Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

2017 Ninja 650 Rear Seat Won't Unlock

8K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  onewizard 
#1 · (Edited)
2017 Ninja 650 Rear Seat Won't Unlock ***SOLVED***

Hello all!

My rear seat is stuck and I can't even turn the key more than a few centimeters. I have a feeling my registration or part of my tool kit might be caught on the latch. I don't have much junk in the trunk but I took it off yesterday and now it won't unlock. I tried yanking and sitting on it while turning the key with no avail. I am leaning towards taking it to a locksmith to have them take a look or perhaps even drilling out and replacing the lock. However, I am heavily leaning towards cutting apart the rear seat and using a hot knife to carefully cut through the plastic shell in order to find and remove whatever is jammed. I found used and aftermarket seats/seat cowls for about $50 so I think that'd be cheaper than getting a new lock + labor. I was also thinking of putting it on a rear stand and wacking the rear seat with a dead blow hammer while turning the key to maybe loosen whatever is stuck.

I am all ears and would like any other suggestions or input. Let me know if my plans won't work or are badly thought out.

So, I put the bike up on a rear stand and hit the seat near and on the seat latch while I had the key turned. After about 20 hard hits or so the key finally turned all the way. And as I suspected, a part of the tool kit was stuck on the latch...

Thanks!

See less See more
#5 ·
Stick my Neck Out

One thing I have learned, the seat front can exert pressure on the latch mechanism if it isn't inserted right at the front. I have taken banged on the front then pulled it forward. With the seat too far to the rear, the latch is at the almost fully open position. Having said that, your key should rotate. The other possibility is you have a manual or tool case on the latch. I would attempt to exert a slight pressure on the key while banging on the seat, this jarring action should release the latch.I had this when I first modified my seat, I am 200 LB, sitting on the seat didn't do it, my fist banging did.

#6 ·
One thing I have learned, the seat front can exert pressure on the latch mechanism if it isn't inserted right at the front. I have taken banged on the front then pulled it forward. With the seat too far to the rear, the latch is at the almost fully open position. Having said that, your key should rotate. The other possibility is you have a manual or tool case on the latch. I would attempt to exert a slight pressure on the key while banging on the seat, this jarring action should release the latch.I had this when I first modified my seat, I am 200 LB, sitting on the seat didn't do it, my fist banging did.
I tried hitting it prior to this post and had no luck. I put the bike up on a rear stand and hit it with a dead blow hammer because I figured it'd be more effective and my fist would not be banged up several hits. The rear stand was in case the side stand slipped. I was ready for a hundred blows so my fist would have been sore and weaker with every consecutive hit but I'm glad it worked much sooner.

Cheers

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.