• 2 Post By onewizard
  • 1 Post By dadsafrantic
  • 2 Post By Yorkshiregal

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-12-2020, 01:21 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
FODSPORTS GPS - Chinese made

Have any of you tried this GPS, and if so - good, bad, or indifferent?

Do you pay to upload new maps? Difficult?

(I read a few reviews on advrider.)

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-12-2020, 02:01 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/3291...E&gclsrc=aw.ds

Went to site, it says naviation, I found another site Our name is a combination of the words naval and aviation. I think the web designer doesn't use English as the first language . They say ; Maps Available( You can leave message for the maps you want, we will install it before shipping out): AlliExpress says

Below it says the Bluetooth is useless with IPhone and Android
https://ae01.alicdn.com/kf/HTB1pbWmQ...lq6yi4VXaa.jpg

I doubt you will get comparable to Garmin , possibly the roads but I doubt much else.
European: Albania Andorra Austria Belarus Belgium Bosnia Herzegovina Bulgaria Croatia Cyprus Czech Republic Denmark Estonia Finland Macedonia France Germany Gibraltar Greece Hungary Iceland Ireland Italy Kosovo Latvia Liechtenstein Lithuania Luxembourg Malta Moldova Monaco Montenegro Netherlands Norway Poland Portugal Romania Russia San Marino Serbia Slovakia Slovenia Spain Sweden Switzerland Turkey Ukraine United_Kingdom Vatican City

North America: America Canada Mexico

Australia: Australia New Zealand

South America: Argentina Brazil Chile Colombia Costa Rica French Guiana Guadeloupe Mayotte Peru Uruguay Venezuela

Asian1: Brunei India Indonesia Kazakhstan Malaysia Philippines Singapore Sri Lanka Thailand Vietnam

Asian2: HongKong Macao Taiwan

Middle East: Bahrain Iraq Israel Jordan Kuwait Lebanon Oman Qatar Saudi Arabia United Arab Emirates

My Opinion, save the over $100 and throw it at a Garmin. There is no mention of what it uses for its antenna, that is, is it satellite ?
quexpress and 52Degrees like this.

Last edited by onewizard; 01-12-2020 at 02:12 PM.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-13-2020, 09:41 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
i've had tomtom for a couple of iterations and have been very happy.

Dadsafrantic

2018 versys 650 lt
0 miles- 8/15/19

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-13-2020, 09:47 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by onewizard View Post
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/3291...E&gclsrc=aw.ds

Went to site, it says naviation, I found another site Our name is a combination of the words naval and aviation. I think the web designer doesn't use English as the first language . They say ; Maps Available( You can leave message for the maps you want, we will install it before shipping out): AlliExpress says

Below it says the Bluetooth is useless with IPhone and Android
https://ae01.alicdn.com/kf/HTB1pbWmQ...lq6yi4VXaa.jpg

I doubt you will get comparable to Garmin , possibly the roads but I doubt much else.
European: Albania Andorra Austria Belarus Belgium Bosnia Herzegovina Bulgaria Croatia Cyprus Czech Republic Denmark Estonia Finland Macedonia France Germany Gibraltar Greece Hungary Iceland Ireland Italy Kosovo Latvia Liechtenstein Lithuania Luxembourg Malta Moldova Monaco Montenegro Netherlands Norway Poland Portugal Romania Russia San Marino Serbia Slovakia Slovenia Spain Sweden Switzerland Turkey Ukraine United_Kingdom Vatican City

North America: America Canada Mexico

Australia: Australia New Zealand

South America: Argentina Brazil Chile Colombia Costa Rica French Guiana Guadeloupe Mayotte Peru Uruguay Venezuela

Asian1: Brunei India Indonesia Kazakhstan Malaysia Philippines Singapore Sri Lanka Thailand Vietnam

Asian2: HongKong Macao Taiwan

Middle East: Bahrain Iraq Israel Jordan Kuwait Lebanon Oman Qatar Saudi Arabia United Arab Emirates

My Opinion, save the over $100 and throw it at a Garmin. There is no mention of what it uses for its antenna, that is, is it satellite ?
One of my biggest concerns (besides build quality, software stability and the age and wage of the children who likely produced it) is in the idea that the map is baked in by the manufacturer. This implies to me that updates will never happen.

If your roads never change, new connections are never added, and politicians never approve projects where you ride, great! You'll never need to update a map. Right?

2016 KLZ1000GBFAL
No mods yet
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-14-2020, 09:33 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 52Degrees View Post
One of my biggest concerns (besides build quality, software stability and the age and wage of the children who likely produced it) is in the idea that the map is baked in by the manufacturer. This implies to me that updates will never happen.

If your roads never change, new connections are never added, and politicians never approve projects where you ride, great! You'll never need to update a map. Right?
that's a problem i didn't think of. both my tomtoms have free lifetime maps. both still work well too.
52Degrees likes this.

Dadsafrantic

2018 versys 650 lt
0 miles- 8/15/19

post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 10:04 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
I baught one of these Fodsports 5" GPS a few days ago, Yes they are satalite navigation systems and come with iGO pro already installed, but im thinking that this is an unofficial copy as when I tried to get map updates via the websight that the instructions specify (Naviextras) its not supported.
Being an android unit and much the same as any cell phone, I just deleted the iGO software and installed CoPilot from Google Play, Ok You have to pay a yearly subscription to get updates, but its only around 12 im guessing thats about $15 and CoPilot has Motorcycle settings
onewizard and Fastoman like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode