link to help with your repair costs.
jaaklucas likes this.

Smooth is fast.
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-01-2020, 11:41 AM
Super Moderator

Lowering reversal / Repair

Quote:
so I'm guessing this is the lowering link you're referring to. I'm also imagining that it's a fairly involved job to remove it?

Also, for anyone new to the 'dropped bike / broke cowling' club, it is possible to do a half-way decent repair with a little epoxy and some fiberglass cloth (both sides of the cowling) once you get the broken pieces back in place along side the signal mount. This is plenty strong enough to get me back on the road at least until the new cowling arrives, and looks good enough that I won't rush into replacing it.
Yes done both
. The reversal is really easy if you have a scissor jack and a small piece of 1/2 or 3/4 plywood. Not sure about you kick stand, https://www.kawasakiversys.com/forum...dy-others.html about post 27

The link is easy

The forks that is a different story, if done correctly, the forks were raised something like a inch. You need either a triple tree stand or overhead support , be aware the 2015 the forks are different, the front brake side is easy , watch out for the clutch side. Do not attempt to do this without a means of raising using the front using the handle bars or front frame. The front fork tubes should be almost flush with the top clamp, here is my 2015 with the forks in the lowered position.

As to repair, I used JB Plastic weld ,and fiberglass cloth, work the plastic weld in, also use a fine sand paper on the areas that get the cloth for bonding purposes. I still have my left side cowling. If you want I could take a inside and outside photo. It lasted over 1 year, the only reason to change it was the new one was sitting on the shelf.
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-01-2020, 12:57 PM Thread Starter

Yep... front suspension has been lowered as well - forks are raised 1.25" above the top clamp. I visited the Motowerk site and downloaded instructions for lowering both front and rear suspension, so I see what I have to do. Also, my kickstand has the Motorwerk shortening insert so the job was apparently done with a Motowerk kit.

Anyone out there have an original '15 650V kickstand they want to sell?

Not sure when I'm going to get this done, but at some point I'll have what I believe to be a Motorwerk lowering kit with kickstand for sale if anyone's interested.

Thanks all for your input!!! The people on this forum are the best!
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-01-2020, 04:40 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Also, I bought my '15 650V about a year ago and have always felt a little cramped - is there an easy way to tell if it has been lowered? I could measure the seat height but not sure if it's an OEM seat
I suspect your cramped feeling is caused by your custom seat, not the lowering kit. I have the lowering kit on my 2016LT. This did not lower the bikes seat in relationship from the seat to pegs, only the bike to the ground. In other words it didn't make things feel cramped.I did add Motowerks peg lowering kit and it really opened up the triangle.I really like the lowering kit as it's lowered the center of gravity and takes away most of the top heavy feeling the bike has in its stock form. Much easier to flat foot and maneuver in parking lots, etc. I don't need the extra ground clearance for off road and I've not yet dragged the pegs through sharp lean angles.

Last edited by fasteddiecopeman; 03-02-2020 at 02:21 PM.
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-01-2020, 05:04 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
This did not lower the bikes seat in relationship from the seat to pegs, only the bike to the ground.
hmmm... that makes sense. It would be relative wouldn't it. (And what good are most relatives, anyway?)

I had looked at those Motowerk peg lowering things before - maybe I'll give them a try.

Thanks!
Buffalo_Bob likes this.
post #16 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-02-2020, 01:44 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Back to your question about hand guards with built in Turn signals, I got the Acerbus Dual Road Hand Guards with the turn signal inserts a couple of years ago. They are not meant to replace your turn signal, just enhance the visibility. I think they are becoming very common on other similar bikes, and strongly suggest getting them. You end up taking out the bar weights which I had already done when I put in bar end mirrors temporarily a few years back. see attached pics.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PB061407.jpg (49.3 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg PB061409.jpg (49.0 KB, 10 views)

rayj
2009 Versys (Mine's Green)
post #17 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-02-2020, 04:37 PM
Super Moderator

China Version/ Running and signal

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayj View Post
Back to your question about hand guards with built in Turn signals, I got the Acerbus Dual Road Hand Guards with the turn signal inserts a couple of years ago. They are not meant to replace your turn signal, just enhance the visibility. I think they are becoming very common on other similar bikes, and strongly suggest getting them. You end up taking out the bar weights which I had already done when I put in bar end mirrors temporarily a few years back. see attached pics.
No relay required between signal and running lights, roughly a 1.5 second delay for the white to come back on after signal cancellation.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode