Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

FODSPORTS GPS - Chinese made

13K views 12 replies 10 participants last post by  twowheels 
#1 ·
Have any of you tried this GPS, and if so - good, bad, or indifferent?

Do you pay to upload new maps? Difficult?

(I read a few reviews on advrider.)

#2 · (Edited)
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/329...V1PfjBx3qeA3OEAQYASABEgKbF_D_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Went to site, it says naviation, I found another site Our name is a combination of the words naval and aviation.:surprise: I think the web designer doesn't use English as the first language . They say ; Maps Available( You can leave message for the maps you want, we will install it before shipping out): AlliExpress says

Below it says the Bluetooth is useless with IPhone and Android
https://ae01.alicdn.com/kf/HTB1pbWmQQzoK1RjSZFlq6yi4VXaa.jpg

I doubt you will get comparable to Garmin , possibly the roads but I doubt much else.
European: Albania Andorra Austria Belarus Belgium Bosnia Herzegovina Bulgaria Croatia Cyprus Czech Republic Denmark Estonia Finland Macedonia France Germany Gibraltar Greece Hungary Iceland Ireland Italy Kosovo Latvia Liechtenstein Lithuania Luxembourg Malta Moldova Monaco Montenegro Netherlands Norway Poland Portugal Romania Russia San Marino Serbia Slovakia Slovenia Spain Sweden Switzerland Turkey Ukraine United_Kingdom Vatican City

North America: America Canada Mexico

Australia: Australia New Zealand

South America: Argentina Brazil Chile Colombia Costa Rica French Guiana Guadeloupe Mayotte Peru Uruguay Venezuela

Asian1: Brunei India Indonesia Kazakhstan Malaysia Philippines Singapore Sri Lanka Thailand Vietnam

Asian2: HongKong Macao Taiwan

Middle East: Bahrain Iraq Israel Jordan Kuwait Lebanon Oman Qatar Saudi Arabia United Arab Emirates

My Opinion, save the over $100 and throw it at a Garmin. There is no mention of what it uses for its antenna, that is, is it satellite ?

#4 ·
One of my biggest concerns (besides build quality, software stability and the age and wage of the children who likely produced it) is in the idea that the map is baked in by the manufacturer. This implies to me that updates will never happen.

If your roads never change, new connections are never added, and politicians never approve projects where you ride, great! You'll never need to update a map. Right? [emoji6][emoji16]

#6 ·
I baught one of these Fodsports 5" GPS a few days ago, Yes they are satalite navigation systems and come with iGO pro already installed, but im thinking that this is an unofficial copy as when I tried to get map updates via the websight that the instructions specify (Naviextras) its not supported.
Being an android unit and much the same as any cell phone, I just deleted the iGO software and installed CoPilot from Google Play, Ok You have to pay a yearly subscription to get updates, but its only around £12 im guessing thats about $15 and CoPilot has Motorcycle settings

#7 ·
Garmin zumo 395 lm

Further to starting this thread - I have NOW bought TWO refurbished "GARMIN ZUMO 395 LM" GPS units, for about $210US each, delivered, one for BC, one for AZ.

My previous Nuvi 550 waterproof GPS units have BEGUN dying, first the BC one (DEAD!) and NOW the AZ one so I'll be back to having the identical units on EACH of my V650s.

#8 ·
It sounds like your GPS is a cellphone packaged in a GPS housing. If you can load android apps, look at mapsME it's a free off line worldwide program. Not sure if you can plan routes on a computer and load them to the program. I run it on an old cell phone north up at 20 to 50 mile range along side of my garmin GPS. It gives me a broad view of where I am when riding skinny roads.

#9 · (Edited)
I don't want to get too far OT, but for those who are considering the GPS v. cell phone options, in addition to what JPD says above, a couple of years ago I bought a 2nd-hand water-proof/shock-proof/glove-friendly(ish)/large screen Android phone (Kyocera Duraforce) for $75 to use solely for map/nav on the bike instead of a dedicated GPS unit. I run an off-line map/nav app (OsmAnd, but there are others). No data plan (GPS doesn't use data), no carrier, not even a SIM card, so ongoing costs are zero. I can still use it on WiFi when stopped for anything you'd use a traditional cell phone for on WiFi (incl. email, Skype and Facetime), and of course it can make 911 calls anytime. I'm no phone or GPS expert, believe me, so I rely on the experts over on ADVrider.com for advice on all this. :laugh2: They have a large sub-forum just on GPS, with several long threads on the cell phone alternative.

#10 · (Edited)
Consider a dedicated GPS unit is really just a dumbed down phone. They usually have a similar screen size although usually with lower resolution, a slower microprocessor and no phone radio or speakers. For this reason, the only difference between a dedicated GPS unit and a phone these days, when used as a GPS unit, is the software and Garman and Tom Tom even sell their GPS software for phone users. Phone users can pick their GPS software from Google Play or the Apple Store and much of the software is free.

IMO the modern cell phone has eliminated the need for a dedicated GPS unit. Currently, Google Play offers 20+ GPS and other motorcycle related apps for Android. With modern vibration and waterproof proof cell phones, there is little reason to purchase a dedicated GPS unit these days as it will offer no more capability than you are already carrying around with you in your cell phone.

Access to data or cell phone towers is a non issue with a phone if you cache maps using Google Maps or use a downloaded GPS program with its own maps.

I use my phone on the bike and in the car as a GPS unit with a X-Grip from ram mount that I simply transfer to the vehicle I'm using.

My only complaint with this, and it probably applies to GPS units as well, is if the phone gets wet due to rain, the USB C plug MUST dry out before you can charge or power the phone with a cord.

#11 ·
I'm also on the cell-phone as GPS side... with the communications capability and number of great apps available (I really like Gaia Maps) it makes sense. I was about to try a FodSports then realized... hey I have this old phone sitting around... If I had to buy something, I'd find a phone on eBay and not look back.

In the end... they're just tools that serve a purpose. Use what you enjoy!

#12 ·
I have had an android GPS in my Jeep for years, and one on my bike for at least two years. Getting on a bit I just cannot make out the smaller screen of a phone.
My Jeep unit is 6 inches and my Fodsports 5". I still have trouble on the bike when the sun is out though, and the sun is out a lot in Queensland.

As stated above you can install any software you like on the units Micro SD card, or its onboard memory. I have stuck with the iGo and a friendly Asian local now offers via eBay a download of updated maps, which come out every quarter. Keeping the same system on both means $16.99 to update the maps on both. I update both units every year or so.
Yes, I guess the units are like all of those Gucci handbags out there, but they work and have been reliable for me.

#13 · (Edited)
I had a version of this many years back. Does not look like they changed it. The power connection mount is a flawed design and provides a intermittent power connection causing the unit to exhaust it's internal batteries and power down.

Software avail for now discontinued Win CE is pirated and likely out of date.

Don't buy it. Instead I would recommend you get an XGrip kit that fits your bike and car and a modern android smart phone that is water proof with a quality protective case (Mous, Otter Box, Spigen, etc.) and adhesive screen protector. It will be much more versatile.

Screen is better on phone as is processing power and there is a plethora of GPS and motorcycle specific software available to download.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.