What did you do on your versys today?/ 2020 - Page 5 - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Like Tree100Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #81 of 157 (permalink) Old 02-28-2020, 05:35 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Rode 100 miles today! Low 40’s for temps. Got real windy half way thru my ride or I would have ridden more. It felt good to cure a little cabin fever. Tried out my new Alpinestars Andes cold weather jacket and pants. Both performed very well. Now I need to find some gloves. Hands were cold...
weljo2001 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #82 of 157 (permalink) Old 02-28-2020, 11:24 PM

I greased my steering head bearings today. 2016 with 17000 miles and it was maybe a bit overdue but there was some grease in there and very little dirt. Took about 4 hours start to finish, including a run to the hardware store for the 12mm allen bit to loosen the nut over the top triple.

The sheet of ice in front of my storage space is slowly thinning, so its almost riding season in CO!

2016 Versys 650LT - Madstad, T-Bob, LeoVince, SeatConcepts, HyperPro CSC Damper, Shoodabeen Flashed
2003 KLR 685 - +1mm IN & EX SS valves P&P, Innovate Wideband O2 Sensor, Progressive 465 w/ RAP, ThermoBob
post #83 of 157 (permalink) Old 02-29-2020, 01:02 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobMontana View Post
...Now I need to find some gloves. Hands were cold....
I FINALLY got heated grips (KOSO APOLLO grips) a couple of years ago, after reading "weljo" enthusiastically recommending them. I have to say that I too LOVE them, as they are ALWAYS ready to warm my hands up!...a LITTLE or a LOT!

IMG_2849 by Ed Copeman, on Flickr

The ON/OFF switch is on the left grip just where your thumb can find it when you need it!

IMG_2850 by Ed Copeman, on Flickr

weljo2001 and jaaklucas like this.

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #84 of 157 (permalink) Old 02-29-2020, 02:28 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Remove crash bar so I can adjust foot gear lever after adding lowering foot-peg kit (last week),and riding almost 2 hours (120 km)

Gas for heating, diesel for plowing, electricity for cooking, petrol for driving
post #85 of 157 (permalink) Old 02-29-2020, 02:46 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Garage
Finally got everything buttoned up, panels back on, seat on etc after doing valve check and shim, TB balance, vacuum line extend, aux lights, brake-activated headlight and a starter ground relay. Looking forward to an actual ride.

Until then, here's another riding photo Never too early; those training wheels don't play well with mud...

[/url]

Here to learn.
post #86 of 157 (permalink) Old 02-29-2020, 03:06 PM

In Estonia it is at least a full month till riding weather, so what I have done in these days to my new 2019 bike is this (first chance to work on the bike as I only bought it mid last season):

1. Strip all the fairings and remove the tank mainly just to get comfortable with the procedure if I need to do it roadside on my future travels.
2. While at it, re-route my Oxford Heated Grips wires and tuck them properly under the tank with the main harness.
3. Practice headlight bulb change with fairings on so I can do it roadside in 30 seconds in the future. While at it, swapped the OEM Osram Original line H7 bulbs for Osram Night Breaker Silver.
4. Used heat gun to remove the salad green stripes from the rims and fairings, now my bike is just silver and black, I never liked the neon(ish) bling-bling.
6. Before all the above, actually, installed some 8 mm bolts with lock nuts to act as swing arm bobbins and started using a paddock stand. As Mk3 V650 has ABS leads running below the swing arm right side, you cannot just use the "support from below console type" rear stand. Good thing to learn, had to buy some adapters.
7. Checked wheel alignment with the chain alignment tool and found it to be straight, however this means that the swing arm marks are not accurate. I am thinking of gluing a new scale on top of the original marks so that in the future I would not have to measure or come back to a single known good point.
8. Confirmed that 12000 km on the original D222 tires has worn the rear quite square but there is still life left in it, can do another few thousand km if needed
9. Fitted 35 mm bar risers
10. Fitted phone mount bar between the windshield stays
11. Cut and shortened the arm holding the reflector below the number plate, reflector is now right below the number plate and tail looks better
12. Removed the amber side reflectors from the front mudguard, I know it is some EU safety regulation but that is ugly crap.
13. Swapped rear number plate lighting bulb and DLR bulbs from 5W incandescent to 1W LED, gentlemen, that is a whole 12W in power savings
AmbientMoto likes this.
post #87 of 157 (permalink) Old 03-01-2020, 12:06 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
After 3 months winter Kawi hibernation got out on my 650 for first ride of the year. Bluebird day, a little cool. You take 3 months off and you realize how much you have missed something. Just gear up and go and see where the day takes you...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Kawi 2020.jpg (133.7 KB, 9 views)
post #88 of 157 (permalink) Old 03-01-2020, 12:27 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristjan Valk View Post
...Checked wheel alignment with the chain alignment tool and found it to be straight, however this means that the swing arm marks are not accurate. I am thinking of gluing a new scale on top of the original marks so that in the future I would not have to measure or come back to a single known good point....
As you have NOW established that your rear wheel IS aligned, I suggest that IN FUTURE when adjusting your chain, CAREFULLY count the number of 'flats' you move the adjuster [there are SIX flats in one FULL turn], then repeat on the other side and it will stay aligned. FWIW - I can't remember adjusting my chain more than two or three 'flats', and I added one 'dimple' to the outside-facing flat w/ a center punch, then put TWO dimples at the rear-face - three flats away.

MotionPro tool by Ed Copeman, on Flickr

IMG_0223 by Ed Copeman, on Flickr

IMG_0224 by Ed Copeman, on Flickr

That way IF you get "out-of-whack" you can come back.
dadsafrantic, jaaklucas and SteveJ like this.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC

post #89 of 157 (permalink) Old 03-01-2020, 06:35 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristjan Valk View Post
...Checked wheel alignment with the chain alignment tool and found it to be straight, however this means that the swing arm marks are not accurate. I am thinking of gluing a new scale on top of the original marks so that in the future I would not have to measure or come back to a single known good point....
As you have NOW established that your rear wheel IS aligned, I suggest that IN FUTURE when adjusting your chain, CAREFULLY count the number of 'flats' you move the adjuster [there are SIX flats in one FULL turn], then repeat on the other side and it will stay aligned. FWIW - I can't remember adjusting my chain more than two or three 'flats', and I added one 'dimple' to the outside-facing flat w/ a center punch, then put TWO dimples at the rear-face - three flats away.

MotionPro tool by Ed Copeman, on Flickr

IMG_0223 by Ed Copeman, on Flickr

IMG_0224 by Ed Copeman, on Flickr

That way IF you get "out-of-whack" you can come back.
This is a great idea!
dadsafrantic likes this.

Here to learn.
post #90 of 157 (permalink) Old 03-01-2020, 06:58 PM

Garage
Got out for a short ride, first since the valve check/shim and TB balance.

The difference was easily noticed, even for an inexperienced rider like myself. The bottom end is smoother. The first/second gear slow speed jerkiness is much reduced. I’m happy, and I know my clearances are all within spec (at the loose end).

All modifications are working great... except my LED indicators. They work as expected with the engine off, but whilst riding I have rapid flashing. So I’ll have to figure that one out. Ugh.

Here to learn.
post #91 of 157 (permalink) Old 03-02-2020, 10:54 AM

Garage
Center of Texas and Dinosaurs

Rode 263 miles (round trip) to see the Geographical Center of Texas. Weather was in the high 60s for most of the day, with 20 - 30 MPH winds out of the south east. It made for challenging ride in some of the flat wide open areas.

This was the first stop on the MC Grand Tour of Texas (MCGTTX.com) and it was the first one I chose to pursue, since I really hadn't done anything like this before. Overall time on the bike was about 5 hours.

I also stopped and snapped some photos photos of local courthouses.

While not technically today.... the prior day I made a test ride to Dublin TX to see where they once made the best Dr. Pepper in the world.

And then swung over to see dinosaur tracks at Dinosaur Valley State Park.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20200301_155658.jpg (74.3 KB, 80 views)
File Type: jpg 20200301_165120.jpg (61.5 KB, 77 views)
File Type: jpg 20200229_135828.jpg (44.8 KB, 77 views)
File Type: jpg 20200229_163424.jpg (46.9 KB, 78 views)

2014 Versys 650 ABS (Green Machine)
2009 Versys 650 (Old Blue )
post #92 of 157 (permalink) Old 03-02-2020, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmbientMoto View Post
All modifications are working great... except my LED indicators. They work as expected with the engine off, but whilst riding I have rapid flashing. So I’ll have to figure that one out. Ugh.
I believe its because the LEDs use so little power that the flasher unit will need to be replaced to match the resistance of the new lights. Not expensive. In my case, I bought LEDs for my flashing lights that were meant to stock right in, properly matched to the bike but more expensive.

Last edited by fasteddiecopeman; 03-02-2020 at 02:10 PM.
post #93 of 157 (permalink) Old 03-02-2020, 12:46 PM

Garage
@jaaklucas I did replace the flasher, with a unit proven to work with the Versys... so now I'll troubleshoot...

Here to learn.
post #94 of 157 (permalink) Old 03-02-2020, 02:12 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by robotdog View Post
Rode 263 miles (round trip) to see the Geographical Center of Texas. Weather was in the high 60s for most of the day, with 20 - 30 MPH winds out of the south east. It made for challenging ride in some of the flat wide open areas.
TWO questions about your V650 - did you change the color of your swing-arm? and who makes the black "beak" I believe I'm seeing on it?

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC

post #95 of 157 (permalink) Old 03-02-2020, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmbientMoto View Post
@jaaklucas I did replace the flasher, with a unit proven to work with the Versys... so now I'll troubleshoot...
So I remember going through all this a bit so this may be right. Our N. American bikes have CANBUS, which is a system that flashes quickly when one bulb dies to let you know its gone. Because LED uses so little power it can trick out the CANBUS warning system causing the quick flash. Its a matter of resistance I believe so you need a specific LED resisted flasher. In my case the LEDs were already properly resisted so no mod neccesary. This also helps if one blows I can replace just one with OEM till I get another LED. PM Onewizard if you get stuck...
post #96 of 157 (permalink) Old 03-02-2020, 05:25 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
TWO questions about your V650 - did you change the color of your swing-arm? and who makes the black "beak" I believe I'm seeing on it?
The swing arm is original OEM. I've seen others with the same.

And the beak was on the bike when I got it. There isn't any logo or mfg. names either. I suspect it was made in China.

Sorry I couldn't help more.

post #97 of 157 (permalink) Old 03-02-2020, 06:01 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:

This was the first stop on the MC Grand Tour of Texas (MCGTTX.com) and it was the first one I chose to pursue, since I really hadn't done anything like this before. Overall time on the bike was about 5 hours.

I also stopped and snapped some photos photos of local courthouses.

While not technically today.... the prior day I made a test ride to Dublin TX to see where they once made the best Dr. Pepper in the world.

And then swung over to see dinosaur tracks at Dinosaur Valley State Park.

You can still get the Dublin Dr.Pepper in certain stores. I worked for Dr.Pepper Bottling Co out of Ft.Worth. Some of the smaller stores out in Justin and in between Glen Rose carried it...Before Dr.Pepper i worked for Pepsi Co and my brother worked for Coca Cola so we always had plenty of sodas on hand. We could buy them at the plant for $2.00 a case...

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

“The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits.” – Albert Einstein
post #98 of 157 (permalink) Old 03-02-2020, 06:15 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by weljo2001 View Post
You can still get the Dublin Dr.Pepper in certain stores. I worked for Dr.Pepper Bottling Co out of Ft.Worth. Some of the smaller stores out in Justin and in between Glen Rose carried it...
I took the museum and bottling plant tour, which was very cool. However, I did learn that they stopped making the Dublin Dr. Pepper in 2012, due to the lawsuit with Snapple/Dr. Pepper. After the merger of the Snapple/Dr. Pepper companies, the new company sued quite a few of smaller bottlers out of existence, including the Dublin operation. Which btw, was the oldest one in Texas.

for those who don't know, the Dublin bottler used Pure Cane sugar (Imperial from Sugarland TX) whereas the other bottlers used High Fructose Corn Syrup.
dadsafrantic and weljo2001 like this.

post #99 of 157 (permalink) Old 03-02-2020, 07:02 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
I took the museum and bottling plant tour, which was very cool. However, I did learn that they stopped making the Dublin Dr. Pepper in 2012, due to the lawsuit with Snapple/Dr. Pepper. After the merger of the Snapple/Dr. Pepper companies, the new company sued quite a few of smaller bottlers out of existence, including the Dublin operation. Which btw, was the oldest one in Texas.

for those who don't know, the Dublin bottler used Pure Cane sugar (Imperial from Sugarland TX) whereas the other bottlers used High Fructose Corn Syrup.

Didn't know about that. I left Texas in 2004 and went back and forth from Texas, California and Puerto Rico till 2011

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

“The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits.” – Albert Einstein
post #100 of 157 (permalink) Old 03-08-2020, 07:38 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tested new technique of washing motorbike (when is only bugs on motorbike), which I heard from my friend.
Only wet microfiber and all bugs are gone, from windshield and from other parts on motorbike.
If is to much bugs, spray them with windshield washer fluid, wait 2-3 minutes, rinse with water, spray again, wait 2-3 minutes and use microfiber to clean them.
Works 100% for me, no scrathers on paint.
15 minutes, and motorbike is clean.
jaaklucas likes this.

Gas for heating, diesel for plowing, electricity for cooking, petrol for driving

Last edited by kardan; 03-08-2020 at 07:43 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode