Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

Mobil 1 15W50 Oil / Ontario Canada

5K views 13 replies 7 participants last post by  Smiley 
#1 ·
FYI NAPA has a special on site says $8.99 plus tax, got 7 ordered but total shows $63.91 plus HST which equals $9.13 per liter, still about $5 per liter less.
https://www.napacanada.com/en/p/ESS122378

#3 ·
I Wish

Walmart Canada carries Mobil 1 oil , just not the 15W50. Canadian tire stocks it at $14.45 a liter, so double what you pay. And it is liter size they are selling not a 4.7 liter jug.

#4 ·
WOW / Just a Phone # / No Credit Card

Yes with tax about $10 a liter as opposed to $16.32 per liter , normally I find it takes more than 2 liters as I change the filter every oil change. Got a phone call it was ready for pickup, less than 6 blocks from my house, had to run out to my barbecue supplier and get a new igniter, finally found out way it fails after a good rain, just gave him the old one , warranty :thumb::thumb::thumb:. Found the "rubber" button has a groove in it, I highlighted this because I use the term Rubber , loosely, more plastic than rubber. The new one has a much tighter fitting groove, however I put some silicone into the groove after taking it apart ( Yes :grin2: all things come apart, the trick is to understand and not damage it in the process) .Last time I waited a day and when I walked in, it had dried out sufficiently to work again. Today I tried my hot air solder station, no luck so now it is replaced :clap:

#10 ·
Oil Change Interval / 12000 KM -7600 Miles

Yes with tax about $10 a liter as opposed to $16.32 per liter , normally I find it takes more than 2 liters as I change the filter every oil change. Got a phone call it was ready for pickup, less than 6 blocks from my house, had to run out to my barbecue supplier and get a new igniter, finally found out way it fails after a good rain, just gave him the old one , warranty :thumb::thumb::thumb:. Found the "rubber" button has a groove in it, I highlighted this because I use the term Rubber , loosely, more plastic than rubber. The new one has a much tighter fitting groove, however I put some silicone into the groove after taking it apart ( Yes :grin2: all things come apart, the trick is to understand and not damage it in the process) .Last time I waited a day and when I walked in, it had dried out sufficiently to work again. Today I tried my hot air solder station, no luck so now it is replaced :clap:

This is the new standard in the X300 and Versys 650 as of 2017, 12000 KM is a long distance, I change around 9000 KM or less, or every year, each change includes a new Versys filter, purchased from the dealer for less than a generic filter costs. As to the cost of the oil, last year I used my last cheaper Mobil 1 oil, I am now set for 3 oil changes. If I add up the cost of the Napa oil and the filter, just slightly over the cost of one tank of fuel. I should mention I installed my magnetic drain plug from my 07 into the Mk-3. As to the life of the motor, the valve shim check and vacuum sync plus the ThermoBob and series regulator play a far greater role , than the oil. I run 15W50 primarily because of many early posts on this forum @jdrocks , for one, full synthetic oil does make the transmission smoother and at 0'C I know I have lubrication unaffected by cold as to viscosity . So I saved about $16 over a regular oil change going to Napa.
My primary reason for posting is because Mobil 1 15W50 rarely is on sale, FYI Napa web site sucks, however I got lucky finding it using google. And I thought it would be nice to share what I found.:grin2:

Reactions: quexpress
#7 ·
HuH ??

>:) I will let the "whine and snivel" guy explain it.
I have over 20,000 KM on Mobil 1 15W50. Since I am running the ThermoBob #4 on the discharge side, my engine runs at 187'F winter and summer, since the flash the fan comes on around 197''F
The oil is always at that temperature, I was really surprised how long it takes to get to 187'F when it is 0'C out, my bypass gauge is extremely accurate. I have noticed that when around 3'C riding at or above 100 KM/HR the engine never goes above 190'C , even though I am running around 6000 RPM, that cold air cools the engine and oil pan. Absolutely love the ThermoBob I have.

Reactions: Smiley
#8 ·
Those synthetic oil changes are spendy. :surprise:

I'll stick to dino oil with the JASO rating Kawasaki call for. Being of Scotch descent, I don't see the value in spending big bucks to supposedly increase engine life to some extreme mileage that only the next owner will benefit from.

But you guys go ahead, I'm not criticizing, it's your $$$.

#11 ·
Mobil 1 15W50 Oil Is an Excellent Choice

Another proven choice is Rotella T Synthetic 5-40.
I've used Mobil 1 15W50 for a few years in 2002-2004 and then switched to Rotella T Synthetic 5-40 which I have been using since then.
IMHO as long as oils with friction modifiers are avoided, you're all set.
Synthetic oils are not a MUST ... but make your engine and clutch run smoother.
Just my 2 Canuck cents. :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.