Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By GerryB
  • 1 Post By counterattack

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-19-2020, 05:14 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
2017 Ninja 650 Rear Seat Won't Unlock ***SOLVED***

Hello all!

My rear seat is stuck and I can't even turn the key more than a few centimeters. I have a feeling my registration or part of my tool kit might be caught on the latch. I don't have much junk in the trunk but I took it off yesterday and now it won't unlock. I tried yanking and sitting on it while turning the key with no avail. I am leaning towards taking it to a locksmith to have them take a look or perhaps even drilling out and replacing the lock. However, I am heavily leaning towards cutting apart the rear seat and using a hot knife to carefully cut through the plastic shell in order to find and remove whatever is jammed. I found used and aftermarket seats/seat cowls for about $50 so I think that'd be cheaper than getting a new lock + labor. I was also thinking of putting it on a rear stand and wacking the rear seat with a dead blow hammer while turning the key to maybe loosen whatever is stuck.

I am all ears and would like any other suggestions or input. Let me know if my plans won't work or are badly thought out.

So, I put the bike up on a rear stand and hit the seat near and on the seat latch while I had the key turned. After about 20 hard hits or so the key finally turned all the way. And as I suspected, a part of the tool kit was stuck on the latch...

Thanks!

Last edited by counterattack; 02-21-2020 at 07:48 PM. Reason: Fixed the problem and would like to update everyone
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-19-2020, 05:17 PM Thread Starter

I have also considered removing the fairings but to get to the ones under the rear seat I need to have the seats already removed to access some screws. So I don't think that is a viable option as fairings are pretty expensive.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-19-2020, 07:49 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Try pulling and pushing the seat while turning the key, which might release the jammed hook. Try to be a bit gentle in your approach so that you getting the feeling of what might be jammed.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-20-2020, 10:59 AM

I have learned to be careful of packing under the seat based on this thread.

Gerry
quexpress and counterattack like this.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-20-2020, 07:29 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Stick my Neck Out

One thing I have learned, the seat front can exert pressure on the latch mechanism if it isn't inserted right at the front. I have taken banged on the front then pulled it forward. With the seat too far to the rear, the latch is at the almost fully open position. Having said that, your key should rotate. The other possibility is you have a manual or tool case on the latch. I would attempt to exert a slight pressure on the key while banging on the seat, this jarring action should release the latch.I had this when I first modified my seat, I am 200 LB, sitting on the seat didn't do it, my fist banging did.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-21-2020, 07:53 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by onewizard View Post
One thing I have learned, the seat front can exert pressure on the latch mechanism if it isn't inserted right at the front. I have taken banged on the front then pulled it forward. With the seat too far to the rear, the latch is at the almost fully open position. Having said that, your key should rotate. The other possibility is you have a manual or tool case on the latch. I would attempt to exert a slight pressure on the key while banging on the seat, this jarring action should release the latch.I had this when I first modified my seat, I am 200 LB, sitting on the seat didn't do it, my fist banging did.
I tried hitting it prior to this post and had no luck. I put the bike up on a rear stand and hit it with a dead blow hammer because I figured it'd be more effective and my fist would not be banged up several hits. The rear stand was in case the side stand slipped. I was ready for a hundred blows so my fist would have been sore and weaker with every consecutive hit but I'm glad it worked much sooner.

Cheers
Fastoman likes this.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-22-2020, 08:50 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Success

Quote:
Originally Posted by counterattack View Post
I tried hitting it prior to this post and had no luck. I put the bike up on a rear stand and hit it with a dead blow hammer because I figured it'd be more effective and my fist would not be banged up several hits. The rear stand was in case the side stand slipped. I was ready for a hundred blows so my fist would have been sore and weaker with every consecutive hit but I'm glad it worked much sooner.

Cheers
I assume success?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode