50 Ways to Save Your Life - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-03-2008, 04:03 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
50 Ways to Save Your Life

http://www.motorcyclistonline.com/ho...ays/index.html

Don't just read it---copy and paste and print it out and memorize it!

Take riding seriously.

Also pass this on to as many MC riders that you know; you might be saving someone else's life as well.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-03-2008, 06:28 PM

Good advice. BAD HABITS are hard to break, BONES aren't.

Regarding visibility, I learned some very valuable information when I took the MC safety course 2 years ago. It seems bright yellow is one of the best colors for being noticed. I wear a solid yellow helmet with a yellow reflective wind screen and have 2 yellow jackets for the appropriate seasons. It has made a huge difference in reduction of close encounters of the 4 wheel kind.

Also the bright yellow helmet reflects the sun's heat better as the temperature outside approaches 100F in the summer....that's important, I've only got so many brain cells to spare.

Don't forget High beam light on in the daytime, ALWAYS!
post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-03-2008, 11:04 PM Thread Starter

Stoneoakvet,

Good advice Stony, I'm also a cyclist and I've been wearing high visibility vests for over 20 years. I too have my black full face helmet covered with high visibility lime-yellow 2" strips that are Velcroed on and they stay on.

As soon as I figure out how to post a pic in this forum I'll take a pic of said helmet so you can drool. please ignore the scratches lol

I want to hear from others that have read the "50 ways to save you life" list and if you have anything to add; please post them and I'll add it to the pdf file and post an update.

Who knows, we might reach a hundred with all the mileage that's been ridden here.

post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-04-2008, 10:16 AM

I agree that it's important to wear brightly colored gear but, as everyone knows, there are alot of blind spots in cars and SUVs. Consider also making yourself heard with louder pipes or an aftermarket airhorn. I know there have been times that I have heard a bike long before seeing it.
post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-04-2008, 02:02 PM

Had quick look at the list very good life saver there.
The problem i have is living near the dock lots of trucks dropping wood rope nails and bits of cargo on the road.
always leave loads of room in front when following any car or truck due to junk on the road round here?
post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-04-2008, 08:29 PM Thread Starter

Jeremy / Crazyhorse,

Distance is a huge way to save yourself from disaster Crazyhorse---good point

Jeremy I agree with loudness, the last KLR650 I had it had an air horn and came in handy many times while living in Orange County Ca. I would like to get aftermarket pipes when I get my Versys but I'll wait till the one year warranty is up before making that mod. Warranty states: ANY modifications to your bike VOIDS the warranty. I sure hate to fry the engine due to any mod I make.

Of course, Kawasaki HAS to prove that the mod caused the failure but you know how expensive lawsuits are; if your complaint doesn't go smoothly.

Last edited by dstarman; 05-07-2008 at 02:06 AM.
post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-06-2008, 09:42 PM

Thanks for the post. #1 is my motto.

2008 BMW R1200RT
2008 Kawasaki Versys
2002 BMW R1150RT
2002 Suzuki VStrom DL1000 (Gone)
2002 Harley FXDWG Wide Glide (Gone)
2002 Harley 883 Sportster (Gone)
post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-12-2008, 02:37 AM

My number one rule of riding has always been "Assume that everyone and everything else on the road is trying to kill you"
Excellent list, thanks for posting that, dstarman!!!
A couple of additions of my own here...
From my MSF class years ago...Always ride with you brights on in the daytime. I had a guy pull me over at a gas station to tell me my lights were annoying him when I was behind him, and I should turn off my brights...I told him I would rather been annoy him than not be seen by him.
An auto blinking device for your brake light is a great idea, and helps a lot.
post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-17-2013, 12:41 AM

Reminder.
post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-17-2013, 01:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stoneoakvet View Post
Don't forget High beam light on in the daytime, ALWAYS!
That one is controversial. I'm sure you can find arguments about it on many motorcycle forums. Like this. I think both sides are presented there, so I'll let it speak for itself.
post #11 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-17-2013, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motodevil View Post
From my MSF class years ago...Always ride with you brights on in the daytime. I had a guy pull me over at a gas station to tell me my lights were annoying him when I was behind him, and I should turn off my brights...I told him I would rather been annoy him than not be seen by him.
I was told the opposite in my MSF class. Annoying others is NOT a good safety technique. It can induce road rage.

"Veni, Vidi, Velcro"-- I came, I saw, I stuck around.
post #12 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-17-2013, 01:41 PM

+100 on #34. Slippery surfaces have been the source of just about every two wheeled crash I've suffered, since the training wheels came off the Schwinn. Ice, gravel, hydroplaning, and the like.
post #13 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-17-2013, 01:59 PM

Most of those are pretty darn solid tips. #45 though, I wouldn't necessarily recommend. I know a lot of people keep their bikes in gear at a stop, and putting down the kickstand to trigger the light would also kill the engine on most modern bikes. If the light won't turn for me after 3-5 minutes and the coast is clear, I'll usually just run it. I think some states actually have laws that say you can run the red on a motorcycle if you wait a certain amount of time.

2012 Kawasaki Versys 650 - 20,500 miles
2000 Volvo V70XC 2.4T - 258,000 miles
post #14 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-17-2013, 03:20 PM
MTS

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
( RIDE FREE BE SAFE )
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #15 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-17-2013, 05:05 PM

Lane position:
Use the whole lane, change your position to best be seen. Remember, if you can't see around the vehicle ahead, no one up there can see you either so position yourself in the lane so you can see the most road and any cross traffic (or left turners) ahead.
When approaching cross traffic (or left turners) wiggle back and forth in your lane. It does two things, if they see you they think "what the hell is he doing" which means they noticed you, the other thing, human eyes pick up side to side movement better than movement straight towards them, by wiggling, you creat side to side motion.
If you are going through an area of cross traffic such as an intersection, go through with another vehicle, either one travelling the same direction or the opposite direction, because people seldom pull out into or infront of TWO vehicles they didn't see.

Side bar:
I used to ride with high beams in the daytime and I changes because of popular opinion. Enough riders told me (in a heated discussion on another forum) that it distracted and annoyed them so I stopped. I still don't think hi beams are distracting but if enough people think it is, then maybe it is. They may be too easily distracted but I figure if they are, so is most of the population, so I went to low beams and haven't noticed a change in the number of people not seeing me.
Don't be afraid to change something if you think you should.

Another side bar:
Number 43 is the reason I don't endorse filtering. I know everyone wants to move to the front and be the first one off the line but being the first one in the intersection all by yourself is absolutely not the safest place to be.

Last edited by ray h; 10-17-2013 at 05:22 PM.
post #16 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-17-2013, 06:17 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Send a message via Skype™ to kiwi 41
Good advice, got confused for a sec why lefts turning cars are leading cause of bike deaths but remembered this advice is for those countries driving on wrong side of the road
post #17 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-17-2013, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwi 41 View Post
Good advice, got confused for a sec why lefts turning cars are leading cause of bike deaths but remembered this advice is for those countries driving on wrong side of the road
Brings up a good point.
Don't ride on the wrong side of the road.
post #18 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-18-2013, 05:18 AM

thanks for the advice guys
post #19 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-18-2013, 02:01 PM

Good post, think participating in traffic safety MC courses every now and then is also a good thing to do. Check if there are any in your areas and try it.

For example, in Sweden there are these occasions:

http://www.svmc.se/school/ (translations exist, but seems auto-translated so some words might look funny).

Last edited by hjortronet; 10-18-2013 at 02:08 PM.
post #20 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-18-2013, 03:33 PM

The motorcycle photo on the link you provided looks like an old Honda CBX, that's awesome.
Pennsylvania offers the MSA courses free of charge, not many places in the U.S. do that. I took advantage of that last year and took the advanced riders course. It was a nice refresher for me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode